Craig Biggio Appreciation Thread

hatvol96

In an era when hype has come to outweigh substance, I think it is imperative for true fans of the game to recognize real accomplishment. Craig Biggio is about to reach 3,000 hits. He has done so with class. He has done so with one team. He has done so without a hint of arrogance or self importance. He has done so during a career in which he has made multiple position changes without ever complaining. He has done so playing hard, playing hurt, and playing every day. He has done so with a dignity that honors the game. We should all be thankful we've gotten to see him play.

Anybody that gets 3,000 hits during a career that sees him start in Centerfield, 2nd base and at Catcher should be a shoo in for the Hall of Fame. He's a poor man's Pete Rose without the personality defect or gambling problem.

Anybody that gets 3,000 hits during a career that sees him start in Centerfield, 2nd base and at Catcher should be a shoo in for the Hall of Fame. He's a poor man's Pete Rose without the personality defect or gambling problem.
If Biggio isn't easily inducted on the first ballot, the vote should immediately be stripped from the writers and done by random draw. Also, Biggio is a much better defensive player than Rose ever was.

He never really hit a lot of HRs, but average power and longevity yield big numbers.

Especially when you consider he played a good portion of his career in the cavern called the Astrodome.

This number sounds high, but I'd be willing to bet that over their combined careers, Biggio and Bagwell probably lost 150-200 HRs playing in that expanse.

This number sounds high, but I'd be willing to bet that over their combined careers, Biggio and Bagwell probably lost 150-200 HRs playing in that expanse.
I think that's reasonable, especially where Bagwell is concerned.

Always been a fan of Biggio and his accomplishments far outweigh some of the other ones I will not speak of taking taking place this year.

As big of a Cardinals as I am, part of me was very pleased to see Biggio (and Bagwell) make it to the World Series in 2005.

As much disdain as I have for the Astros, I have to give Biggio the credit he deserves.

Good post, Hat. Biggio just kind of quietly produced for years, then all of a sudden we see that he's got 3,000 hits. One of 27 players to do that. More doubles than Hank Aaron. Plus his intangibles - the way he plays - he definitely is a HOFer.

Yeah... he got thrown out at second trying to stretch it into a double.

Which I actually think is a fitting way for Biggio to reach this milestone - busting his butt and trying to make something happen for his team, but not whining after it didn't go his way.

The fact he went to the stands and practically drug Jeff Bagwell onto the field to share the moment tells you all you need to know about Craig Biggio.

VN Store

Back