Leslie McDonald's Junior Season

LifeLongVol90

In the Saints' first game of the season, McDonald had 29 points and 17 rebounds against Overton High School. However, it was a sub-par game by him. He had 11 offensive rebounds, but about six were off his own misses.
Also, Johnny Williams, another junior being recruited by Tennessee, had 12 points and 12 rebounds.

Next game is Saturday against one of the best teams in the state, White Station. Should be one of the best games in the state of Tennessee all season long.
Leslie McDonald vs. Joe Jackson
(Ferrakohn Hall is unavailable to play because of the transfer rules.)

Briarcrest def. White Station tonight, 54-52. Johnny Williams made a lay-up with 4 seconds left to win the game.
Leslie McDonald played like a man. 34 points. 10 rebounds. 10-15 shooting. 14-17 from the free throw line.
Joe Jackson really surprised me. I don't have his official stats, but I believe he had about 20 points with 7 assists. He made a few acrobatic lay-ups in traffic. He has amazing ups for a 5'11 guard. He caught the ball on a dead stop and dunked over a defender.
Jackson had about 6 traveling calls because Gregg Wooten and Cole Faulconer got under his chin and guarded him. He didn't do anything when pressure is put on him, but he is a playmaker.
But McDonald was the star of this night.

Season stats:
63 points (31.5 ppg) 27 rebounds (13.5 rpg)

Tonight, Briarcrest blew out Middle College.
Leslie McDonald played only a few minutes in the second half so his numbers aren't as stellar as they have been.
In 21 minutes, McDonald had 16 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals.
Tennessee recruit Johnny Williams had 17 points, 3 rebounds, and 4 blocks.
Another Tennessee recruit Gregg Wooten had 7 points and 4 assists.
The Saints are 3-0 including the huge victory over White Station. We travel to Peoria, Illinois for a tournament over the Holiday weekend.

Season averages:
Leslie McDonald - 26.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 2.3 apg, 57 fg%
Johnny Williams - 11.7 ppg, 8 rpg, 2.7 bpg, 56 fg%
Gregg Wooten - 9.7 ppg, 2 apg, 2 spg

Over the Thanksgiving Break, Leslie McDonald and the Saints traveled to Peoria, Illinois, for the Tournament of Champions.

Game 1: Briarcrest (TN) vs. Eureka (IL)

Eureka, led by 6'10 center Jordan Prosser, forced the game into a very slow tempo. McDonald had 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 blocks. Johnny Williams had 8 points and 10 rebounds against a quality big man. Gregg Wooten scored 15 points. The Saints defeated Eureka to advance to the Final Four.

Game 2: Briarcrest (TN) vs. Byron (IL)

Another team that played zone and took 45 seconds on every offensive possession. The game was never in doubt, and the Saints had a 15 point lead throughout the game. McDonald never really had to get anything going. He finished with 8 points and 4 rebounds. Williams had 14 points and 11 rebounds. Wooten finished with 4 points and 2 assists.

Championship Game: Briarcrest (TN) vs. Washington (IL)

Washington, led by Indiana signee Matt Roth, had a big advantage playing on their home court. If you don't know anything about Matt Roth, just know he can shoot. From what I saw, he has Chris Lofton ability from beyond the arc. Give him an inch, and he will fire it up. Word is he shot 29 three's in the first game of the tournament.
Anyway, the Saints blew a late lead. Washington hit 12 three pointers (Roth hit 6 of them) including 11 in the second half. In overtime, the Saints had a lead with 1 point lead, but Washington made a fadeaway jumper with 3 seconds left, and Johnny Williams missed a 6-footer as the clock expired.
Leslie McDonald had 16 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists.
Johnny Williams dominated the game with 24 points and 17 rebounds.
Gregg Wooten scored 15 points.
Williams and McDonald were named to the All-Tournament team.

The Saints head back to Memphis with a record of 5-1.

Tonight, Leslie McDonald and the Saints played against Arlington High School.
The Saints won by 17, but held as much as a 24 point lead with the starters in the game.
McDonald scored a quiet 19 points along with 4 rebounds.
Johnny Williams finished with 10 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 blocks.
Gregg Wooten had his best game of the season with 20 points including 4 three-pointers.

Season stats:

Leslie McDonald - 19.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 2 apg, 51.6 fg%, 78.3 ft%
Johnny Williams - 13 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.1 bpg, 55.6 fg%
Gregg Wooten - 11.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, 2.3 spg, 44.6 fg%

Briarcrest vs. Covington

The trio of Leslie McDonald, Johnny Williams, and Gregg Wooten controlled the game.
McDonald finished with 26 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Wooten finished with 21 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists.
Williams finished with 21 points and 13 rebounds.
The Saints win 76-64 and improve their record to 7-1.

Briarcrest vs. Harding

Harding, led by 5* football recruit Marlon Brown, stood up to the Saints, but fell short in the end, 56-55.
Johnny Williams dominated with 18 points and 17 rebounds.
Gregg Wooten continued his recent tear with 18 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists.
Leslie McDonald was held in check with 10 points and 5 rebounds.

Briarcrest vs. Paducah-Tilghman

The Saints headed to Marshall County, KY, for the Marshall County Hoop Fest.
Coaches from around the south were in attendance, including Coach Pearl.
The Saints were not physical enough inside and lost their second game of the season.
Leslie McDonald put on a show with 21 points and 11 rebounds.
Gregg Wooten showed coaches he will be a high-caliber recruit with 20 points.
Johnny Williams had 10 points and 9 rebounds.
The Saints record went to 8-2.

Briarcrest vs. Bartlett

The Saints were not challenged in a 60-35 victory over Bartlett.
Coach Calipari and Coach Roy were in attendance to watch the Saints' three stars.
Leslie McDonald shined with 26 points and 11 rebounds. McDonald was 8-14 from the floor, including 2-2 from deep, and 8-8 from the free throw line.
Johnny Williams struggled but finished with 15 points and 8 rebounds.
Gregg Wooten finished with 8 points and 2 assists.
The Saints are now 9-2.

Season averages:
- Leslie McDonald - 20.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 1.9 apg
- Johnny Williams - 14.1 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 1.8 bpg
- Gregg Wooten - 13.6 ppg, 2.3 apg, 1.8 spg

Tonight, Briarcrest defeated Whitehaven, 74-56.

Gregg Wooten led the Saints with 22 points and 5 assists.
Leslie McDonald scored 17 points, but suffered a slight knee injury in the first half. He played the rest of the game with a knee wrap. He will get it looked at before our next game.
Johnny Williams had another double-double (17 points, 11 rebounds).
Elgin Lee made his season debut tonight and did not disappoint. He had 13 points and 5 assists.

Season Stats:

Leslie McDonald (Class of 09)
- 19.9 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 54.9 fg%, 76.1 ft% in 12 games
- being recruited by Tennessee, Memphis, North Carolina, Indiana, Duke, Georgetown, Ohio St.

Johnny Williams (Class of 09)
- 14.3 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 1.7 bpg, 59.2 fg% in 12 games
- being recruited by Tennessee, Memphis, Mississippi St., Miami, Florida St.

Gregg Wooten (Class of 09)
- 14.3 ppg, 2.5 apg, 1.8 spg, 47 fg% in 12 games
- being recruited by Auburn, Ole Miss, all of C-USA

Elgin Lee (Class of 08)
- 13 ppg, 5 apg in 1 game
- being recruited by Missouri, Miami, Ole Miss, Southern Illinois, and other high mid-major teams

The Briarcrest Saints took home the Arby's Classic championship over the holiday break. Leslie McDonald was named MVP. Elgin Lee, Gregg Wooten, and Johnny Williams were named to the all-tournament team.

All statistics were from the tournament:

G/F Leslie McDonald averaged 22.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists, and 2.8 steals. He also shot 65.5% (38-58) from the field and 82.4% (14-17) from the foul line.
His best game was against Archbishop Carroll (26 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals).

G Elgin Lee averaged 19.3 points, 3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists. He also shot 51.7% (30-58) from the field and 70% (14-20) from the foul line.
His best game was against Archbishop Carroll (21 points, 5 assists).

PG Gregg Wooten averaged 15.3 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.8 assists. He also shot 59% (23-39) from the field, 60% (6-10) from beyond the arc, and 64.3% (9-14) from the foul line.
His best game was against Father Henry Carr of Ontario, Canada (18 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists).

PF Johnny Williams averaged 7.5 points and 8.3 rebounds. He also shot 47.8% (11-13) from the field.
His best game was against Sullivan East (14 points, 11 rebounds), but he collected 10 rebounds against Team Urspring from Germany, which had two 7 footers.

Leslie McDonald charged the Saints' comeback against Christian Brothers High School (17-3).
The Saints trailed by as many as 9 points in the 3rd quarter. They led by two before CBHS banked a 16 footer as time expired.
McDonald (32 points, 12 rebounds) hit two free throws to give the Saints a 3 point lead with 8 seconds left. CBHS missed two trey balls and the Saints won the game.
Briarcrest is now 15-3.

Season stats (18 games):

Leslie McDonald
21.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.6 spg, 1.5 bpg
57.9 fg%, 23.5 3p%, 77.3 ft%

Elgin Lee
16.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.1 spg
47.3 fg%, 33.3 3p%, 62.9 ft%

Gregg Wooten
13.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.4 spg
46.7 fg%, 34.5 3p%, 57.7 ft%

Johnny Williams
12 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.4 bpg
56.9 fg%, 49.3 ft%

LifeLong: I'm guessing you a. live in Memphis and b. follow Briarcrest(call me Captain Obvious). I graduated from CBHS. I haven't really followed much of the HS basketball here, but recently heard about some of the successes of some of the private school programs. I heard that CBHS v. Briarcrest game was a good one to attend. How good are both teams? From some of the people I've talked to they say that Briarcrest's starting 5 is very good, but that if they have to go to their bench for extended periods of time then they are in trouble. True? Any info you have on my alma mater would be appreciated as well, thanks!

LifeLong: I'm guessing you a. live in Memphis and b. follow Briarcrest (call me Captain Obvious). I graduated from CBHS. I haven't really followed much of the HS basketball here, but recently heard about some of the successes of some of the private school programs. I heard that CBHS v. Briarcrest game was a good one to attend. How good are both teams? From some of the people I've talked to they say that Briarcrest's starting 5 is very good, but that if they have to go to their bench for extended periods of time then they are in trouble. True? Any info you have on my alma mater would be appreciated as well, thanks!

Yeah, I'm with the Briarcrest basketball team so that's how I get all the stats.

I would say the people you talked to are correct. Our starting 5 is arguably one of the best in Memphis. The problem is, I think we have only started them all together one time this season (in 21 games). Elgin Lee was suspended for the first 11 games. Jake McCrary has missed 2 games going on football visits, 5 games with injuries, and 2 more with suspensions.
The bench doesn't do any scoring whatsoever. They are simply there to play defense, take care of the ball, and give the ball to the playmakers. Last night, we scored 71 points and beat MUS by 17. We only had four players score (McDonald, Wooten, Williams, Lee).

CBHS is ranked #3 in the state, so losing Chris Walker didn't affect them any. I don't know when you graduated so you may not know who I'm talking about, but Caldwell Starnes probably averages 8 boards per game, mostly offensive boards. Brad Luckett is the same type player, just with a little more perimeter game. Martin Mitchell, the PG, can score at will almost. His pull up jumper can't be stopped. Alex Presley and Drew Barham can make shots from anywhere on the floor, no joke. Their bench is the same as BCS. They are really there to play defense.

Briarcrest won at CBHS in overtime in the first game, but there is no doubt in my mind that CBHS can play with anybody in the state.

Right now, the top 3 teams in the state are (in order according to the AP poll): St. George's, Briarcrest, CBHS.

St. George's beat CBHS on a last second shot last week. Elliot Williams (Duke signee) left the game with a serious knee injury when they were down 12, and somehow came back and won without him. So there isn't much that seperates those three teams. The state champion has to come from those three teams.

I'll be glad to answer any more questions you got about these teams.

Sorry about that. Here we go...

Jan. 8 - Briarcrest @ Tupelo (MS).. L 51-65

The worst game we have played all season. Tupelo hit 8 treys to our none. Leslie McDonald scored 25 points and pulled down 12 rebounds. Not much help from the other playmakers.

Jan. 11 - St. Benedict @ Briarcrest.. W 76-67

Leslie McDonald scored 24 points. Gregg Wooten added 21. Elgin Lee scored 14 points to go along with 6 assists and 6 steals.

Jan. 15 - MUS @ Briarcrest.. W 71-54

Elgin Lee scored 23 points on 11-16 shooting. He also pulled down 9 rebounds and dished out 4 assists. Johnny Williams scored 20 points. Leslie McDonald scored 17 points and had 9 rebounds.

Jan. 17 - Treadwell @ Briarcrest.. W 71-52

In a blowout win, Leslie McDonald scored 19 points. Gregg Wooten led the team with 20 points. Johnny Williams scored 10 points and pulled down 18 rebounds.

Jan. 19 - Briarcrest vs. Northeast Lauderdale (MS).. W 70-52

Leslie McDonald vs. Romero Osby. Osby had 22 points and 12 rebounds. McDonald had 24 points and 8 rebounds, including 3 treys. Elgin Lee finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds.

Jan. 22 - ECS @ Briarcrest.. W 65-51

Leslie McDonald had 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 steals. Elgin Lee had 18 points on 8-10 shooting.

Jan. 25 - CBHS @ Briarcrest.. L 59-62

CBHS, unlike the first meeting, nailed their three-pointers (8-19). Leslie McDonald had 23 points. Gregg Wooten had 17 points and 4 assists. Yale football signee Jake McCrary missed a three at the buzzer to send it into double OT.

Jan. 29 - Briarcrest @ St. Benedict.. W 64-49

Leslie McDonald sprained his ankle in the first quarter, but returned in the second half to finish with 17 points, including 8-8 from the free throw line. Elgin Lee scored 17 points. Johnny Williams scored 20 points against High Point signee Zach Ricketts.

The Saints are now 21-5. They play at MUS tomorrow evening, home against St. George's (Missouri signee Laurence Bowers and Duke signee Elliot Williams, who may not play), and at ECS.

Season Stats:

Leslie McDonald - 21.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.7 spg, 1.3 bpg, 57.3 fg%, 77.2 ft%
Gregg Wooten - 13.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.5 spg, 46.9 fg%
Johnny Williams - 12 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 57 fg%
Elgin Lee - 15.2 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2,4 apg, 1.6 spg, 48.7 fg%

VN Store

Back