Mark Cuban.

It's going to be interesting to see if the owners even give him a chance to bid.

He was interested in the Pirates, they didn't want anything to do with him. He's definately creating a buzz in Chicago. Whats Selig got against him anyway?

It's not just Selig, it's the other owners. Mark Cuban does not fit the mold of a MLB owner whatsoever. They are also deathly afraid that he'll come in and blow the roof off the free agent market.

The real wrench in this though that I heard today that I hadn't considered is that the big issue is that the Cubs are owned by the Tribune Company - a publicly held corporation. Their status as a publicly traded entity might make it more difficult for Selig and Co to dictate which offer to accept.

He's got the funds for a big offer, nobody seems to know who's in charge in Chicago, sounds like the fans want him to come, could you imagine Cuban becoming the owner then bringing A Rod to the cubs.

I'm a huge Cubs fan and I'd love to see it, but it won't happen. As stated previously, he doesn't fit the bill. He isn't the corporate type and is too passionate. He won't even get a chance to bid, sad really.

I honestly think him buying the Cubs could be the best thing that's happened to baseball in many years. The league has been killed with steroid rumors and the whole Bonds thing. Cuban is a very rich owner who could pump alot of excietment and money into one of the most loved sports teams in America. More importantly he's a fan of the game and would probably be at alomst all the games. That's why I like him, he's not like the rest of these owners who just care about the $$ the makes...he's a fan and wants to win.

Mark Cuban purchasing the Cubs would be the best thing to happen to Major League Baseball since integration.

think he'd give the whole town a cannoli if the cubs score more than 10 runs in a game?

Mark Cuban purchasing the Cubs would be the best thing to happen to Major League Baseball since integration.

I'm not 100% sold on that. Something tells me that Mark Cuban without a salary cap might not necessarily be a good thing.

I'm not 100% sold on that. Something tells me that Mark Cuban without a salary cap might not necessarily be a good thing.
How many years has Steinbrenner owned the Yankees and been able to spend in an uninhibited manner? How many World Series has he won? Championships follow smart personnel people, not money.

I think it would be more accurate to say that in MLB championships follow smart people with money.
I don't think money is as nearly important as people think. You know why Kansas City and Pittsburgh stink? Not because the big money teams snatch up their good players when they become eligible for free agency. They stink because they draft people like Jeremy Affeldt and JR House with top 5 picks.

I don't think money is as nearly important as people think. You know why Kansas City and Pittsburgh stink? Not because the big money teams snatch up their good players when they become eligible for free agency. They stink because they draft people like Jeremy Affeldt and JR House with top 5 picks.
True, money is slightly overblown or Baltimore would be in the playoffs every year. The big difference though is that Kansas City has to be perfect organizationally in order to compete while the Yankees farm system can become a sideshow since effectively KC and Pittsburgh act as their AAA teams.

True, money is slightly overblown or Baltimore would be in the playoffs every year. The big difference though is that Kansas City has to be perfect organizationally in order to compete while the Yankees farm system can become a sideshow since effectively KC and Pittsburgh act as their AAA teams.
Not exactly true. Oakland and Minnesota have their share of busts, but they are in a position to contend most years. Also, all of the Yankee teams that have won under Steinbrenner had a bunch of guys they brought up through their system. When they've neglected the farm and depended on mercenaries, they've flopped.

Yeah GA, gotta go with Hat. Look at the Marlins. They're the cheapest bastards in baseball and they're great every fourth year, because they've got the best scouts.

Still though, nothing would give the stodgy old bastards that run the game a better swift kick in the pants than a guy like Cubes coming in and buying a classic franchise. You can only hope to contain him through instituting a salary cap which would effectively kill the two money franchises, Boston and New York.

And that is one thing I believe would happen milo. Cuban buying the Cubs would be the beginning of the introduction of the salary cap. There are owners with personality and owners with money and owners with an eye for talent. And then there is Cuban, a possible owner that has all 3.

I don't know if that would happen... Because if it does, it happens at the expense of the Yankees and Red Sox, and could be a death blow to both franchises for even as long as a decade. Something I doubt Bud Selig would risk.

Which is a huge reason Cuban will never get any shot at bidding.

Bidder pill for fans: No Cuban for Cubs :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chris De Luca

And sources close to commissioner Bud Selig sounded an alarm this week during the annual general managers meetings: Forget about Mark Cuban buying the Cubs. Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks' owner, was the fan favorite, the guy who liked to drink beer, watch the game from the bleachers and spend money. He was the most appealing bidder to Zell's group, who knew Cuban could swing the quickest transaction for a team and ballpark that at one time figured to fetch $1 billion. Global financial crisis or not, baseball's old guard plans to stand firm against letting Cuban into the club. "There's no way Bud and the owners are going to let that happen," a Major League Baseball source said this week. "Zero chance." This would be a blow to Zell and Cubs fans who are eager to get finality on a team that's in limbo.

VN Store

Back