3110 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Lance Armstrong. The Cheat. Page 7. within the forum Sports Forum. In a sport where you dope and win or don't dope and lose, what would you do. If you choose ...

Go Back   VolNation > Sports Forums > Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #91 (permalink)
Stir Stick

In a sport where you dope and win or don't dope and lose, what would you do. If you choose the later you better be independently wealthy because you won't have the first sponsor if you don't win and win consistently. The US Government should back off. It pisses me off that the "Postal Service" was actually sponsoring that team and then want's to piss and moan about being broke. I would put forth that over 90% of that sport is doping on the pro level and I really could care less. He was the best of the supermen and I still think he was awesome when he raced. Now, the thing that bothers me is that there is conjecture that his cancer was caused by his doping. To me that is the biggest issue.
Anyone can achieve their fullest potential, who we are might be predetermined, but the path we follow is always of our own choosing. We should never allow our fears or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny. Your destiny can't be changed but, it can be challenged. Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
BRB Pooping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours Pret View Post
Can I get a quick rundown of what purpose teammates serve?
Pacing, drafting, marking on climbs, going back to team car to get water and bringing it back to GC contenders, leading out sprints, attacking on climbs, getting into and controlling breakaways, or controlling the peloton when a break with another teammate is away and the rest want to catch, and generally just keeping the GC contender safe from crashing.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #93 (permalink)
BRB Pooping

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVol View Post
Same as nascar, for drafting, blocking and causing wrecks. Hell, idk....sounds good though.
Swing and a miss. It's nothing like 'Neck-car other than drafting. Even then drafting in cycling is more complicated than a car racing. Riders are smaller and a lot less predictable.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #94 (permalink)
Still on the Lane Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLatile View Post
Pacing, drafting, marking on climbs, going back to team car to get water and bringing it back to GC contenders, leading out sprints, attacking on climbs, getting into and controlling breakaways, or controlling the peloton when a break with another teammate is away and the rest want to catch, and generally just keeping the GC contender safe from crashing.
I know none of what you talked about, but more or less they're just aides
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #95 (permalink)
BRB Pooping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours Pret View Post
I know none of what you talked about, but more or less they're just aides
More. They're there to win, too. If their team wins, they get a portion of the prize money. They get chances to win stages or to be designated as contenders for other races.

Domestiques are aides. They get the water or help pace a rider back to the peloton after a flat. Climbers pace the GC contender up mountains and do the dirty work of marking other GC contenders on the mountains. They also compete for the mountain classification points jersey. Sprinters get the flat stages. Everyone else, including the GC contenders, form a lead out train which sets up the sprint. Watching the lead outs form near the end of a stage is magnificent.

Then there's Thor Hushovd, who is one of the best sprinters. Sprinters generally finish last on mountain stages because they're not climbers and want to save their legs for sprints. However, Thor has solo'd to win multiple mountain stages of the TdF while also winning sprint stages and the green, sprinter's classification jersey.

Last edited by VOLatile; 01-18-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #96 (permalink)

What does holding somebody accountable have to do w pussification of America?

The dude ruined people's lives and should have to pay the price.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #97 (permalink)

Lance got me interested in cycling. I bought a bike because of him and I could care less if he took Roids! I'm sure all bike companies made mega tons of money too from people that got interested in bikes from him. He may have ruined some live, but also made a lot more lives better!

Last edited by jbeard82; 01-27-2013 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP