6573 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on UFC Thread Page 480. within the forum Sports Forum. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 10-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #7186
LittleCat
Resident Cat

UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
I know the UFC is afraid to water down the significance of the belt (which could be argued has already happened). You have 2 pretty simple solutions.

1)Monitor weight for the month leading up. If a fighter is x % too far over a week or two weeks out, then no fight. This will stop people like Kevin Lee cutting 20 pounds in a day or so.

2) Change the divisions altogether. 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, and then heavyweight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #7187
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
How does #2 fix anything? Doesn't it just shift the goal posts? Kevin Lee still tries to fight at 155, whether WW is 165 or 170, right?

While we're on the topic, I would really like to see a 240 lb division and move heavyweight up to 275.

"...players today are boarder [sic] line thugs. Look at UT in the past few years, they have a rapist mentality." - VolStrom
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #7188
Orangeslice13
can't spell/dosen't care

UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_huffhines View Post
How does #2 fix anything? Doesn't it just shift the goal posts? Kevin Lee still tries to fight at 155, whether WW is 165 or 170, right?

While we're on the topic, I would really like to see a 240 lb division and move heavyweight up to 275.
You can solve the problem by handling it the way amateur wrestling does. You weigh in at a starting point and pass a hydration test. Then there is a period of time where you can move up or down in weight from there. You cannot cut a bunch of weight for the first way in because you will not pass the hydration test. It would mean most voters (edit: fighters) could not cut more than 5 to 10 pounds to fight from there walking around weights

Last edited by Orangeslice13; 10-10-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #7189
LittleCat
Resident Cat

UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
Quote:

It doesn't fix the problem directly, but you would hope guys like Lee would choose 165 over 155. But there would have to be a motivation for moving up.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #7190
volnbama_

Quote:
They gotta change this.

Scary Scene at MMA Weigh-In as Barely Conscious Fighter Is Carried onto Scale | Bleacher Report

My solution is to weigh the fighter periodically during the lead up to the fight. Something like three weeks out, start weighing them 2x a week and say you are a lightweight, you gotta be within 5 lbs of fight weight every time. It will force fighters to be healthier.

These fight cancellations because of weight cuts are ridiculous and somebody is going to die of organ failure.
Or just have guys fight at their actual weight
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #7191
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by volnbama_ View Post
Or just have guys fight at their actual weight
How would you make a rule for that? Do you mean you just weigh in at fight time?

"...players today are boarder [sic] line thugs. Look at UT in the past few years, they have a rapist mentality." - VolStrom
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #7192
volnbama_

Quote:
How would you make a rule for that? Do you mean you just weigh in at fight time?
I heard Rogan talking about it on his podcast but I will need to go back and listen. Basically he believes his idea would reduce last minute drop outs and make fighting more fair for fighters that don't drop weight to make cut
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #7193
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volnbama_ View Post
I heard Rogan talking about it on his podcast but I will need to go back and listen. Basically he believes his idea would reduce last minute drop outs and make fighting more fair for fighters that don't drop weight to make cut
I think it all depends on what makes fighters be their best. I doubt walking around weight is anybody's best self. I think a modest weight cut makes them be their best.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #7194
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

UFC 215 - 100k PPV buys
UFC 216 - 120k

These are abysmal numbers. 216 was actually a pretty good card, too.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #7195
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

Cormier:

Quote:
I think [Ferguson] is really good. I think his cardio and pace are fantastic. I believe he makes some mistakes that would really cost him against Conor,. Oh my goodness, do you see how high he’s holding his chin up when he’s throwing punches. You do that against McGregor, you’re getting sniped. You’re getting sniped!

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #7196
Ethan Hooper

UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread UFC Thread
Better matchmaking and doing a better job of promoting your fighters will go a long way.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #7197
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

Greg Hardy has been training with ATT and has an amateur bout coming up.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #7198
Notorious B.E.N

Quote:
Greg Hardy has been training with ATT and has an amateur bout coming up.
Is he gonna fight a man or a woman?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #7199
n_huffhines
What's it gonna cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious B.E.N View Post
Is he gonna fight a man or a woman?
Part of me wants him to completely fail and the other part of me wants him to do well enough that I get to see him KO'd cold a few times.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #7200
Notorious B.E.N

Quote:
Part of me wants him to completely fail and the other part of me wants him to do well enough that I get to see him KO'd cold a few times.
That is a tough call.
Reply With Quote TOP