SEC Baseball

(RammerJammer84 @ Apr 12 said:
I think Bama is playing the best ball at this point anyone else agree ???
All I know is that Tennessee is not playing the best ball right now.

I think Bama is playing the best ball at this point anyone else agree ???

Taking a 7 inning double-header is a little easier than playing two 9 inning games. Carolina beat 'Bama on Friday night, was rained out Saturday and was then swept Sunday. Just as Carolina got the momentum going in game 1, the game ended. The 2nd game was all Alabama.

I would bank on the Gamecocks being in the middle of things come season's end.

Who else thinks it's ridiculous to play the SEC Tournament in Hoover, AL every year? I think we could take a lesson from the ACC and play it at different venues. They have played in Jacksonville and could possibly play at Fenway Park. How awesome would the SEC Tournament be at Turner Field? Georgia and Georgia Tech play there once every year.

(West Columbia Gamecock @ Apr 12 said:
Taking a 7 inning double-header is a little easier than playing two 9 inning games. Carolina beat 'Bama on Friday night, was rained out Saturday and was then swept Sunday. Just as Carolina got the momentum going in game 1, the game ended. The 2nd game was all Alabama.

I would bank on the Gamecocks being in the middle of things come season's end.

Who else thinks it's ridiculous to play the SEC Tournament in Hoover, AL every year? I think we could take a lesson from the ACC and play it at different venues. They have played in Jacksonville and could possibly play at Fenway Park. How awesome would the SEC Tournament be at Turner Field? Georgia and Georgia Tech play there once every year.

Well if you were truly the better team you would have beat us regardless of the situation... you won in 11 innings in the first game....

Why is it ridiculous it is a central location... that sells well regardless of whether or not Bama or AU are in the games.... Hotels, rental cars, and the such is cheaper in the bham area... whats so bad about it... and btw if they move it, its probably going to be to memphis...

Baseball.....how do we lose to LSU :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(NCGatorBait @ Apr 12 said:
The national runners up from last yr are stinking up the joint! :bad:
Don't worry, NC. I believe we will cure all your ills when you come to Knoxville this weekend. It seems we are serving as "doctors" for some of these suffering baseball teams. Come to Knoxville, to get your team on track. We sure helped cure LSU this past weekend. :(

Well if you were truly the better team you would have beat us regardless of the situation... you won in 11 innings in the first game....

Why is it ridiculous it is a central location... that sells well regardless of whether or not Bama or AU are in the games.... Hotels, rental cars, and the such is cheaper in the bham area... whats so bad about it... and btw if they move it, its probably going to be to memphis...

You're right, we should have taken care of business. But you would have to admit, 7 inning games are not optimal.

Only an Alabama, or possibly Auburn fan can think that Hoover is a good location. A central location for the tournament would be Atlanta, the location of most SEC Basketball Tournaments. At least move it around. Hoover offers very little outside the baseball games. I understand there is a nice mall in Hoover......

Of all the major sports played in college, baseball is the goofiest. Every kid that has a prayer of throwing fatser than 85 mph gets drafted right out of high school and goes into the minor leagues. Rarely (it happens, but rarely) do you see a college pitcher go on to have a remarkable pro career.

And then, against the weakest pitching left over, they give the hitters metal bats !!!

Ridiculous.

(West Columbia Gamecock @ Apr 12 said:
You're right, we should have taken care of business. But you would have to admit, 7 inning games are not optimal.

Only an Alabama, or possibly Auburn fan can think that Hoover is a good location. A central location for the tournament would be Atlanta, the location of most SEC Basketball Tournaments. At least move it around. Hoover offers very little outside the baseball games. I understand there is a nice mall in Hoover......

How is it a more central location....
Nashville, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, and Oxford are all closer to hoover. Knoxville is about the same between both locations.
Gainsville is 6 hours from atl and 8 from hoover... UGA is close to Atlanta but only 3 hours away from hoover...
the central location is Bham.....

And there are things to do in the birmingham area..... on a much cheaper scale than in the ATL area....

(lawgator1 @ Apr 12 said:
Of all the major sports played in college, baseball is the goofiest. Every kid that has a prayer of throwing fatser than 85 mph gets drafted right out of high school and goes into the minor leagues. Rarely (it happens, but rarely) do you see a college pitcher go on to have a remarkable pro career.

And then, against the weakest pitching left over, they give the hitters metal bats !!!

Ridiculous.

Word.

Ridiculous.

Roger Clemens wasn't so bad and I'm sure there are others. I see your point, but baseball IMO is only behind football and basketball as far as college athletics go.

(Mullet Vol @ Apr 12 said:
Roger Clemens wasn't so bad and I'm sure there are others. I see your point, but baseball IMO is only behind football and basketball as far as college athletics go.

Behind only football and basketball? I'd say first of all WAY behind, WAY WAY WAY behind. Probably shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.

Second, I think college golf, which routinely produces pros, is also WAY out in front of baseball. Tennis is probably also up there. Certainly gymnastics and track and field, which produce a fair number of Olympians every year, would also be WAY out ahead of baseball.

Dude, I'm sorry but when the score is 28-2 in the top of the 5th the whole thing is just a sham.

Behind only football and basketball? I'd say first of all WAY behind, WAY WAY WAY behind. Probably shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.

Second, I think college golf, which routinely produces pros, is also WAY out in front of baseball. Tennis is probably also up there. Certainly gymnastics and track and field, which produce a fair number of Olympians every year, would also be WAY out ahead of baseball.

Dude, I'm sorry but when the score is 28-2 in the top of the 5th the whole thing is just a sham.

One thing we miss out on though is all of the athletes that goto college and graduate will be productive members of society.... if they skip school and dont pan out in the majors they have nothing to fall back on...

How is it a more central location....
Nashville, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, and Oxford are all closer to hoover. Knoxville is about the same between both locations.
Gainsville is 6 hours from atl and 8 from hoover... UGA is close to Atlanta but only 3 hours away from hoover...
the central location is Bham.....
Thank you, Mr. SEC West Delegate. Slice me off a King Sized Break! You know that you like Hoover because it's in your back yard. You defending having the SEC tournament in Hoover would be like me defending it being played in Charleston. Hoover offers VERY little outside of baseball and a mall. Face the facts on this. The argument that things are cheaper in Birmingham than Atlanta is weak. It's cheaper because Birmingham is a poor-man's Atlanta. FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! PLEASE, MOVE THE TOURNAMENT FROM HOOVER! If not, just rename it the Alabama Invitational and be honest about what it is.

(West Columbia Gamecock @ Apr 13 said:
Thank you, Mr. SEC West Delegate. Slice me off a King Sized Break! You know that you like Hoover because it's in your back yard. You defending having the SEC tournament in Hoover would be like me defending it being played in Charleston. Hoover offers VERY little outside of baseball and a mall. Face the facts on this. The argument that things are cheaper in Birmingham than Atlanta is weak. It's cheaper because Birmingham is a poor-man's Atlanta. FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! PLEASE, MOVE THE TOURNAMENT FROM HOOVER! If not, just rename it the Alabama Invitational and be honest about what it is.

Actually my bias stems from the fact that hoover is where I grew up..... haha its a wonderful part of town and there are lots of things to do.... and I am a student at UAB in the Birmingham area....what kinds of things do you like to do.... I can send you a list of stuff to do...

(RammerJammer84 @ Apr 14 said:
Actually my bias stems from the fact that hoover is where I grew up..... haha its a wonderful part of town and there are lots of things to do.... and I am a student at UAB in the Birmingham area....what kinds of things do you like to do.... I can send you a list of stuff to do...

Ok, ok.....YOU WIN! But only because it's your hometown. :bow:

I've just heard our play-by-play announcer bemoan the annual pilgrimage. And, it's one heckuva home field advantage for the Tide. I just think it would be cool to be played at different venues from time to time. You'd have to admit, Braves fan or not, THAT would be AWESOME!

(West Columbia Gamecock @ Apr 14 said:
Ok, ok.....YOU WIN! But only because it's your hometown. :bow:

I've just heard our play-by-play announcer bemoan the annual pilgrimage. And, it's one heckuva home field advantage for the Tide. I just think it would be cool to be played at different venues from time to time. You'd have to admit, Braves fan or not, THAT would be AWESOME!

Well I think that a bigger venue would be great but why dont you help fight against the move of the game to Memphis.... what good would that do moving the SEC tourney to CUSA headquarters..... I mean just looking at the map Bham is the central area.... thats all i was sayin to begin with....

And the Bham area may not have name recognition things to do, but there is the McWane Science Center, Civil Rights Institute, Visionland (not Six Flags but a good park for cheaper none the less)....just a few things to name a few....

(RammerJammer84 @ Apr 14 said:
Well I think that a bigger venue would be great but why dont you help fight against the move of the game to Memphis.... what good would that do moving the SEC tourney to CUSA headquarters.

Totally agree. It would be a bad move to put it in Memphis. I don't think I've ever heard a lot of nice things about that town.

the should have the tourney in Nashville once the new park for the Sounds is completed.

VN Store

Back