Guitar Greats

volinbham

VN GURU
One at a time please

Richard Lloyd - played with ground breaking band Television (Tom Verlaine will be in this thread also). In addition to a solo career, played with Matthew Sweet (if you like the song Girl Friend, RL is cranking out the sweet licks).

Jason Becker/Marty Friedman of Cacophony

Jason Becker was recognized in the late 80's, before the age of 18 as probably the most prodiguous guitar player in the world and is still recognized as probably the greatest ever to adapt classical music to the "shred" form of guitar. He was diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease at age 20 (I think) and no longer plays guitar, but still uses a computer to compose.

Marty Friedman was another prodigous talent and has been floating around the shred scene for years. He had short stints with many metal bands, including Megadeth.

Jason Becker guitar clinic (26:23)

YouTube - Jason Becker - Guitar Clinic

Having just watched American Masters last night, I smiled when I saw this thread.

Les Paul.

....and what I heard of Jango Rinehart in that show has me wishing I could hear more.

B. B. King

not sure what else to say now. He's still doing live shows at the age of 76. How and why his guitars are named "Lucille" is a cautionary tale about running back into a burning building.

I don't necessarily consider him a "geetar hero" what ever happened to Steve Vai?

I don't necessarily consider him a "geetar hero" what ever happened to Steve Vai?

heard he made a deal with the devil!

Buddy Guy...Brian May.....Eric Johnson.. just to name a few of my favs .....but I always go back to Duane Allmon.

James Patrick "Jimmy" Page, OBE (born 9 January 1944) is an English guitarist, composer and record producer. He began his career as a studio session guitarist in London and was subsequently a member of The Yardbirds, from late 1966 to 1968, before founding English rock band Led Zeppelin. Page is credited as a forefather of heavy metal by not only turning up the accepted volume of the electric guitar but also with his anthemic riffs and meticulous studio production.[citation needed]

In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him #9 in their ranking of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.[1] Page also has the distinction of having been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice as a member of both The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin.

Reactions: 1 person
That's just the show you watched talking...:p

You're right. I learned a lot I did not know. Just the wee bit I heard of 'Cascade of Sound' from '51 0r '52 is better and more astounding than anything I've heard recently...

I'm no expert, but I really was dumbfounded by what I heard.

Kirk Lee Hammett (born on November 18, 1962) is the lead guitarist in the thrash metal band Metallica. Hammett is one of the better-known students of guitarist and instructor Joe Satriani. In 2003, he was ranked 11th in the Rolling Stones "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".[1]

The most copied lead guitarist EVER.

VN Store

Back