U.S. sees latest Iran missile test as, aggressive behaviour

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
London, Apr. 01 – The United States called Iran’s test-firing of a radar-evading “multiple warhead” missile a demonstration of its “very active and aggressive military program”.

“We've seen, obviously, reports of the test. … I think it demonstrates that Iran has a very active and aggressive military program underway”, U.S. State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said, highlighting Tehran’s “efforts to develop weapons of mass destruction, as well as delivery systems”.

“It's a reminder of where Iran's intentions lie”, Ereli said.

“I think Iran's military posture, military development effort is of concern to the international community, as evidenced by the kind of consensus you're seeing with regard to their nuclear program, as well as other non-proliferation concerns”, he added. On Wednesday, the United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted a “Presidential Statement” giving Iran 30 days to halt all its uranium enrichment activities.

On Friday, a top commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) told Iranian state television that the Islamic Republic had successfully fired its first stealth missile.

“Today, we successfully tested a new-generation missile capable of striking several targets simultaneously”, Brigadier General Hossein Salami, who commands the IRGC Air Force, said.

The new domestically-produced missile can “hide from radars” and “evade anti-missile missiles”, Salami said.

The missile makes use of modern “multiple warhead” technology which allows it to strike several targets simultaneously with superior accuracy.

The missile was more advanced than those found in the armies of Iran’s adversaries, he said.

It was fired during the first day of weeklong large-scale naval exercises in the Persian Gulf and Sea of Oman. Images of the missile taking off were aired on state television.

A Shahab-2 missile was also fired “to show Iran’s desire for peace and friendship with neighbouring countries”.

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/arti...hp?storyid=6531

Our troops are going to be in the Middle East 50 years from now...

(Orangewhiteblood @ Apr 2 said:
Our troops are going to be in the Middle East 50 years from now...

Is there a problem with that? We still have troops in Korea, Germany, the Baltics, the Sinai, etc.

It is when people continue to look to other options than the military for their needs ie. education or having lack there of .And we have to start the draft back cause I can guarantee my ass is not going back there and I will do my best to talk anyone I love from joining til I can feel more confident about who is running the show and whether they are competent.
:hi:

Let's hope the world community is able to deal with this. IMO the situation in Iran is deadly serious and they cannot be permitted to continue with this. I have a feeling that if the UN does nto stop this very soon the Israelies will probably scramble the jets once more and bomb the Iranian nuclear refineries. I'm not sure where that would lead. It did not cause WWIII last time they did it but the situation could be more volatile now.

I am assuming that since you said you are not going back there DAV, that means you were over there previously. As such, I am interested to know what you think we should do. While I think the U.S. military is doing a good job it does not seem like the Bush administration has a real clear cut path to victory laid out. However, I am one of the people who believes that we have created a terror magnet in Iraq which is attracting a lot of crazies who would otherwise be spending their time trying to plot out the next 9-11. So I do see some value in taking the fight to their part of the world instead of us just sitting over here and waiting to react to the next terrorist act on our soil. Otherwise, I'm not real sure how we win the Iraq War. I know we want them to establish a representative government, but is that even feasible? Do you think they can do it?

My other question is what do we do about Iran and the nukes? It is obvious that they intend to create weapons. They are not even bothering to deny their intentions at this point. I see four choices:

(1) Try and get another invasion coalition together and go into Iran in a similar manner as we have gone into Iraq. I think we would rush to Tehran but probably wind-up facing the same type of fight as we are now engaged in just on a larger scale.

(2) Try to work through the U.N. i relly don't think the U.N. will authorize an attack though and I doubt the Iranians will give on this unless they are forced to.

(3) Precision strike. We or one of our allies take out these facilities. this would include the Israelis who may act alone anyway.

(4) Do nothing but voice opposition to the Iranian actions knowing that they will ultimately get the bomb.

I also think there are some real outside the box options that would really hurt the terrorists' ability to support their efforts such as taking out the Saud family in Saudi Arabia, carpet bombing Damascus, Syria, etc. Most of that stuff would probably help tacticly but be a political nightmare.

Mostly I just want to know what the people who have been there think we should do.

Definately - although this seems to be more of a 'world issue' than Iraq - so we might see more help across the board - at least they are promoting the fact that they are seeking to produce WMD's and we don't have to convince anbody of that.

VN Store

Back