Metal, revisited

bigdaddy

The Bull3tspung
Staff member
I know there are a few of us out there so I thought I would bring this back. If a mod can find the old thread please merge it as it has some good info on metal bands and such that about three of us enjoy reading.

Newest metal band I just can't listen to enough

Devine Heresy Bleed the Fifth

BD, I know I've tamed (or been tamed) a little bit, but what do you think of Bullet for My Valentine? I also picked up Dillinger Escape Plan.

Bullet for My Valentine is amazing!!! Easily my second favorite band, right behind Coheed and Cambria. I'm actually going to see them in Chicago next Tuesday with Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu at the Aragon Ballroom. I'm excited.

Love them or hate them (and a lot of people do) Avenged Sevenfold puts on a damned good show. I've seen them three times.

PS Dillinger Escape Plan's ex-drummer, Chris Pennie, is now with Coheed And Cambria. Guy is beyond ridiculous on the kit.

Normally I'm not big on Brit metal, but BFMV is pretty good. Not great, but good.

The album I'm listening to right now:

From Autumn To Ashes - Holding a Wolf by the Ears

The opening track, "Death Kult Social Club" is a punch in the face and I love it.

Bullet For My Valentine's first CD was good but I dont like the newest one. It might have one of the dumbest/corniest album titles I have ever heard. I saw Dillinger in Knoxville a few weeks ago and I thought they were great. I like there CD a whole lot too. They had to pull security when Dillinger came out because they feared for the staffs safety with all their swinging guitars and stuff but they put on a pretty good show. Avenged Sevenfold is awful, i'm sorry. Their butchering of Pantera's "Walk" made me want to throw up. They are one of the worst bands to come out in a while. I've been listening to alot of Mychild Mybride, August Burns Red, and Whitechapel recently. August Burns Red still blows me away. They might be my favorite metal band.

I like the first two Avenged albums but I am not a fan of the latest one. I have not heard Bullet For My Valentine as of yet but will give it a shot KD. Been listening to Black Dahlia Murder some lately as well. Still cant go wrong with a little Lamb of God or Burn the Priest in a crunch.

I've cooled on Metal lately, but I still listen to August Burns Red quite a bit. I've been on The Beloved for a few months or so now and sad to hear they broke up. I'm way behind the times I know. My next project will be getting into Devil Wears Prada.

For some reason, I can't compare The Poison and Scream Aim Fire, the two B4MV albums. I like them both, but they're different.

Metal? <Perk> I thought I wa the only metalhead vol fan left on the face of the earth LOL...I go to a lot of shows down here in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area all the time...Saw Exodus two weeks ago...Great show!...Get to see a lot of the older bands making thier comebacks touring down here :)

Metal? <Perk> I thought I wa the only metalhead vol fan left on the face of the earth LOL...I go to a lot of shows down here in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area all the time...Saw Exodus two weeks ago...Great show!...Get to see a lot of the older bands making thier comebacks touring down here :)

Wow Exodus is still touring... cool I wanted to see Anthrax when they were touring witht he original members but didn't get to.

Ok so As I Lay Dying Ocean Between Us is about to go in the CD player. I am sure it won't disappoint but will let you know what I think. Good day for driving out around and listening to metal for a bit.

I like As I Lay Dying... IMO they don't break any new ground whatsoever, but they are probably the best out there right now at using the tried and true forms of metal, and executing them flawlessly. Both in the studio, and from what I hear, on stage.

Maybe not real "metal," but I just heard today that 10 Years is playing in K-town on April 16. Should be a great show. Maybe we can get a VN contingent together for the gig?

Would love to go see 10 Years.. but I'm a bit far away.

Between the Buried and Me, I believe, is the best metal band right now.

So will coach Fulmer.....could not resist with it being in Knoxville and all:p

Taste of Chaos tomorrow in Chicago and I'm going! So excited. There's going to be three Japanese Metal bands there... weird stuff, I tell you what.

Lineup:

Atreyu
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet for My Valentine (Brit)
blessthefall
Mucc (Jap)
D'Espairsray (Jap)
The Underneath (Jap)
IdiotPilot

Impressive.... I didn't think there where any metal heads in and around TN.

Being from NY I'm rather spoiled as I could go to a show several times a week.

Now living just outside of Knoxville, I'm stuck with my Sirius.

Are there local haunts that cater to metal in and around K-town?

Recently heard a track from the new Anthrax album w/ Dan Nelson on vocals. Must say I didn't care for it one bit sam I am.....

-esactun

I just got back from the Taste of Chaos... and might I say... I cannot hear! :rock: <---Me the entire night.

I made it to the very front row for Bullet for My Valentine, blessthefall, and Atreyu before I was unable to last any longer and had myself pulled out (getting pinned against a metal barrier hurts a lot). Avenged Sevenfold was lackluster anyways.

The Japanese metal bands were amazing, to say the least. IdiotPilot, on the other hand, really blew. The guitarist kept trying to get people to dance and the crowd wouldn't. He was whiny.

Atreyu tore the place up, they were amazing.

As for hangouts in K town for metal, not so much. I think the new venue near Braden's furniture (name slips my mind) downtown has booked some metal shows in the past. Atlanta and Nashville are your best choices. I usually go hangout at the Urban bar downtown and slap about 10 bones in the interweb jukebox and fill that place with metal goodness while i play fake darts (soft tip) with the wife. Good times

Dragonforce is pretty sick- if you can stand the prog. rock lyrical cheese. Musically, these guys thrash circles around anyone else out right now.

Dragonforce is pretty sick- if you can stand the prog. rock lyrical cheese. Musically, these guys thrash circles around anyone else out right now.

While they are good, everyone of their songs sounds the same...

VN Store

Back