Bonds about to break HR record

hmanvolfan

Volmeister extraordinaire
I understand where you're going with that, but honestly I can't think of any reason to not want him to break the record.
Do we want Barry to break Hank's record? Just a question regarding the relationship between wins and popular opinion of the parties involved.

Do we want Barry to break Hank's record? Just a question regarding the relationship between wins and popular opinion of the parties involved.
I think Bonds is a jerk, but it really doesn't bother me that much. From what I've read/seen there was much the same angst when Aaron was closing in on Ruth. None of this will matter in 7 or 8 years when A-Rod obliterates the record.

I think Bonds is a jerk, but it really doesn't bother me that much. From what I've read/seen there was much the same angst when Aaron was closing in on Ruth. None of this will matter in 7 or 8 years when A-Rod obliterates the record.

very good point. i really don't like bonds either. i would honestly want to see him tear his ACL or something and just give up a few short

I can't go that far. Hoping for injury is a little bit out there even for a guy like Bonds.

i know, i would feel bad if it really happened because i had been wanting it to

I understand where you're going with that, but honestly I can't think of any reason to not want him to break the record.
You mean other than the fact that it would be akin to Julio Lugo passing Pete Rose on the all time hits list?

You mean other than the fact that it would be akin to Julio Lugo passing Pete Rose on the all time hits list?

Uh, not exactly . . . Far be it from me to defend Bonds, but there's no denying that he was destined for Coopertown by the mid to late 90s; prior to the steroid suspicion.

but the HR record is special, to go from Hank Aaron to Barry Bonds is, well, horrific. Take the greatest record in sports and by giving it to Bonds, you've reduced it to nothing

Uh, not exactly . . . Far be it from me to defend Bonds, but there's no denying that he was destined for Coopertown by the mid to late 90s; prior to the steroid suspicion.
I was talking about Foolmer passing Neyland, not Bonds passing Aaron. I'm all for Barry erasing that bitter old fool from the record books.

I was talking about Foolmer passing Neyland, not Bonds passing Aaron. I'm all for Barry erasing that bitter old fool from the record books.

:lol: A perfect example of why I split this discussion into a separate thread. I read your comment and thought you'd lost your mind comparing Bonds to Julio Lugo.

I'd be bitter too. Plus, how many of you would travel to all of Bonds' games until he finally sweeps you aside in the record books? Not bloody likely.

I'd be bitter too. Plus, how many of you would travel to all of Bonds' games until he finally sweeps you aside in the record books? Not bloody likely.
Stan Musial attended Pete Rose's games as he chased The Man's NL record for hits. The Maris family was there as McGwire approached the single season record. Of course, those people have class. Aaron is just a breying jackass bitter about the fact that everyone realizes that Mays and Frank Robinson were both better players than he was.

Stan Musial attended Pete Rose's games as he chased The Man's NL record for hits. The Maris family was there as McGwire approached the single season record. Of course, those people have class. Aaron is just a breying jackass bitter about the fact that everyone realizes that Mays and Frank Robinson were both better players than he was.

the same can be said for Bud Selig.

the same can be said for Bud Selig.
Actually, Selig is worse. He presided over the "Juiced" Era and blathered about how the game had never been more popular. Now, he acts as if he's stunned that players were using performance enhancers. The man who did something World War II couldn't, cancel a World Series, continues to show everyone what a fool he is. Once a used car saleman, always a used car salesman.

but the HR record is special, to go from Hank Aaron to Barry Bonds is, well, horrific. Take the greatest record in sports and by giving it to Bonds, you've reduced it to nothing

agreed. that record is special for a reason. Bonds breaking it would do nothing but tarnish the accomplishment IMO.

I'm not sure how Bonds breaking it would reduce it to nothing. I just want to stop seeing this Bonds tracker.

And Ruth, whose record he broke, should never be relegated to the same sentence with Aaron. It's pathetic that Aaron holds the greatest record in sports. I don't care for Bonds passing it, but if it means farewell to Hank, I'm OK with it.

Actually, Selig is worse. He presided over the "Juiced" Era and blathered about how the game had never been more popular. Now, he acts as if he's stunned that players were using performance enhancers. The man who did something World War II couldn't, cancel a World Series, continues to show everyone what a fool he is. Once a used car saleman, always a used car salesman.

could not agree more. in fact, i think you can lump all owners into that category. all of these guys who sat and fatend their pockets during the steroid time are now the same guys who are chastizing the players for doing it.

and the members of the media may be the worst of them all.

agreed. that record is special for a reason. Bonds breaking it would do nothing but tarnish the accomplishment IMO.

why? because he is a suspected cheater? until he fails an MLB drug test, the man is innocent. therefore, what does he tarnish?

Bonds could still be indicted by the jury from what I was hearing on Fox sports Radio. Bonds is a great player but the record is tarnished with him owning it. Also he isn't innocent. I thought he admitted to "unknowingly" using the clear.

A record like this isn't supposed to be surround by trials and leaked testimony and books about his steroid use. That's why it's such a big deal. Who cares if he is or isn't a jerk, the fact is he is about to take hold of the greatest sports record with a possible indictment hanging over his head.

why do you say Frank or Mays were better? The stats say Aaron was better.

Aaron .305 avg 755 Hr's 2297 rbi's

Robinson .294 avg 586 hr's 1812 rbi's

Mays .302 avg 660 hr's 1903 rbi's

VN Store

Back