Immigration Bill

rwemyss

Formerly MODest
I was reading a news article about these protests in Los Angeles and came by this quote...

"We may be illegal immigrants, but we are human," Metropolitan High School senior Melania Preciado said as she waved a Mexican flag. "We deserve the same rights as everyone else, not be treated like criminals."

If you missed what was so funny about it, and why this girl should have been in school instead of roaming the interstate, I'll bold the important terms for you.

"We may be illegal immigrants, but we are human," Metropolitan High School senior Melania Preciado said as she waved a Mexican flag. "We deserve the same rights as everyone else, not be treated like criminals."

:huh: :biggrin2: Maybe blame it on not understanding the English language properly?

(rwemyss @ Mar 28 said:
I was reading a news article about these protests in Los Angeles and came by this quote...
If you missed what was so funny about it, and why this girl should have been in school instead of roaming the interstate, I'll bold the important terms for you.
:huh: :biggrin2: Maybe blame it on not understanding the English language properly?

I would like to know what % of those protesters are actually illegals?

It means nothing to me.

The only part of it that bothers me is the fact that she was waving a Mexican flag. I generally have no problem with immigrants and I would rather see them on a citizenship track than as guest workers becasue I do not want to live in a country with second class citizens. For Pete's sake though, if you want to be in the U.S. please have the decency to wave the U.S. flag so maybe you won't look like an invading army.

OklaVol, do you know what illegal immigrants do with the cash they earn illegally here in the U.S.? They send it to Mexico, the government of Mexico knows this and actually budgets for it. If you don't believe me, next time you see a Tienda Mexicana, that is a mexican store, look at the signs in the window, since most of them are in spanish, I'll translate them. They advertise the services to send their dollars to Mexico.

It means nothing to you? Why not? Are you not interested in seeing our economy suffer because billions of dollars are sent back to Mexico ILLEGALLY?

To say "It means nothing to me." is true ignorance.

Here is a #$%^ rapper's quote from yesterday:

Jorge Ruiz: "We construct your schools. We cook your food. We are the motor of this nation, but people don't see us. Blacks and whites, they had their revolution. They had their Martin Luther King. Now it is time for us."

They want a REVOLUTION? How does this not bother the rest of the country?

Realize that most people have never been to Mexico proper, I'm not talking about americanized Cancun or Acapulco. I majored in Spanish at The University of Tennessee and spent 6 weeks in the city of Puebla. The outright hatred for the United States by Mexicans is common, rewind to the U.S.-Mexico Soccer Match a couple of years ago when the Mexican soccer fans were shouting "OSAMA".

If our borders are opened when does the next 9/11 happen?

Hey something I can agree with conservatives I say round them up but only after we build that 100 foot slightly inverted wall with gunners posted on it if we are in such a serious war then lets act like it on our borders.
:gun: is a much better choice than :mf_surrender:

I didn't say that all those people were illegals, all I did was point out that this GIRL said "WE ARE ILLEGAL" and then "don't treat us like CRIMINALS". ??? In case you didn't notice Okla, you are a criminal if you are an illegal immigrant. There are legal ways to immigrate to the US... everyone else in the world goes through this process, what makes people from Mexico and Latin America so special?

(rwemyss @ Mar 28 said:
what makes people from Mexico and Latin America so special?

I'll tell you exactly what makes them special . . . Hispanics make up the largest minority group in the United States and both political parties are trying to figure out how to solve the problem without looking like the bad guy to a huge voting block.

(GAVol @ Mar 28 said:
I'll tell you exactly what makes them special . . . Hispanics make up the largest minority group in the United States and both political parties are trying to figure out how to solve the problem without looking like the bad guy to a huge voting block.
Would you dispute the fact that they ARE the largest minority group BECAUSE so many have used illegal means to enter the country that others across the world do not have the pleasure of having? If they used the proper channels to enter the country like everyone else, there wouldn't be an issue here.

(rwemyss @ Mar 28 said:
Would you dispute the fact that they ARE the largest minority group BECAUSE so many have used illegal means to enter the country that others across the world do not have the pleasure of having? If they used the proper channels to enter the country like everyone else, there wouldn't be an issue here.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to that as far as how many originally came to the US illegally. But I agree with your point.

These protests defy all logic. They are trying to turn a simple case of lawbreaking into a human rights issue. :focus: It would be like if decided to go pitch a tent in my neighbor's front yard because I liked his better than mine and then got mad when I got accused of trespassing.

(Volunteer @ Mar 28 said:
OklaVol, do you know what illegal immigrants do with the cash they earn illegally here in the U.S.? They send it to Mexico, the government of Mexico knows this and actually budgets for it. If you don't believe me, next time you see a Tienda Mexicana, that is a mexican store, look at the signs in the window, since most of them are in spanish, I'll translate them. They advertise the services to send their dollars to Mexico.

It means nothing to you? Why not? Are you not interested in seeing our economy suffer because billions of dollars are sent back to Mexico ILLEGALLY?

To say "It means nothing to me." is true ignorance.

Kind of like the uncollected tax on illegal drugs, pot, etc.

(utfantilidie @ Mar 28 said:
Kind of like the uncollected tax on illegal drugs, pot, etc.
Or even fitting into this case, unpaid income taxes on the money that they are making in the first place...

Well, considering there is a march going right outside my office front door right now, I might as well comment. And just so the posters above know, Latinos/Hispanics are the majority in Arizona and I am in the minority. The same can be said for a couple other states (like Texas).

First off, why are they all flying Mexican flags? You want to claim American rights with that flag in your hand?

The media needs to quit making this their lead story. It is getting the first 10 minutes of every newscast here in Phoenix. I'm tired of hearing how we need to be sympathetic to people who break the law.

I'm sorry if the application process takes a while but most of our ancestors did it that way. We do have a system set in place to come into this country. What they now want is for us to adjust that to accomodate a certain group. How many illegal immigrants come from countries other than Mexico and the ones in Latin America? I don't know for sure but I would bet it's extremely low. Other governments realize that the US has laws in place and that these need to be followed. The Mexican gov't encourages these illegal actions.

Do you pay taxes? What do these taxes provide? I saw an interview with a man who said he had been in the US illegally for 10 years. You haven't earned the right to stay, you were just smart enough not to get caught. When asked if he had ever paid taxes, it was amazing how fast he bolted into the crowd. They don't pay income taxes but yet they get to freely use the public services provided by them How is this right? Part of my state taxes go to pay for FREE healthcare for illegals. I think my voice should be heard when I am supporting them! Pay taxes and I might listen to your arguments.

This bill would also punish those who help illegals enter and remain in the US. This includes those who employ them. I saw another interview on local news where a business owner said he would go under without this labor. GOOD! If the only way you can remain in business is by paying these illegals $10 a day then your business model is flawed.

Don't mean to rant but it just took me 45 minutes to get lunch, when it normally takes 10, because of these marches/protests.

Well said pj! This is part of what I've been trying to get across, but have been unsucessful.

Then again, I just started the thread b/c I thought the oxymoron in her quote was funny. :biggrin2:

well this nation is enjoying the big crappola sandwich its politicians and lobbyists have been making for the last 15-20 years. We bend over backwards not to offend anyone, politally correct takes a higher podium than common sense..(insert NAFTA here)..now we all get to take a big bite....enjoy.

(DAVOL @ Mar 28 said:
Hey something I can agree with conservatives I say round them up but only after we build that 100 foot slightly inverted wall with gunners posted on it if we are in such a serious war then lets act like it on our borders.
True. I don't usually take the conservative side, but I do on this one. Those here illegally need to be sent back from whence they came.

(rwemyss @ Mar 28 said:
Interesting. We have an illegal immigrant here, recieving a FREE public education, complaining about her rights. Since when do illegals deserve the same rights granted to US citizens by the Constitution. That's the whole point of becoming a citizen :huh:

Law breakers took to the streets and protested attempts to actually enforce the laws they wish to break.

Interestingly if the protesters were let's say, bank robbers, drug dealers, or embezzlers they wouldn't have the audacity to take to the streets and demand their "right" to continue their law breaking. If they did so, they would be heaped with scorn and ridicule not to mention arrested for their outstanding crimes. God help them if they were corporate crooks, they may be strung up right there in the street.

No, the protesters this weekend are no less criminal yet feel emboldened to demand the right to break the law. I'm speaking of course of illegal immigrants (note the first word "illegal" in the title). How on earth did the laws against illegal entry into this country become such a joke that 500,000 illegals take to the streets and protest without fear of arrest and deportation, especially in the wake of 9-11-2001?

We already know that illegal immigrants have contempt for this country and ours laws but seriously, what the hell happened? All weekend I heard that they "just want to come here and be Americans and contribute." I heard them say that "we are the backbone of this country." Yet between the costs of their medical care, policing, and educating their children with the added billions of dollars to teach them in Spanish and not English which they refuse to learn. It's my sense that they are not the backbone of America, but they are breaking our back.

I'm told that without them I would be paying $6.00 for a head of lettuce, or $15.00 for a plate of spaghetti when I go out to eat. I supposed to think that's far worse than the billions and billions of dollars we are shelling out for the above mentioned Government services. Actually, when you sit and do the math we'd be far better off paying more for our produce, dinning out, lawn maintenance, etc. That is considerably less than we pay to keep illegal immigrants here.

With all of that said, President Bush says we need them because "they do jobs Americans won't do." This is true and it's our fault for allowing any American to decide that he or she is "too good" to take whatever jobs are available, and turn to tax payers to pay their way. Shame on the welfare state, and shame on this country for allowing it to come to this. If we are to fix the problem of illegal immigration we must first fix welfare once and for all. No one should be able to pass up a job, any job in favor of a Government check.

During the Great Depression there was no such thing as a job that an American wouldn't do. Shock of shocks, there was no illegal immigration problem either. In fact Americans in those days had the same attitude about work that immigrants (illegal or otherwise) have today. The liberal welfare program has made a mess of this country and now they defend not only the right of some Americans to sit on their asses and not work, but defend the right of foreigners to break our laws to come here and take jobs that these same lazy ass Americans won't do.

What the hell?

I'm saying this all in fun.....

I think it would have been funny if big trucks showed up at the parade and starting exporting illegal immigrants back to Mexico..

I would just like to go to Wal-Mart one time and not have a bunch of illegal immigrants around me talking in Spanish. It irritates the heck out of me. I wish they could pass a bill about speaking English or keeping your mouth shut.

I'd rather hear Spanish than the English that some people speak.

VN Store

Back