Huge Braves Trade Rumor

TennesseeAtlanta24gordon

Griffey Jr. to the Braves for prospects. These prospects may be Salty, Thorman, Escobar, JoJo Reyes, Harrison, or something like that. The Reds are so awful they are going to tart all over and are going to trade Dunn and Griffey by the end of the season. If the Braves get Griffey, there will be another red pennant at Turner Field.
The lineup would be awesome. Johnson, Renty, Chipper, Jr., Druw, Frenchy, Mac, Thorman.

Not sure that I like any deal for Jr unless the Reds give him away 2nd tier prospects.

I have always liked Jr. but I tend to agree. The Braves IR list is long enough.

I'd much rather trade for Dunn than Griffey.
Really? Don't the Braves already have an incredibly streaky strikeout machine / home run hitter who will conclude the season with an average of 250 and nearly the same number of Ks

Really? Don't the Braves already have an incredibly streaky strikeout machine / home run hitter who will conclude the season with an average of 250 and nearly the same number of Ks

Dunn hits 40 home runs and draws 100 walks a year. He'd be an enormous upgrade over what they currently have at first. Plus he never gets hurt, unlike Griffey.

The only rumor I have seen is that Griffey would agree to a trade to Atlanta; not that there was any specific deal in the works. I think 85% of MLB would approve a trade to Atlanta though, so I'm not sure it's really all that big a deal.

Griffey has wanted to come to Atlanta for years. He originally wanted to be traded here instead of to Cincinnati, but the Braves weren't willing to give up what Seattle wanted. (Andruw and a good young pitcher, I believe, but I can't remember who. Millwood, maybe?)

What might have been . . . Sort of like Pittsburgh backing out of the Bonds trade in 1992 at the last second.

I guess the Braves can't be too upset though since they then took the money and signed Greg Maddux.

Thats perfect! Two centerfielders and a ton of unnecessary salary!

In a word: no. Schurholtz would never trade top tier prospects for an aging injury riddled risk, especially first contract guys with options for a bum contract.

Id like to have him, but hes just not what ATL needs right now...and hes definately injury prone

Thats perfect! Two centerfielders and a ton of unnecessary salary!

In a word: no. Schurholtz would never trade top tier prospects for an aging injury riddled risk, especially first contract guys with options for a bum contract.

Yeah - I'm wondering why we'd want him. He's having a good year so far, but he's hit more than 30 hrs only once out of the past 7 seasons. And he's expensive. And we already have a decent outfield.

If we trade, it should be for a starting pitcher.

I'd trade Willie Harris in a heartbeat. He's been great, but I'd just assume let somebody else endure the inevitable slump that's coming o get him back down to his career average.

I'd trade Willie Harris in a heartbeat. He's been great, but I'd just assume let somebody else endure the inevitable slump that's coming o get him back down to his career average.

I believe in the law of averages, but I also think his value is multiplied right now b/c he brings one thing we don't really have otherwise - speed.

Yeah - I'm wondering why we'd want him. He's having a good year so far, but he's hit more than 30 hrs only once out of the past 7 seasons. And he's expensive. And we already have a decent outfield.

If we trade, it should be for a starting pitcher.

i'm hoping you take griffey off our hands. i think you will get him right after the all star break.

I believe in the law of averages, but I also think his value is multiplied right now b/c he brings one thing we don't really have otherwise - speed.

You're right, but it's just hard for me to believe that a 29 year old career .250 hitter has suddenly become Tony Gwynn.

You're right, but it's just hard for me to believe that a 29 year old career .250 hitter has suddenly become Tony Gwynn.

No, I agree 100%. I don't expect him to keep hitting the way he has, and if some team wants to offer a stud pitcher, and they demand Willie Harris in the deal, yeah, I'm sure Braves fans could stomach that.

Coming into this year, Harris was a .238 hitter in 900 career at-bats. He's been great for Atlanta so far, but it's hard to see him keeping it up.

He does have value as a classic utility player; he's got exactly the versatility you'd hope to see in your 25th man. But he's not any better a long-term solution in left than Thorman is at first.

VN Store

Back