Freeze and Dabo negative religious recruit UT

Vfl2407

Swain this morning saying that all schools that recruit against Vols are using the Title Nine lawsuit story against us.
Saying that Hugh Freeze and Dabo Swinney, who heavily emphasize religion in their recruiting, will really jump on Vols about not having a Christian family values culture like Ole Miss and Clemson have.

Kids rarely care

Parents almost always care

It's a great strategy for those coaches that are openly Christ followers to use

Reactions: 3 people
Win and out players into the NFL and nobody will care if your head coach worships a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Them using religion to negative recruit is a non-issue IMO.

Reactions: 5 people
Even if Dabo and Freeze found Jesus once upon a time, they both lost him a long time ago.

I'm sure they use about everything in recruiting. It was pretty much common knowledge here in Georgia that Mark Richt talked a lot about religion in recruiting.
I hadn't really heard that about Clemson and Ole Miss until Swain and Stokes were talking about it.

Even if Dabo and Freeze found Jesus once upon a time, they both lost him a long time ago.
Wow just wow

Unreal the assumptions the sports world makes

I mean good grief our coach had self imposed penalties for waving to the crowd at a basketball game.

Breaking NCAA rules doesn't make anyone less of a Christ follower and in fact in many cases it might mean the opposite

Reactions: 7 people
Freeze needs to quit trying to take the moral high ground considering he's got his own scandal to worry about. He needs to convince parents that he isn't a cheating dirtbag first. Tend to your own garden.

Wow just wow

I mean good grief our coach had self imposed penalties for waving to the crowd at a basketball game.

Breaking NCAA rules doesn't make anyone less of a Christ follower and in fact in many cases it might mean the opposite
Your last point isn't a bad one given that Dabo has gone about as far as a state employee can go using taxpayer money to promote his religion to his players.

If he wasn't in the Bible Belt, there's a decent chance he would've been reprimanded once or twice by now.

Reactions: 2 people
Your last point isn't a bad one given that Dabo has gone about as far as a state employee can go using taxpayer money to promote his religion to his players.

If he wasn't in the Bible Belt, there's a decent chance he would've been reprimanded once or twice by now.

Yep for Dabo for sure it's not just recruiting he actually does push the envelop and really tries to impact his players in this way

Wow just wow

Struck a nerve? My apologies.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure they use about everything in recruiting. It was pretty much common knowledge here in Georgia that Mark Richt talked a lot about religion in recruiting.
I hadn't really heard that about Clemson and Ole Miss until Swain and Stokes were talking about it.

At least Mark Richt is who he says he is even behind closed doors

Reactions: 1 person
Being a minister I will say without reservation, that more damage is done to the cause of Christ by proclaimed "Christians" using it as a vehicle for selfish gain, than anything else. They leave a slimy trail of broken faith, distrust and cynicism behind. Once someone's innocent faith has been broken, it is almost impossible to win them back.

Reactions: 31 people
Being a minister I will say without reservation, that more damage is done to the cause of Christ by proclaimed "Christians" using it as a vehicle for selfish gain, than anything else. They leave a slimy trail of broken faith, distrust and cynicism behind. Once someone's innocent faith has been broken, it is almost impossible to win them back.

So a coach that doesn't act "Christlike" at all times is causing destruction when they proclaim their faith?

If you don't follow freeze on twitter I would love for your take as a minister of his tweets. Does it come off to you as a man all about personal gain by pushing his faith

Last edited:

This. It's so cringey sometimes.

Reactions: 2 people
So a coach that doesn't act "Christlike" at all times is causing destruction when they proclaim their faith?

If you don't follow freeze on twitter I would love for your take as a minister of his tweets. Does it come off to you as a man all about personal gain by pushing his faith

He's saying that more damage is done by the "Chrisitians" that use their religion for selfish gain.

ziti beat me to it.

Wow just wow

That makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back