How bout those Falcons

GAVol

Overrated
Staff member
I know a lot of you guys are Titans fans, but we've got something pretty amazing going on down here in the ATL.

Did anybody see Vick's game tying TD tonight? That was absolutely insane - 4th and goal from the 15 down by 7 and he pulls it down and runs it in. No other QB even thinks about taking off in that situation!?

What is more impressive to me was his ability to stretch out and not let his knees touch the ground until he broke the plane. I admire Vick for wanting to stay in the pocket and pass the ball. But they should let him run more. There will enough time to pass it when he is older.

I am a long suffering Falcons fan from the early 90's (back when Deion was around), so I am very happy to see the emergence of Vick. Not to mention having a vol on the team (P. Price), even if he's not doing very well there.

Gone are the days of Chandler, George, and whatever B list QB they could get. Not to mention trading away Bret Favre.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Dec 19, 2004 1:07 AM
Gone are the days of Chandler, George, and whatever B list QB they could get. Not to mention trading away Bret Favre.

Not only did they trade Favre, when they had him he was third string behind the great Chris Miller and Bobby Hebert. Favre never even took a snap for the Falcons. :yikes:

How's that for talent evaluation?

Thank you. I've been trying to remember Chris Miller's name for about a month now. But I forgot about Hebert (pronounced a-bear).

Shut up about Vick. He does not rank in the top 15 in any stat in Professional quarterbacking statistics. Check my numbers out. He is a minority that the media wants to succeed, He is a running back they call a qb. He committed 3 turnovers tonight, he sucks. Shut up! Watch a real qb on sunday night, his name is Peyton Manning. Go Colts.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Dec 19, 2004 1:05 AM
What is more impressive to me was his ability to stretch out and not let his knees touch the ground until he broke the plane. I admire Vick for wanting to stay in the pocket and pass the ball. But they should let him run more. There will enough time to pass it when he is older.

He defied the laws of Gravity on that play.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Dec 19, 2004 2:14 AM
He does not rank in the top 15 in any stat in Professional quarterbacking statistics.

He looks ugly sometimes, but if you'll check those numbers again I think you'll see that he's 2nd in the NFC in my favorite category - Wins. With the way the Falcons run the ball and only ask him to throw it about 20 times a game, he can get away with being average throwing the ball.

No, he is not the best, but I would rather watch Vick than some of the QB's in the league. I would take Peyton over Vick, no doubt about it.

You just have to see Vick play to know he is fast. The defense either stacks the box to try and keep him from running for a quick first down, but then you leave Peerless Price and Alge Crumpler open, two very dangerous recieving weapons. Or if they try and run a zone coverage, Vick just waits for even the slightest opening and bolts through. Or the defense can try and spread evenly, say in a 4-3, then Vick and Warrick Dunn can chip away for some good carries.

This is why Atlanta is a textbook example of how to run an option offense, and why I personally believe that they are all-around the second hardest team to defend against in the country, not too far off of Indianapolis. They play the most unpredictable game around.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 19, 2004 7:25 PM
You just have to see Vick play to know he is fast. The defense either stacks the box to try and keep him from running for a quick first down, but then you leave Peerless Price and Alge Crumpler open, two very dangerous recieving weapons. Or if they try and run a zone coverage, Vick just waits for even the slightest opening and bolts through. Or the defense can try and spread evenly, say in a 4-3, then Vick and Warrick Dunn can chip away for some good carries.

This is why Atlanta is a textbook example of how to run an option offense, and why I personally believe that they are all-around the second hardest team to defend against in the country, not too far off of Indianapolis. They play the most unpredictable game around.

too bad vick is not even the second best passer on his team

After seeing TO go out... Atlanta has a legit shot at the SuperBowl. Not that Ownes physically does that much for the Eagles, but he made the team a whole lot more confident. They lost a lot of that against Dallas, and had to struggle to beat a QB who used to be neighbors with Fred Flinstone.

Originally posted by GAVol+Dec 21, 2004 10:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Dec 21, 2004 10:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JSB2277@Dec 21, 2004 5:23 PM

:dunno: [/quote]
Schaub and Johnson.......both better passers

Originally posted by JSB2277+Dec 23, 2004 5:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JSB2277 @ Dec 23, 2004 5:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by GAVol@Dec 21, 2004 10:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JSB2277
@Dec 21, 2004 5:23 PM

:dunno:

Schaub and Johnson.......both better passers [/quote]
We&#39;ll see about Schaub this Sunday . . . and Doug Johnson is not with the Falcons anymore. He&#39;s the 3rd QB for the Titans.

Vick just got some crazy contract today worth &#036;100 million. It&#39;s for ten years plus a signing bonus. They&#39;re saying he is the highest paid player now. I don&#39;t think he will make to the end of the contract if he keeps running like he is now nor is he worth more than Peyton Manning. It will be great for a while but it won&#39;t take long for the contact to catch up with him. His mobility makes him dangerous and if he loses just one step there I think he&#39;ll be a below average qb by any standard.

They can build an offense around him and become great. A combination of west coast and option offenses run that well can prove lethal. They just need to run a set with 2WR 2TE 1RB, with some quick ends, that would pretty sweet.

Michael Vick is one hell of a player. There are few QB&#39;s in this league that I&#39;d take over him, Peyton McNabb and Brady come to mind as being 3 of them, but other than that I don&#39;t see a QB out there that is worth more to a team than Vick is.

That contract he got was what the Falcons had to do. They couldnt let him walk when his contract is up and they couldn&#39;t lowball him and make him unhappy in Atlanta, so they give him the biggest contract in NFL history, exceeding Peyton Manning by about 2 million per year.

I sure know that my NFL team could use a QB like him, the Denver Broncos. We have the QB with the most INT&#39;s this year, and dropped our last 3 of 4 games to basically put the playoffs out of reach barring a Jacksonville collapse.

It&#39;s the Eagles or Falcons in the NFC, every other team in the NFC just flat out isn&#39;t good.

I don&#39;t think the contract says anything about who the best player in the NFL is. It&#39;s more a function of what Vick means to the Falcons. In an odd sort of way, Vick breaking his leg last year showed the Falcons just how valuable he is.

He looks ugly sometimes, but if you&#39;ll check those numbers again I think you&#39;ll see that he&#39;s 2nd in the NFC in my favorite category - Wins.

Come on, wins aren&#39;t that hard to come by in the NFC this season. I predict the Falcons will make it to the NFCCG, but will then be crushed by the Eagles. The Eagles have little to no competition in the NFC this year, so I figure they&#39;ll finally win the NFCCG.

TO also brings in a large mental factor for the Eagles offense. The Eagles will be fighting against his absence as well as the Falcons.

I still can&#39;t get over the Philly vs. Washington game a couple weeks ago on Sunday Night football, the play where Pinkston ducked out of Shaun Taylors way to let the pass drop instead of trying to catch it and take a hit.

He followed that performance up with a drop against Dallas in which he was looking at where Roy Williams was instead of the ball...and that guy is now a starter.

VN Store

Back