Who is your sports hero and why?

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
Who: Rafael Nadal.

Rafael Nadal vs Novak Djokovic FULL Highlights Final US OPEN 2013 - YouTube

Why: I've played tennis all my life and I've always been very much a grinder. My serve has always been very mediocre and I'm not the type of player to go for winners when I get into a rally. Rather, when I get into a rally the goal is to make it a war of attrition. To be able to get to -- and then put into play -- one more ball than my opponent. Now there have been lots of these guys in professional tennis. Bjorn Borg fit this mold but was before my time. So the guys that I saw play who were grinders were undersized guys like Michael Chang and Lleyton Hewitt. And so the first time I ever saw Nadal play I was taken aback to see this absolute bull of a man play a grinder style. I mean, literally the first time I saw him play my thoughts were: "how in the world would you ever beat this guy?

People are still trying to figure that out.

ETA: Apparently I'm not the only one: Why I Will Always Remember Rafael Nadal (HD) - YouTube

Last edited:
One for each of the major sports:

Cal Ripken Jr - Lived in the DC area when I was a kid and went to Memorial Stadium half a dozen times with my old man. Best SS all time, IMO. Only middle infielder with 3000 and 400 and of course he's the ironman.

Peyton Manning - Because he's a VFL and beyond that I admire his unrivaled dedication to being the most prepared guy on the field. He's probably the worst all-around athlete at his position, but he's the best QB in the league right now.

John Stockton - Compared to all the great guards in the NBA he had the longest (19 years) and most consistent career. He was excellent from the moment he stepped on the court for the first time until he played his last minute. As a 40-year-old man he averaged 14.0, 10.0, and 2.2 per 36 minutes, shooting a TS% of .577

VN Store

Back