2960 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The (Unofficial) 2013 Aussie Open Thread Page 2. within the forum Sports Forum. Originally Posted by DyronNix That's a real damn shame what just happened to Brian Baker. I wish that I hadn't ...

Go Back   VolNation > Sports Forums > Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyronNix View Post
That's a real damn shame what just happened to Brian Baker. I wish that I hadn't been watching the match when that happened. Tore me up. You could read his mind thinking that his last shot at playing pro tennis just ended with that knee injury. Carted off the court in a wheel chair.

If you know his back story there's no way you didn't get choked up when he tried to get back up and walk it off, then turned to Querry to say he couldn't continue. The heartbreak was written all over his face.
Yeah, it's a bummer. Dude is a really good damn tennis player, but his body just isn't meant for the grind.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Did y'all see the whuppin Djoker put on Ryan Harrison? Wow. He beat him in like an hour.

Similarly, Joao Sousa is getting his ass handed to him pretty good by Andy Murray.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Anyone picking Tomic over Federer tonight? Tomic is in form leading into the AO, but he should've been taken out in the last round by Brands (score line was 6-7, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6).

To my knowledge, Federer didn't play a single match leading in to AO and his form hasn't been superb so far.

It could get interesting, but I see a tight 4-set Federer win.

Im thinking the winner of the whole shebang comes from Djoker, Murray, or DelPo. Most likely Djoker, but Murray is the hot player with all the mojo. As a wildcard, I'll throw the name Berdych out there. Not sure why, just a gut feeling he might string together a run down under. The Kevin Anderson v. Berdych match in the next round may be a serving thump fest.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Internets Expert

Well?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Internets Expert

Where is the official thread?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Where is the official thread?
We don't do official threads around here.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Quote:
Anyone picking Tomic over Federer tonight? Tomic is in form leading into the AO, but he should've been taken out in the last round by Brands (score line was 6-7, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6).

To my knowledge, Federer didn't play a single match leading in to AO and his form hasn't been superb so far.

It could get interesting, but I see a tight 4-set Federer win.

Im thinking the winner of the whole shebang comes from Djoker, Murray, or DelPo. Most likely Djoker, but Murray is the hot player with all the mojo. As a wildcard, I'll throw the name Berdych out there. Not sure why, just a gut feeling he might string together a run down under. The Kevin Anderson v. Berdych match in the next round may be a serving thump fest.

I was shocked when Delpo got taken out. Jeremy Chardy? Are you freakin kidding me?

Ferrer is getting worked over right now by Almagro. I won't rule out Ferrer winning in five, but I also don't think it's the most likely outcome at this point. Either way, I'm not sure it matters if Djoker beats Berdych. Djoker will smoke Almagro. Djoker will smoke Ferrer.

Murray will beat Chardy in three sets. Tsonga/Federer is a tough one to predict because Tsonga is such a wildcard of a player. I'll say Federer in four sets.

Murray vs. Federer, if that comes to be, will be a great semifinal matchup. I'll have to give the nod to Murray, but I wouldn't be shocked if Fed ended up prevailing. The problem for Fed is that he'll (likely) have to beat Murray and then Djoker to win the tourney, and I just don't see that happening.

I think Djoker is still the heavy favorite, especially if he gets past Berdych tonight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Disgusting!

I don't follow the women's game too too much, but I might try to watch Sloane Stephens vs. Serena. Serena is playing out of her mind right now, I don't give Stephens much of a chance, but it will be interesting to see if she can at least make a match of it.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Ferrer fights back from two sets down against Almagro to take it in 5. And I'm not surprised he came back and took it in 5.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Novak Djokovic is really good at tennis.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #26 (permalink)

I haven't seen Murray's form yet so don't know if he picked up from where he left off last season, but I suspect he did.

I've seen Federer and Djokovic play. I"m not sure Djoker can be beaten right now even if he isn't playing his absolute best. Mentally, he cannot be broken down right now.

Federer is playing well, but the draw is just too much to ask. IF he gets past Tsonga, he has Murray, and then Djokovic. I would call it 50/50 on the Tsonga match, and then RF is the underdog the rest of the way.

Almagro's brain cramped in the third and 4th sets. Im not sure how many chances he had to serve the match out, but it was more than I've ever seen the eventual loser have. I love Almagro's backhand. He has nothing upstairs though.

Heading down the stretch, I see a Djoker v. Murray final. I give the slight edge to Djoker for reasons stated, but Murray is the momentum pick.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Quote:
I haven't seen Murray's form yet so don't know if he picked up from where he left off last season, but I suspect he did.

I've seen Federer and Djokovic play. I"m not sure Djoker can be beaten right now even if he isn't playing his absolute best. Mentally, he cannot be broken down right now.

Djoker cannot be beaten right now.

Quote:

Federer is playing well, but the draw is just too much to ask. IF he gets past Tsonga, he has Murray, and then Djokovic. I would call it 50/50 on the Tsonga match, and then RF is the underdog the rest of the way.

I completely agree. There is no way he is beating Tsonga and then Murray and then Djokovic. It's not happening. But I do think he'll beat Tsonga.

Quote:

Almagro's brain cramped in the third and 4th sets. Im not sure how many chances he had to serve the match out, but it was more than I've ever seen the eventual loser have. I love Almagro's backhand. He has nothing upstairs though.
Yeah, Almagro is a really good player. But he is also a known choke artist. And yesterday was one of his best efforts in that regard. Here is another:

YouTube Link

Quote:

Heading down the stretch, I see a Djoker v. Murray final. I give the slight edge to Djoker for reasons stated, but Murray is the momentum pick.
I give Djoker more than a slight edge. Murray is playing well, but I very much believe that Djoker's best is better than Murray's best. I think Djoker wins it in four.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Disgusting!

And if Ferrer can win a set off Djokovic, he should consider it a moral victory because he certainly isn't winning the match.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Disgusting!

Quote:

I actually haven't seen Murray yet play either. But I just can't imagine him beating Djoker the way Djoker is playing right now.

He won 44% of the points when Berdych was serving. That's just silly.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

I agree about Djokovic. You'd thought he would struggle against Berdych after the 5-hour slugfest against Wawrinka. Novak is now the most mentally tough player on tour. He explains it as "not being afraid to lose" in big matches and on big points. As anyone that has played competitive tennis on any level can attest, that is a HUGE state of mind.

I also think the Murray of 2013 is a player to be reckoned with. It remains to be seen, but I think the Olympic gold plus his first slam title changes everything for him. He can now play slam matches without the weight of unfulfilled expectations holding him back.

All I know from this point on, I will be losing lots of sleep to watch the AO unfold.