Dejuan Blair

Bummer, I was just over there checking out the Vols basketball recruiting as noticed he looked like a good fit for Pearl's system. Also noticed however that he's from Pittsburgh.

That is strange. All of his updates were quotes from his coaches. The only one with him being interviewed was done by Brent Hubbs and that was a week or two ago and Blair was saying that UT was way above the rest and would be hard to beat. How quickly things change....

I don't think this one is over yet.

I read a couple of stories on this. Basically, they can be summarized by his statements starting out with "my grandmother really wanted" or "my family really wanted." He made that verbal to Pitt because of the location, pure and simple. He liked/likes UT better.

I never fault a guy for staying home. I can understand wanting your family around, of course, then you see what family did for Reggie Bush

Blair was heavily recruited coming out of high school. Besides Pitt, other schools pursuing him included Florida, Kansas State, Indiana, Marquette, Miami, West Virginia, Wake Forest and Tennessee.

His parents admitted that if they had their way, Blair would have gone to Tennessee because they liked the Volunteers' coach Bruce Pearl, and thought it would be a good idea for their son to leave the city. Blair himself had problems making up his mind; while considering as many as 18 different scholarship offers, he was so confused that one day he threw his cell phone across a room, breaking it.[3]

However, Pitt coach Jamie Dixon recognized the importance of Blair's maternal grandmother, Donna Saddler, who had played a major role in his upbringing, and on the first day he was allowed to contact Blair, he called Saddler, asking to come to her house. She told Dixon that they were having a family reunion at the house that day, and invited him to come, which he did. When Dixon was down to his last scholarship in the 2007 recruiting cycle, he called her, telling her that Blair would need to take the scholarship at that time. In the end, Saddler made the decision for him, telling him "Pitt is it." She liked Dixon and the proximity of her home to the school. Also, she was well aware that Pitt would be losing starting center Aaron Gray to graduation, which would have made Blair a likely candidate to start if he attended. He officially announced his decision to attend Pitt at the Ammons Recreation Center, where his basketball journey began, and became the first City League player to play for Pitt since Darelle Porter from 1987–1991.[3]

I didn't know we were close to getting this guy. Dude was a beast at Pitt. Dunked on EVERYBODY.

If we had him, we could made the F4. All we lacked was a big man. He would have more than filled the void.

VN Store

Back