The Unofficial 2014 Aussie Open Thread

Who I want to win: Rafa
Who I think will win: Novak
Who also can win: Delpo

Who I want to win: Azarenka
Who I think I will win: Serena
Who also can win: ????

Let me say I feel really creepy with this username these days. No disrespect.

My only prediction is no prediction because I haven't kept up with any off season news except the experts' picks in the past week. Based on that, it looks like Boris Becker will win the AO. Stefan Edberg will not. Uncle Toni will come in second. Michael Chang will not.

Rhyne Williams plays Juan Martin Del Potro tonight. Ouch.

Reactions: 1 person

My only prediction is no prediction because I haven't kept up with any off season news except the experts' picks in the past week. Based on that, it looks like Boris Becker will win the AO. Stefan Edberg will not. Uncle Toni will come in second. Michael Chang will not.

Sorry to hear about your moniker.

Here is my unofficial breakdown:

First Quadrant:
#1 seed: Rafael Nadal
#4 seed: Delpo

Other Notables:
#22 seed: Grigor
#27 seed: Paire
#25 seed: Monfils

Analysis:
Nadal actually gets a tough first round matchup against the unpredictable but highly talented hometown boy Bernard Tomic (I really like Tomic as a player...bummer he got this draw). If Nadal gets by Tomic, he'll coast in the second round, and then potentially get Gael Monfils in the third round. Monfils pushed him to three in their tune-up tourney, but I just don't see Monfils beating Nadal in a five set match. And if Nadal gets past that, he'll be good until the final of his quadrant (the quarterfinals), where he could potentially get matched up against Delpo.

I think this is going to be a breakout year for Delpo, who finished the year 2013 strong and won his tune-up tourney in Sydney. It's tough to pick against Nadal, but Delpo certainly has the ability beat him.

Sucks that Rhyne drew Delpo in the first round. He has zero chance of winning that match.

Second Quadrant:
#4 seed: Andy Murray
#6 seed: Roger Federer

Other notables:
#10 seed: Tsonga
#31 seed: Verdasco

Analysis:
This quadrant is the most wide open of the bunch, I think. I have no idea what to think about Federer who can still beat anybody in a five set match not named Nadal or Djokovic, but who can also lose to just about anybody. I would peg Murray as the odds-on favorite -- and I guess he really does have to be considered that -- but he has had poor showings since coming back from his injury, and so I don't know what kind of performance we're going to get out of him. Don't be surprised if Tsonga comes out of this one.

3rd Quadrant:
#3 seed: Ferrer
#7 seed: Berdych

Other Notables:
#20 seed: Janowicz

Analysis:
Berdych has a cake draw here. He really shouldn't get tested until the quarters. There, he'l play either Ferrer or Janowicz...more than likely Ferrer. And I think he'll beat Ferrer. All things considered, this is probably the weakest quadrant.

4th Quadrant:
#2 seed: Djokovic
#8 seed: Wawrinka

Other Notables:
#9 seed: Gasquet
#23 seed: Gulbis
#28 seed: Pospisil

Analysis:
Djokovic should roll pretty easily until the fourth round where he could get matched up against the volatile but dangerous Gulbis. But I just don't see a realistic possibility that Djokovic loses until the final of this quadrant, where he could get matched up against Stan "The Man" Wawrinka. We know that Wawrinka can give him a tough match, and has come very close to beating him the last two times they've met in majors.

Wawrinka doesn't exactly have a bye till the quarters, though. He could get tested by Pospisil in round 3, and then Gasquet and his vials of cocaine in round 4. If Wawrinka stumbles before the quarterfinals, you may as well just put Djokovic semis as Stan is the only one in this quadrant that imho has a realistic possibility of beating Djoker.

Faint-hearted Predictions:
Nadal v. Tsonga
Djokovic v. Berdych

Nadal v. Djokovic

Djokovic

Yeah, I like Tomic. He has some seriously crafty game. Sucks he got injured.

Geez! I meant "Tomic." I thought something didn't quite look right about my previous post. I'm like you though, I want Nadal to win but think Djoker will. The women's draw, I honestly don't care. It's hard to get into women's tennis when it seems like there's a different champ at every major. The only constant has been Serena.

Isner had the best quote about the heat level they are experiencing this week on court when he said it reminded him of when he opens the oven to see if the potatoes are done. Classic.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Speaking of classic:

2eksyf9.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Sad to see Del Po already out. Starting to wonder if he'll ever get back to his US Open form. Glad to see Nadal moving on to face Monfils though. Should be a good 3rd round matchup, but Nadal should move on.

Morning, gents. Jo-Willie v. Fed today. That could be a very good match to watch.
Serena went down. Pretty sure the back injury had something to do w/ it. Can't say I'm sad to see the disingenuous Serena go down, though, especially to someone w/ the bod of Ana.
Sloane Stephens takes on Azarenka, today, as well. Go Sloane!

Morning, gents. Jo-Willie v. Fed today. That could be a very good match to watch.
Serena went down. Pretty sure the back injury had something to do w/ it. Can't say I'm sad to see the disingenuous Serena go down, though, especially to someone w/ the bod of Ana.
Sloane Stephens takes on Azarenka, today, as well. Go Sloane!

Yeah, I tend to pull for American athletes, but I've never been able to get behind the Williams sisters. They just strike me as extremely arrogant. I could be wrong about that though.

Yeah, I tend to pull for American athletes, but I've never been able to get behind the Williams sisters. They just strike me as extremely arrogant. I could be wrong about that though.

You're not. Do you teach at UT?

Why the uneasiness w/ the username, D? Something going on w/ Dyron?
I'm totally with you on the Boris Becker pick. Dude is a beast at the net...

Why the uneasiness w/ the username, D? Something going on w/ Dyron?
I'm totally with you on the Boris Becker pick. Dude is a beast at the net...

Yeah MemphisB, Dyron passed away a few weeks back.

I have yet to watch a single match of this year's AO. I hope to be awake during the Fed-Tsonga match tonight.

Anything other than Djoker-Rafa final will be a shock.

Yeah MemphisB, Dyron passed away a few weeks back.

I have yet to watch a single match of this year's AO. I hope to be awake during the Fed-Tsonga match tonight.

Anything other than Djoker-Rafa final will be a shock.

Man, I hate to hear that. My very first day at UT, Dyron was the guy in front of me in the line at registration. He was one of my all-time favorites. Keep the handle. It's a good one.

I think you're probably right about Djoke/Rafa. Isn't it funny how in years past ANY guy in the top 50 could win it? Now, unfortunately, it's like the women's game. You can pretty much nail the women's bracket just by looking at their seed.

Eh, I like Serena, but I'm okay seeing somebody else win from time to time.

Holy smokes! The great Djoker went down to Wawrinka! This tournament is really shaping up for whoever comes out of the top half of the men's draw, in my opinion. Although Berdych and Wawrinka are obviously playing very well down under.

VN Store

Back