New pitching motion/Mike Marshall

vols kick balls

Outside pitch - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
This is a long read but it is really cool stuff. Mike Marshall beleives that he has made a pitching motion that will end all arm injuries for pitchers, add velocity to pitches, and be able to throw the nastiest curveball anyone has ever seen. Click play on the video at the top right to see the motion. I would love to see a GM give him a chance with some halfway decent prospects.

This maybe the dumbest thing I have seen in my life.

I played baseball for about 15 years all the way through college and I'm still involved with baseball. More specifically I was a pitcher and coach pitching.

Put your elbow up where it's even with your shoulder and stretch your arm out like a pitcher. A pitchers motion, focusing on the arm, is the most unnatural action in sports. The arm was not intended to do that 120 times in a row every 5 days. Basically what I'm saying is that if the kid throws overhanded he will be prone to an arm injury. I don't care if you follow what Mike Marshall says to a T.

Pitching is a weird thing to coach. For example my college team I played for had this starting pitcher he was sick. He was mechanically the most awful pitcher ever. He threw across his body. Well our coach was going to change this. When he tried to work with his motion his fastball (which once broke back into the hands of a right handed hitter) was now straight as an arrow and getting crushed in intra-squads.

As long as pitchers are getting outs and feeling comfortable DO NOT SCREW WITH THEM. This guy Marshall, in my opinion (remember this guy has been in baseball longer than I have been alive) is living in a dreamworld, and making outlandish egotistical claims just where people will listen.

Also just to add to the discussion in "Baseball culture" these guys with this secret way to pitch and get to the majors and throw in the mid to high 90's are about the same level as late night "Male Enhancement" commercials.

To sum up what I think: Freaking ridiclious.

VN Store

Back