Questions about Madness..

Competitively, is it really fair that a one seed like UNC or UCLA get to play two sites within their home state?

Is a .500 major program in it's own conference really more deserving than a high performing mid major these days?

What am I not seeing in Drake?

Is Davidson this season's George Mason?

Is it just a coincidence that every season in which Kentucky is not in the top 5 is a 'down' year in the SEC?

Is a one seed really a 2-1 advantage over a two seed as Pearl suggests?

With the west coast being given so much credit this season, which section of the country draws the most at larges?

Who do I pick as my Final Four??...

well considering the gifts UCLA was given their last two games...I don't think it will play a part in their success................

Statistically, I'd say Pearl is probably right. Throughout the history of the tournament, 50% of 1-seeds have advanced to the Final Four. The other 50% of Final Four participants were made up of seeds 2-11. I think 2-seeds have comprised approximately 25% of Final Four participants.

47 1-seeds have been to the Final Four.

26 2-seeds have been to Final Four.

1-seeds have won the national championship 15 times.

2-seeds have won 6 national championsips.

What's missing in Pearl's analysis of 1s and 2s making the FF is the fact that the one seeds are typically considerably better than the two seeds. He's implying that the route is that much easier from the 1 spot, but it's really only marginally easier. 1 gets a 16, 8, 4 along the way, while the 2 typically gets a 15, 7, 3. The two is a bit tougher route, but the real stats there are driven by the quality of the better 1 seeds is typically very high.

As to the question about playing close to home, that's a part of what the top seeds are earning in being at the top of the heap come the end of the season.

I think the question of the mid major vs middlin major conf team is about the eyeball test as much as anything else. The RPI tries to mitigate some of that, but at the end of the day, folks watching a lot of basketball need to make the decisions. I would probably have a week long selection process in which all member had to watch videos of all bubble teams complete games. I want knowledgeable AND educated folks making decisions, eschewing the lobbying types.

Competitively, is it really fair that a one seed like UNC or UCLA get to play two sites within their home state?

Is a .500 major program in it's own conference really more deserving than a high performing mid major these days?

What am I not seeing in Drake?

Is Davidson this season's George Mason?

Is it just a coincidence that every season in which Kentucky is not in the top 5 is a 'down' year in the SEC?

With the west coast being given so much credit this season, which section of the country draws the most at larges?

Who do I pick as my Final Four??...

Yes

Maybe

Drake is an Auto bid

No Davidson and Steph Curry won't sneak up on people

Kentucky is in the top 5 of the SEC

There is some merit to that statement

I say the east mainly from the Big East and ACC

UT, Memphis, Kansas, UNC

Next year when Memphis hosts a regional, the Tigers won't be allowed to play there, even if they are the #1 overall undefeated seed. So Vols, want to travel back to Memphis next year?

Yes

Maybe

Drake is an Auto bid

No Davidson and Steph Curry won't sneak up on people

Kentucky is in the top 5 of the SEC

There is some merit to that statement

I say the east mainly from the Big East and ACC

UT, Memphis, Kansas, UNC

Bad post. OWH didn't ask about UK being in the top 5 of the SEC.

What's missing in Pearl's analysis of 1s and 2s making the FF is the fact that the one seeds are typically considerably better than the two seeds. He's implying that the route is that much easier from the 1 spot, but it's really only marginally easier. 1 gets a 16, 8, 4 along the way, while the 2 typically gets a 15, 7, 3. The two is a bit tougher route, but the real stats there are driven by the quality of the better 1 seeds is typically very high.

As to the question about playing close to home, that's a part of what the top seeds are earning in being at the top of the heap come the end of the season.

I think the question of the mid major vs middlin major conf team is about the eyeball test as much as anything else. The RPI tries to mitigate some of that, but at the end of the day, folks watching a lot of basketball need to make the decisions. I would probably have a week long selection process in which all member had to watch videos of all bubble teams complete games. I want knowledgeable AND educated folks making decisions, eschewing the lobbying types.

According to an interview on ESPN today, (I missed the start & didn't get his name) a guy who has been on the commitee said they spend five days now, starting today. No mention of watching games though.

VN Store

Back