The (Unofficial) 2013 Aussie Open Thread

kidbourbon

Disgusting!
I think three people can win this:

1. Novak Djokovic
2. Andy Murray
3. Delpo

I got Novak. Who ya got?

I know no one else cares about the women's game, but my girl Ana looked pretty dominant today in a 6-2, 6-1 rout. Hopefully she can stay healthy this year and return to her old form.

Here is how I see it playing out:

Quadrant 1: Djokovic will destroy Ryan Harrison and then destroy Feliciano Lopez and then destroy Sam Querrey and then he'll beat Berdych in four to put him in the final four.

Quadrant 2: This is by far the weakest quadrant of the drawn. David Ferrer is the highest ranked guy in the quadrant, and I think he wins it unless he gets taken out by an up and comer like Jersey Janowicz, who does have a lot of game. Another possibility is Kei Nishikori, but I still think Ferrer will advanc out of this quadrant.

Semifinal match between Quadrant 1 and Quadrant 2: Djokovic beats Ferrer and beats him badly.

Quadrant 3: This quadrant has both former Vols that made it into the main draw: Rhyne Williams and JP Smith. This is a strong quadrant. You've got Delpo at the top and Murray at the bottom. And I think it will be between Delpo and Murray for who comes out of here. Federer will be praying that Delpo takes out Murray, because Federer seems to do well against Delpo, and I think Murray would be favored over Federer. I will definitely watch Delpo v. Murray if they play.

Quadrant 4: You've got Federer at the bottom of the draw and Jo Willie Tsonga at the top. I can't say for sure that Jo Willie will make it all the way through to the quarters. He is just too erratic. You can't count on him. I do think Federer will definitely make it to the quarters. If he gets Jo Willie, he might lose. If he gets anybody else, he'll win.

Semifinals: I'm going to predict that Federer makes it out of his quadrant. I think either Delpo or Murray will beat him. I'll go out on a limb and say it's Delpo.

Finals: Djokovic v. Delpo. Djokovic wins in 4 sets.

I dont think he can win it, and I think he feels like he owes it to his country to do so. He's their "only hope" and I just dont think he can get it done, even if he's at 100%.

ATP Men's Singles - Australian Open Outright Winner 2013

Novak Djokovic 10/11

Andy Murray 13/4

Roger Federer 5/1

Juan Martin Del Potro 18/1

David Ferrer 22/1

Bernard Tomic 40/1

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 40/1

Tomas Berdych 40/1

Milos Raonic 66/1

Jerzy Janowicz 100/1

Janko Tipsarevic 125/1

Kei Nishikori 150/1

Nikolay Davydenko 150/1

Marcos Baghdatis 200/1

Richard Gasquet 200/1

Rhyne Williams wins his first set against Florian Mayer, 6-2.

JP Smith loses first set 4-6.

Dammit. Rhyne played a marathon fourth set tiebreak and had multiple match points, but now he's down a break in the 5th.

Would have been a nice upset.

Edit: Down 2 breaks now. 4-1. Looking like it's over. Darn.

Smith lost in straights.

That's a real damn shame what just happened to Brian Baker. I wish that I hadn't been watching the match when that happened. Tore me up. You could read his mind thinking that his last shot at playing pro tennis just ended with that knee injury. Carted off the court in a wheel chair.

If you know his back story there's no way you didn't get choked up when he tried to get back up and walk it off, then turned to Querry to say he couldn't continue. The heartbreak was written all over his face.

Dammit. Rhyne played a marathon fourth set tiebreak and had multiple match points, but now he's down a break in the 5th.

Would have been a nice upset.

Edit: Down 2 breaks now. 4-1. Looking like it's over. Darn.

Smith lost in straights.

Rhyne should have won that match. He broke down mentally in that last set.

That's a real damn shame what just happened to Brian Baker. I wish that I hadn't been watching the match when that happened. Tore me up. You could read his mind thinking that his last shot at playing pro tennis just ended with that knee injury. Carted off the court in a wheel chair.

If you know his back story there's no way you didn't get choked up when he tried to get back up and walk it off, then turned to Querry to say he couldn't continue. The heartbreak was written all over his face.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Dude is a really good damn tennis player, but his body just isn't meant for the grind.

Did y'all see the whuppin Djoker put on Ryan Harrison? Wow. He beat him in like an hour.

Similarly, Joao Sousa is getting his ass handed to him pretty good by Andy Murray.

Anyone picking Tomic over Federer tonight? Tomic is in form leading into the AO, but he should've been taken out in the last round by Brands (score line was 6-7, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6).

To my knowledge, Federer didn't play a single match leading in to AO and his form hasn't been superb so far.

It could get interesting, but I see a tight 4-set Federer win.

Im thinking the winner of the whole shebang comes from Djoker, Murray, or DelPo. Most likely Djoker, but Murray is the hot player with all the mojo. As a wildcard, I'll throw the name Berdych out there. Not sure why, just a gut feeling he might string together a run down under. The Kevin Anderson v. Berdych match in the next round may be a serving thump fest.

Anyone picking Tomic over Federer tonight? Tomic is in form leading into the AO, but he should've been taken out in the last round by Brands (score line was 6-7, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6).

To my knowledge, Federer didn't play a single match leading in to AO and his form hasn't been superb so far.

It could get interesting, but I see a tight 4-set Federer win.

Im thinking the winner of the whole shebang comes from Djoker, Murray, or DelPo. Most likely Djoker, but Murray is the hot player with all the mojo. As a wildcard, I'll throw the name Berdych out there. Not sure why, just a gut feeling he might string together a run down under. The Kevin Anderson v. Berdych match in the next round may be a serving thump fest.

I was shocked when Delpo got taken out. Jeremy Chardy? Are you freakin kidding me?

Ferrer is getting worked over right now by Almagro. I won't rule out Ferrer winning in five, but I also don't think it's the most likely outcome at this point. Either way, I'm not sure it matters if Djoker beats Berdych. Djoker will smoke Almagro. Djoker will smoke Ferrer.

Murray will beat Chardy in three sets. Tsonga/Federer is a tough one to predict because Tsonga is such a wildcard of a player. I'll say Federer in four sets.

Murray vs. Federer, if that comes to be, will be a great semifinal matchup. I'll have to give the nod to Murray, but I wouldn't be shocked if Fed ended up prevailing. The problem for Fed is that he'll (likely) have to beat Murray and then Djoker to win the tourney, and I just don't see that happening.

I think Djoker is still the heavy favorite, especially if he gets past Berdych tonight.

I don't follow the women's game too too much, but I might try to watch Sloane Stephens vs. Serena. Serena is playing out of her mind right now, I don't give Stephens much of a chance, but it will be interesting to see if she can at least make a match of it.

Ferrer fights back from two sets down against Almagro to take it in 5. And I'm not surprised he came back and took it in 5.

VN Store

Back