Thurs Update from UT Sports

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Vols Looking For Road Success to Continue
UT: 35-11 on Road in SEC Since 1992

KNOXVILLE (Oct. 23) -- Tennessee plays its third SEC road game of the season Saturday at Alabama, hoping to continue a trend that has seen the Vols win their last two visits to Tuscaloosa and not suffer a loss to the Crimson Tide in Alabama since 1991.

“Both teams need a win so it should be a heck of a football game from that standpoint,” head coach Phillip Fulmer said Thursday. The Vols wrapped up preparations for Alabama with a 90-minute workout at Haslam Field.

“Going to Alabama is always tough and we have great respect for their program. I’m just hopeful that we can be a consistent football team for 60 minutes.”

In a league known for its raucous crowds, SEC home teams are only 10-13 this year against conference foes

The Vols are 1-1 both at home and on the road. Tennessee won at Florida 24-10 before losing 28-21 at Auburn. Since divisional play began in 1992, Tennessee is 35-11 in the SEC away from home to trail only Florida’s 42-9 mark.

“For us, the goal is to get back on track, play well, go to Tuscaloosa and get a win,” Fulmer said. “Who knows what’s going to happen (down the stretch) if we play like we’re capable of playing. And I don’t think I’m blind -- I think we’ve got a good football team. We just haven’t played well all the time.

“We’ve got a chance to be right back in the middle of the SEC race. If we play well the rest of the way, who knows what’s going to happen.”

Sophomore defensive back Brandon Johnson will not make the trip for the Vols after suffering an ankle injury in Tuesday’s practice. Johnson leads the team with four passes broken up, forced a fumble at Florida and made his first career interception against South Carolina.

INJURY UPDATE (Alabama Week): Out -- DB Brandon Johnson (ankle),

VN Store

Back