I hate Joe Morgan

Bennett4UT

Vol in Dawg country
I hate Joe Morgan. They got rid of Theisman on Monday Night Football. Can Morgan too!

Morgan is a little awkward sometimes, but he usually seems to know his stuff.

He miscalls plays, positions, balls and strikes. Misqoutes players and stats. He is an idiot I can't be the only who thinks that?

For example: Last night he called an 87 MPH change up a fastball repeatedly. This was in the fourth inning and James had just thrown a 95 MPH fastball. Joe I don't think pitchers lose 8 MPH between pitches

He miscalls plays, positions, balls and strikes. Misqoutes players and stats. He is an idiot I can't be the only who thinks that?

For example: Last night he called an 87 MPH change up a fastball repeatedly. This was in the fourth inning and James had just thrown a 95 MPH fastball. Joe I don't think pitchers lose 8 MPH between pitches
maybe it was a 2 seam fastball:dunno:

You know, I've actually always thought Morgan was overrated. Maybe I'm too hard on him, but over the years, I remember him making many mistakes and saying a bunch of stuff I absolutely disagree with. Like last night, he was adamant that by using $$ to sign Maddux instead of Bonds back in the mid-90s, the Braves were stating that a pitcher is worth 5 times what an everyday player is b/c pitchers only pitch every 5th game. And Morgan said he thought the bat was more valuable, basically disagreeing with John S.'s decision.

Assuming they're both equally dominant, most times a pitcher is more valuable. They're involved in every 4th or 5th game, but they have much more impact on a game than an everyday player. When a pitcher pitches, they're involved in approximately half of every play during that game (80-100 pitches or so), whereas an everyday player is involved in about 1/9th of the plays. An everyday player could bat .500 over the course of those other 4 games, and if his pitching sucks, it doesn't make any difference. But great pitching can shut down an entire team.

In other words, if I could trade any everyday Braves player for an equally talented pitcher right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sorry - kind of went on a tangent there.

Joe Morgan is the classic name dropper: When I ate lunch last week with Hank Aaron, I was talking to Barry Bonds today on how to hit a knuckle-ball, or I was talking to Griffey Jr. and he was asking me how to hit a screw-knucke-curve. He sounds so stupid sometimes its funny.

Morgan is a lightening rod because he has definite opinions. He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he is always pretty entertaining.

Joe Morgan loves Joe Morgan and telling ole' Big Red Machine stories.

Baseball is a sport of 2 teams within a team. Pitchers vs. Position Players. They each think they are the most valuable asset on the team. Therefore, when given a national stage an old second baseman is going to side with his crew of position players much like an announcer like Don Sutton would side with a pitcher.

I always side with the strong pitching wins games opposed to the strong offense wins games.

Wasn't Joe Morgan a first ballot hall of famer? I think he holds the record for most home runs at @2B.

Tim Carver on the other hand never was on any hall of fame ballots that I remember.

Wasn't Joe Morgan a first ballot hall of famer? I think he holds the record for most home runs at @2B.

Tim Carver on the other hand never was on any hall of fame ballots that I remember.
Pretty sure that Ryne Sandberg passed Morgan for HR by 2B.

Pretty sure that Ryne Sandberg passed Morgan for HR by 2B.

Which is exactly why Joe Morgan acted like an A$$ when Sandberg came up for voting.

I hate McCarver too but I just don't get to hear much of his announcing. Plus Primetime pouring water on him repeatedly still makes me smile. "You're a real man Deion!"

VN Store

Back