Chaisson

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
didnt he have a myspace site with the vols all over it, does he still have it after the Coleman verbal? are we still recruiting him?

(rexvol @ Jul 3 said:
didnt he have a myspace site with the vols all over it, does he still have it after the Coleman verbal? are we still recruiting him?

Initially after Coleman verballed I heard we are still recruiting other QB's. Lately it looks like we are pulling back and focusing on other positions. Tyrod Taylor was THE guy in their eyes but he looks to be heading to VaTech. When that was understood they went straight after BJ Coleman.

Actually we wanted GJ Kinne more than Coleman. We told Kinne he had all the time he needed to think it over and then Coleman said he wanted to commit. We then told GJ the scholly was his if he wanted it but he had to commit right then. He turned us down so we went with Coleman.

(hvwarrior58 @ Jul 3 said:
Actually we wanted GJ Kinne more than Coleman. We told Kinne he had all the time he needed to think it over and then Coleman said he wanted to commit. We then told GJ the scholly was his if he wanted it but he had to commit right then. He turned us down so we went with Coleman.

So, in other words, they felt they were pretty similar and that they would take either one of them. Because if they were favoring Kinne that much they would have let him have the time he needed to think about it. Coleman wasnt on the verge of commiting anywhere so that was not a worry. I think what might have happened is they got the feeling on his visit that Baylor was a big leader and so they just said ok if you want to come to UTK tell us now otherwise we are moving on. If I was a betting man all my money would be on his commitment to Baylor, and probably pretty soon.

Nah, that is why they told Kinne he had to commit right there. We have told Eric Berry that he will get a shot at QB if he wants but he will likely end up at CB.

(therickbol @ Jul 4 said:
If I was a betting man all my money would be on his commitment to Baylor, and probably pretty soon.
I don't want to start gambling on where some guy commits but my guess is that he will wait awhile. I doubt hsi stock will go down at all this year and he may even get bumped to a 4* if he and his team perform a little above expectations. Once Taylor commits, Kinne will be an even hotter property because all the 5-star QBs will be off the table. IMO Kinne can commit to Baylor any time and they'll be darn happy to take him. If he bides his time a bit longer he'll probably pick up some offers from some big programs. Just looking at "elite" programs that have not signed a QB yet this year I see:

1. Ohio State - signed 3* Antonio Henton in the '06 class.
2. PennSt - signed 3* Brett Brackett and a 4* Pat Devlin in '06.
3. Oklahoma - signed 3*s Sam Bradford and Joey Halzle in '06.
4. Auburn - signed 4* Neil Caudle and 2* Steven Ensminger in '06.
5. FSU - signed 3* Christian Ponder in '06.

Alot of teams, especially teams in the midwest, aren't high on Kinne as a QB. OU has even went as far as to offer him, but only as a LB.

a newspaper article in the tennessean a few days ago said chaisson would be willing to move to wide receiver if he didnt find a home at quarterback. it worked well with jermaine copeland...

I loved Copeland, solid and dependable, could take a hit and had sure hands

(LifeLongVol90 @ Jul 5 said:
a newspaper article in the tennessean a few days ago said chaisson would be willing to move to wide receiver if he didnt find a home at quarterback. it worked well with jermaine copeland...
i read that too...i think that has to bode well for our chances? And Jermain was solid as a possession guy..and don't forget James Banks, he turned out to be a pretty good receiver, if only for short while. Same with Cedric Houston..he was a qb in HS, and coverted to WR in college...

(hvwarrior58 @ Jul 5 said:
Chaisson isn't that fast for a QB. No way he could compete as a WR in the SEC. Think CJ Leak.

His game speed is better than the forty time listed on rivals. Is he fast enought to play WR in the SEC? I dont know. But, he is probably a little faster, and more importantly, quicker than you would think from reading his forty time. Watch his film. I don't know quite how good he is because he would be a commitment if we wanted him to be but the staff seems apprehenvive about him.

(therickbol @ Jul 6 said:
His game speed is better than the forty time listed on rivals. Is he fast enought to play WR in the SEC? I dont know. But, he is probably a little faster, and more importantly, quicker than you would think from reading his forty time. Watch his film. I don't know quite how good he is because he would be a commitment if we wanted him to be but the staff seems apprehenvive about him.

so then, we have not offered him yet? I thought he had an offer from us.

He has an offer. But we have to accept his commitment and I think when he was on his unofficial visit they told him they were not quite ready to accept it.

(therickbol @ Jul 7 said:
He has an offer. But we have to accept his commitment and I think when he was on his unofficial visit they told him they were not quite ready to accept it.
i remember that. I wonder what our reasoning for not wanting him to commit was?

I'm wondering where you are getting your information. I can't imagine Cutcliffe wanting Kinne more than Coleman - two completely different kinds of QBs. Its like the comparison between Peyton and Brandon Stewart or Ainge and Schaeffer. Coleman is a classic pro-style QB, big, lots of arm strength, and he doesn't throw interceptions. Kinne is 6'2" and likes to run. Also, Coleman committed 3 weeks before Kinne committed to Baylor and Cutcliffe, and it was REAL early in the recruiting season. If UT wanted Kinne more than Coleman, they sure didn't act like it. Its probably because UT found out Florida State requested more tape of Coleman ... even AFTER they signed Pounder.

VN Store

Back