2606 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on UFC Thread Page 2. within the forum Sports Forum. Originally Posted by Larkin He dislocated the shoulder, still brutal, Nog should have tapped Earlier Following hospital visits, UFC futures ...

Go Back   VolNation > Sports Forums > Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
He dislocated the shoulder, still brutal, Nog should have tapped Earlier
Following hospital visits, UFC futures of 'Big Nog' and Tito Ortiz uncertain | MMAjunkie.com

Quote:
"Big Nog's" last stand?

Meanwhile, Rodrigo Nogueira suffered a broken arm in his dramatic co-main event with Mir after refusing to tap to a deep kimura. UFC officials tweeted a picture of Nogueira's X-ray, revealing the fractured appendage, and White said there may be additional shoulder and elbow damage. Nogueira will on Sunday fly to Los Angeles to seek surgical repair.

White also discussed a potential retirement with the 35-year-old Nogueira following his February 2010 loss to Cain Velasquez. Nogueira also made good on his reprieve, scoring a surprising knockout win over Brendan Schaub at UFC 134.

"The last time, I said after he got knocked out that 'Big Nog' should look at (retiring)," White said. "He got mad at me. He got all bummed out. Then he came out and pulled off that win with Schaub.

"'Big Nog' looked great tonight until that submission."

Indeed, he did, rocking Mir before ultimately falling victim to the nasty finishing hold. But with Nogueira now on the shelf for what looks like a significant amount of time, White said he hopes the legendary Brazilian will at least consider calling an end to a career that dates back to 1999 and includes more than 40 fights many of them all-out wars with fellow superstars Josh Barnett, Fedor Emelianenko, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Bob Sapp, among others.

"You've got to look at a guy's entire career, not just how it's ending," White said. "'Big Nog' has been in wars. I was at the PRIDE fight when he fought Mirko 'Cro Cop.' 'Cro Cop' was just blasting him with kicks to the body and shots to the head. Then he ends up pulling off that submission win in the second round. He's had a career where he's been through wars.

"'Big Nog' is a nice guy, and he's a guy whom I respect. I know they get pissed off at me when I say this stuff, but again, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm the one that makes these decisions. I'm going to have to sit down and talk to him. I don't want to see him get hurt or anybody else."

If Nogueira is done, he would leave with an octagon record of 4-3, including a February 2008 win over Tim Sylvia to become the UFC's interim heavyweight champion, a title he would promptly lose to Mir in the pair's first meeting. His accomplishments in PRIDE would qualify Nogueira as a certain Hall of Famer if one existed for the sport. Currently, the UFC only supports a UFC Hall of Fame, and "Big Nog" would have trouble earning a spot based solely on his work in the octagon.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Freak's mentor

I stand corrected.....wow. I think that is now 4 broken bones claimed for Mir.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Big Member

Looking forward to the Condit fight tonight.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
King Smokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacavolus View Post
Looking forward to the Condit fight tonight.
+1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Big Member

I used to watch UFC all the time. I don't watch much tv at all, so not as much UFC. However, since my kids started jiujitsu, they want to watch it as well because they recognize and can name the various sweeps, holds and moves. Now, I can anticipate some of them, as if I'm watching a more familiar sport like football or basketball.
I used to watch just for entertainment, but I've gained a different perspective that makes it interesting in another way.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
King Smokey

Jon Jones and Rashad Evans going down on April 21st at UFC 145.

Jones will murder Rashad. At least that's what I'm hoping for anyways.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Orange_Pearl View Post
Jon Jones and Rashad Evans going down on April 21st at UFC 145.

Jones will murder Rashad. At least that's what I'm hoping for anyways.
I hate Rashad.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Drop The Leash

Why? ^
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GahLee View Post
Why? ^
Just something about him I don't like, and as a fighter he is kinda boring (other than those two KOs).

Last edited by Blake25p; 02-07-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
King Smokey

I hate Evans too. I don't think there has ever been a fight I've pulled for him in. I always pull for him to get knocked out.

I just don't like the way he fights or the way he acts. There are few fighters I can't stand but he's one of them. Along with Diaz, Sonnen and Bisping. Would have included Lesnar but he apparently retired. I don't believe Diaz will so I included him. Honorable mention, Koscheck and Tito.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

I love Sonnen - he should have been a pro wrestler. He knows how to fuel the hype train and get people to either love him or to hate him and I love his gimmick.

The upcoming fight will be one of the few I actually cheer for Rashad Evans. I think that "Bones" Jones is quickly turning into a punk. I just don't like the way he acts at all. Sometimes a gimmick is a gimmick and other times it's not a gimmick and you are really just a huge douche and I think Jones is turning into one. After he choked out Machida standing to just let go of him like that was insanely dangerous. Yeah, its a dangerous sport but he just dropped him while he was out cold and that could have really hurt him bad and he didn't have to do that. He knew what he was doing.

So, for the first and maybe only time I'll say go Rashad.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Short Sided

I like Rashad. Dude is super good. Maybe a little boring. I think he won me over when he was a TUF coach. Rampage was super funny, always chippin' at him trying to get in his head, but Evans can seriously talk crap with the best of them. He's witty and clever, and he backs it up.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Short Sided

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownNDirty View Post
I love Sonnen - he should have been a pro wrestler. He knows how to fuel the hype train and get people to either love him or to hate him and I love his gimmick.

The upcoming fight will be one of the few I actually cheer for Rashad Evans. I think that "Bones" Jones is quickly turning into a punk. I just don't like the way he acts at all. Sometimes a gimmick is a gimmick and other times it's not a gimmick and you are really just a huge douche and I think Jones is turning into one. After he choked out Machida standing to just let go of him like that was insanely dangerous. Yeah, its a dangerous sport but he just dropped him while he was out cold and that could have really hurt him bad and he didn't have to do that. He knew what he was doing.

So, for the first and maybe only time I'll say go Rashad.
At the same time, it's up to the fighters to protect themselves. It's on Machida for not tapping. If guys tap sooner, everybody is safer. A guy on TUF this season half-tapped, the ref didn't call it, but the guy who thought he won let up and ended up losing the fight. He had the fight won, and then went on to get his brains beat in for a few minutes. You could say Jones was acting in behalf of his best interest by sending a message to future opponents. "Don't be stubborn. Tap."

Not saying I excuse it, or that he gets a pass. I guess I'm just going along with the part of your post where you said it's a dangerous sport.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Conservative & Proud

I was done with Rashad after he grabbed his nuts and taunted Forrest in their fight. I never liked him to begin with, but I instantly hated him after that.
Reply With Quote TOP