The NASCAR Nextel Cup Chase

TennFan

There are currently 16 drivers eligibe for the "CHASE" after Phoenix (listed below): Which 5 or more won't make the "CHASE" and who outside the top 16 will? I've only listed the points behind for those over 200 points.

Here are the top 20:

1. Matt Kenseth
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Kasey Kahne
4. Mark Martin
5. Tony Stewart
6. Jeff Gordon
7. Dale Jr.
8. Kevin Harvick
9. Kyle Busch -208
10. Casey Mears -270
11. Dale Jarrett -284
12. Clint Boyer -308
13. Jeff Burton -339
14. Elliott Sadler -357
15. Martin Truex, Jr -377
16. Carl Edwards -396
17. Kurt Busch -405
18. Denny Hamlin -410
19. Brian Vickers -410
20. Jamie McMurray -422

Those outside the top 20:
21. Greg Biffle -433
22. Ryan Newman -461

Just to make it interesting I'll give everyone that's in the pick'em 10 points for each correct driver that makes the "CHASE." Sound good? :thumbsup:

The Richmond race on 9 Sep 2006 is the start of the "CHASE" so picks must be in before the start of the Michigan race which is scheduled on 8/20. No late comers! Good luck!

1. Matt Kenseth In
2. Jimmie Johnson In
3. Kasey Kahne In
4. Mark Martin In
5. Tony Stewart In
6. Jeff Gordon In
7. Dale Jr. In
8. Kevin Harvick In
9. Kyle Busch -208 Out
10. Casey Mears -270 Out
11. Dale Jarrett -284 Out
12. Clint Boyer -308 Out
13. Jeff Burton -339 Out
14. Elliott Sadler -357 Out
15. Martin Truex, Jr -377 Out
16. Carl Edwards -396 In
17. Kurt Busch -405 Out
18. Denny Hamlin -410 Out
19. Brian Vickers -410 Out
20. Jamie McMurray -422 Out
21. Greg Biffle -433 In
22. Ryan Newman -461 Out

1 Jimmie Johnson
2 Matt Kenseth
3 Kevin Harvick
4 Jeff Burton
5 Kyle Busch
6 Mark Martin
7 Denny Hamlin
8 Jeff Gordon
9 Greg Biffle
10 Tony Stewart

Kenseth, Johnson, Kahne, Mark, Stewart, Gordon, Burton, Hamlin, Ky. Busch, and Harvick.

Which drivers do you think will make the Chase/the last 10 race playoff for the Championship, USAF? It doesn't have to be limited to the top 10 either, anyone that's within 400 points of first after 26 races makes it in.

(tidwell @ Apr 25 said:
Which drivers do you think will make the Chase/the last 10 race playoff for the Championship, USAF? It doesn't have to be limited to the top 10 either, anyone that's within 400 points of first after 26 races makes it in.

So we can pick as many Drivers as we want?

If you think more than 10 drivers will make it, if I understand TennFan correctly, yes.

If there is no penalty for picking drivers that don't make the chase, then I should pick everyone and be guaranteed the Max points. I think I'm missing something here.

Anyone could pick the ten that are in the Chase after the Chase has started USAF. :lol:

Surfside, it's likely there will only be 10 in the Chase/Last 10 races, so I guess TennFan was banking on that.

You only pick the top 10 drivers who you think will make the "CHASE" and no more. As I said before, there is a cut off date to pick the top 10. Of course, by the Michigan race in August it might be pretty much decided. I said that after the Dover race, there could only be 12 eligible. The first Dover race is in June. Hope everyone knows/understands the rules now. Any questions let me know.

(tidwell @ Apr 25 said:
Anyone could pick the ten that are in the Chase after the Chase has started USAF. :lol:

Surfside, it's likely there will only be 10 in the Chase/Last 10 races, so I guess TennFan was banking on that.

Well yeah. I just think it is a little too early. I'm going to wait till August. Too much could change from now until then.

(SURFSIDEBEACHVOL @ Apr 26 said:
Yep, I think I'll wait too

Don't blame you. I think there is at least 8 of the current 10 that will make it. Some would almost have to fall out of contention all together to not make it. It may get more interesting as we get to the end of the Dover race in June. :dance2:

1. Matt Kenseth--IN
2. Jimmie Johnson--IN
3. Kasey Kahne--OUT
4. Mark Martin--IN
5. Tony Stewart--IN
6. Jeff Gordon--IN
7. Dale Jr.--IN
8. Kevin Harvick--OUT
9. Kyle Busch--OUT
10. Casey Mears --OUT
11. Dale Jarrett--OUT
12. Clint Boyer -- OUT
13. Jeff Burton -- OUT
14. Elliott Sadler --OUT
15. Martin Truex, Jr --OUT
16. Carl Edwards--IN
17. Kurt Busch --IN
18. Denny Hamlin--IN
19. Brian Vickers -OUT
20. Jamie McMurray --OUT
21. Greg Biffle --IN
22. Ryan Newman--OUT

1. Matt Kenseth----IN
2. Jimmie Johnson-----IN
3. Kasey Kahne-----IN
4. Mark Martin-----IN
5. Tony Stewart------IN
6. Jeff Gordon-----OUT!
7. Dale Jr.------IN
8. Kevin Harvick-----OUT
9. Kyle Busch -208-----OUT
10. Casey Mears -270-----OUT
11. Dale Jarrett -284-----OUT
12. Clint Boyer -308----IN
13. Jeff Burton -339-----OUT
14. Elliott Sadler -357----IN
15. Martin Truex, Jr -377----OUT
16. Carl Edwards -396----IN
17. Kurt Busch -405-----IN
18. Denny Hamlin -410----OUT
19. Brian Vickers -410----OUT
20. Jamie McMurray -422----OUT

(USAF_Vol @ Apr 26 said:
Well yeah. I just think it is a little too early. I'm going to wait till August. Too much could change from now until then.

I understand that. It'll just look more impressive that I picked the top 10 in April rather than late August. :D :lol:

Some of you may want to revise your top 10 for the "CHASE" by the time wwe get to the Dover race. :mf_surrender: Greg Snif,oops I mean Biffle, may be sucking lots of wind and dropping fast. Kurt Busch may be another. I know I'm not picking my "ELITE 10" until maybe after the Chicago race on 9 July. Remember the cutoff is after Watkins Glen on 13 Aug-that's 3 races prior to the start of the "CHASE." If the cutoff was the Bristol race on 26 Aug that would make it real easy with just two races before the "CHASE." I think that we'll be down to just 12 after they race at Dover on 6/4 or Michigan on 18 Jun. Just a hunch. Some of the drivers arre falling by the wayside fast. :nener: :rock: :shakehead:

Not looking good for The Biffle... just not his year luckwise.

However, last year Kenseth came from about his position at this time to make The Chase. I believe if just a consistent racer like Kenseth can do it, someone like Biffle who could go off and win 4 races in a row can do it as well.

With the "CHASE" currently down to 12 drivers-quicker than I thought- I may (not necessarily) change the deadline. I'll look at it by the end of June and see. We could be down to 10 by the end of May and then it's a struggle who'll remain in the following positions:
7th through 10. There could be some shuffling in those final 3-4 positions if some drivers outisde (i.e. 11-14) starting making a run.

We have a one week period between 23 July (Pennsylvania 500 at Lond Pond) and the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard at Indy on 9 Aug. Does anyone have any qualms with making the down weekend of 5 August as the deadline for picking the TOP 10 drivers for the NEXTEL CUP CHASE? I don't think there will be to many changes after the the Daytona race 1 July- at most one or two. OF course the distances between 10th, 11th and 12th could widen or someone in 11th or 12th move up. That means those from 11th -14th would have to have top 5 finishes and some of those from 8th-10th would have to have finishes outside the top 15. Not likely but one never knows.

(TennFan @ May 1 said:
Some of you may want to revise your top 10 for the "CHASE" by the time wwe get to the Dover race. :mf_surrender: Greg Snif,oops I mean Biffle, may be sucking lots of wind and dropping fast. Kurt Busch may be another. I know I'm not picking my "ELITE 10" until maybe after the Chicago race on 9 July. Remember the cutoff is after Watkins Glen on 13 Aug-that's 3 races prior to the start of the "CHASE." If the cutoff was the Bristol race on 26 Aug that would make it real easy with just two races before the "CHASE." I think that we'll be down to just 12 after they race at Dover on 6/4 or Michigan on 18 Jun. Just a hunch. Some of the drivers arre falling by the wayside fast. :nener: :rock: :shakehead:

Still confused!! When do we have to have our picks for the Chase submitted? What is the official date?

Cutoff date to pick your 10 drivers that you think will make "THE CHASE" is 14 Aug. After that any late comers will not be counted.

VN Store

Back