My childhood sports heroes

ssvol7

Ks to Ws
I've been a Vol fan for a month and a half now. That being said, up until mid July I was a huge Auburn fan. I still pull for the tigers but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be no blue running with my orange come November 9th.

I got to thinking about my childhood heroes the other day and realized that despite being an Auburn fan, I idolized a few former Vols. This list is pretty current considering I'm pretty new to planet Earth compared to most of the folks on this board. So without any further ado, here's my top five.

5. Junior Rosegreen - Auburn Safety
Junior was a beast. I remember watching the AU vs. UT game in 04, Junior accounted for FIVE turnovers in that game. He had the INT that sealed the win in the AU vs LSU game that year. He also had a hit against UGA that knocked UGA's Reggie Brown unconscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Y9wt3XkHo

52071760_display_image.jpg

4. Randy Johnson - Arizona Diamondbacks Pitcher

The Big Unit was the man. As a lefty, I tried to model my pitching style after his. I used to peer over my glove at the batter, and cover my entire face except for my eyes. He missed bats, got Ks, and drove batters insane. Exactly the things I enjoy doing today :). He also made a bird disappear with a fastball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEUW3pQX6A

Randy-Johnson-Seattle-Mariners.jpg

3. Peyton Manning - Indianapolis Colts Quarterback

Peyton knows football. I remember watching him call his audibles at the line of scrimmage and thinking "This guy could coach the team and play quarterback at the same time." The fact that he was directly responsible for three Bama beat downs helped a little too.

peyton-manning.jpg

2. Carnell "Cadillac" Williams - Auburn Running Back

My favorite Auburn player of all time. He was quick and agile, but could run over a defender if need be. He won rookie of the year in the NFL and set all kinds of rookie records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-sUrMLkuY

carnell12toddvanjpg-71556efd7e038953_medium.jpg

1. Todd Helton - Colorado Rockies First Baseman

Back when I still thought of myself as a hitter, Helton was my idol. It's a shame but he's probably going to go down as one of the best hitting first basemen to not make it into the HOF because of injures. When my dad told me that Todd Helton played baseball for UT, I just automatically assumed that UT had the best baseball program in the country and won the CWS every year. The fact that he got to 2,500 hits a few days ago sealed his spot at #1 on my list.

1378086483000-AP-Reds-Rockies-Baseball.jpg

That's my top 5, what's yours?

Just curious..how does one go about all of a sudden being a Tennessee fan after liking auburn for so long?

Reactions: 1 person
My list in no particular order. Though I would say idols, not heroes.

Barry Sanders
Ken Griffey Jr
Penny Hardaway
Peerless Price
Derek Jeter
Don Mattingly
Joe Gibbs
John Elway
Terrell Davis
Jamal Lewis(I still remember where I was when he went over 2,000 yds)
Warrick Dunn

Last edited:
1. Bo Jackson
2. Rickey Henderson
3. Michael Jordan
4. Dale Murphy
5. Art Monk

No order:

Wayne Gretzky - worshipped him after I got into hockey. Even though he had retired.

Nomar Garciaparra - He hit a HR in the first ever baseball and Dodgers game I watched. Blew my mind.

Tom Kristensen - his performance during the 2008 Le Mans 24 Hours went down as one of the best drives ever in a sports car race. Being there too, to witness his eighth overall win was a true sight to behold. Truth In 24 - YouTube

Dwayne Wade - Shaq made me curious about basketball, Wade made me a fan. I will also never forget his dunk against the Nets in London, my first live dunk. Dwyane Wade Posterizes New Jersey (10.12.08) - YouTube

Brett Favre - when I started watching football, I had no idea what was going on. It is unlikely that without Brett being so exciting back in 2006 when I saw him play the bears, that I would have become a football fan, a packers fan or a vols fan.

1. Reggie White
2. Ken Griffey Jr.
3. Thurman Thomas
4. Bruce Smith
5. Derrick Thomas

Cal Ripken Jr
Jose Canseco
Emmitt Smith
Michael Jordan
Ken Griffey Jr
Shawn Kemp
Charles Barkley
John Stockton
Ron Gant
Todd Kelly

I had way too many to name 'em all, but those are the first that come to mind.

1st is Ken Griffey Jr, i even named my dog Griffey.

The rest are in no particular order

Dennis Rodman
Deion Sanders
Heath Shuler
Peyton Manning
Shawn Kemp
Rey Ordonez
Andruw Jones
Reggie White
Frank Thomas
Jeff Bagwell

Last edited:
Strawberry, Archie and Peyton Manning, Goose Gossage, Doc Gooden and Jim Plunkett - Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld

Condredge Holloway
Stanley Morgan
Larry Seivers
Haskel Stanback
Mark Spitz

VN Store

Back