The Fishing Thread

Cartervol

5 star member
Old Hickory Lake(2/27/11)- East Station Camp Creek, Spence Creek areas

Surface temp- 49-53 degrees in most places. Found 54 degree water in the back of one creek.

Water Clarity- Cloudy to muddy

Wind- 14-17 mph Southwest

Bite is slow as you can imagine with those water temps. The rains messed up the main lake and all the northern creeks. Ended up staying in Spence most of the day. Caught 4 small largemouth on a jig and pig and one drum on a crankbait. I hate drum. That was it in 3 hours of fishing. I didn't move the jig, i'd just let it set and they'd pick it up. If you didn't watch your line you would have never knew anything hit it. The bite was light and tough. Fish caught anywhere between 8-14 foot of water. All bites what few there were i got on deep water dropoffs.

The fish are slowly coming to the banks.

Better days ahead, the water is warming fast and they'll be all over the shallow flats before long.

Hey, there is a hunting thread so why not this?:dunno:

Last edited:
Went ice fishing for the first time in my life this month, loved it. Caught two pikes and 8 beers.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Went ice fishing for the first time in my life this month, loved it. Caught two pikes and 8 beers.
I'm glad i don't live where that is a possibility. I imagine it can be fun and if it isn't you can drink enough to make it fun.:)

Was going to take the boat out to Barkley this weekend, until my uncle said the banks were littered with dead shad and the bass weren't biting at all. May get out this Sat if rain doesnt move in.

Was going to take the boat out to Barkley this weekend, until my uncle said the banks were littered with dead shad and the bass weren't biting at all. May get out this Sat if rain doesnt move in.
Barkley is a great lake, usually do pretty well there. The bass weren't really biting today either, should get better real soon.

Plan on getting out in the nex couple of weeks to try the Crappie on Cheatham Lake just above the dam. Water is a little warmer there than on Old Hickory. Crappie are hitting very lightly in anywhere from 12 to 18 feet on Cheatham, bass are very slow.

Water temp in stones river above Percy Priest is hovering a little above 60 degrees. The weather has the fish pushed down but the bait fish are starting to move into shallower water.

I'll have a report on Percy Priest by the weekend, then Guntersville next weekend.

My dad has caught 54 keeper crappies in the past two weekends on Kentucky Lake.

Two were over 2 and a half pounds.

I haven't had the chance to go yet.

I've always had better luck fishing for Crappie on Priest. Hair jigs and minnows. Take both and find which one they bite best that day. Most of the time it's going to be the minnow. I've heard good things about the Gulp baits for Crappie but haven't tried them myself. Stuff is a little over priced if you ask me.

I've always had better luck fishing for Crappie on Priest. Hair jigs and minnows. Take both and find which one they bite best that day. Most of the time it's going to be the minnow. I've heard good things about the Gulp baits for Crappie but haven't tried them myself. Stuff is a little over priced if you ask me.

I've put out hundreds of crappie beds on Kentucky Lake.

It's hard for me to crappie fish anywhere else.

I have had the best luck using either small tubes or hair jigs usually in chartruesse. When crappie are active on bed protecting spawn live minnows are the only way to go.

caught a few wild brookies this morning, ice has finally opened enough and the streams are running fairly low, considering the weather.

Justin, GPS coordinates would be nice Haha jk.
Yeah i second that. Better yet i'll come get you, drive you around your spots and way point them as i go.:) Just kidding.

I love Kentucky lake, i just can't make that trip every time. Located in hermitage(10 miles) outside of Nashville. I can be on Priest or Old Hickory within 15 minutes. I do have a tournament on Kentucky Lake this year so i'll be up there in early April to prefish anyway.

Yeah i second that. Better yet i'll come get you, drive you around your spots and way point them as i go.:) Just kidding.

I love Kentucky lake, i just can't make that trip every time. Located in hermitage(10 miles) outside of Nashville. I can be on Priest or Old Hickory within 15 minutes. I do have a tournament on Kentucky Lake this year so i'll be up there in early April to prefish anyway.

I grew up fishing Cuba Landing then my dad got a camper close to Danville.

We now have a little house up there we stay at or else I'd be a full-time Old Hickory or Priest lake fisherman.

Where is the tournament at on Kentucky Lake?

I grew up fishing Cuba Landing then my dad got a camper close to Danville.

We now have a little house up there we stay at or else I'd be a full-time Old Hickory or Priest lake fisherman.

Where is the tournament at on Kentucky Lake?

Launch is out of Paris Landing. We fish one event there a year and sometimes come back for our end of the year two day tournament in October. Takes a twenty pound sack a day to make a check though, so you better have them dialed in. I love fishing those ridges out on the channel, when you get on them you can load the boat fast.

VN Store

Back