VOL NAVY (questions)

OrangeHammer

-Lost In Da Sauce-
I've been doing the tailgating/vol walk thing for years now and me and a few friends were trying to switch it up a bit. Can anyone give me info on any public docks closer to the stadium? Also, do you just pull up and tie on or is there a process that I need to be aware of. Thanks for taking the time to read and any info is greatly appreciated. GO VOLS!

I've been doing the tailgating/vol walk thing for years now and me and a few friends were trying to switch it up a bit. Can anyone give me info on any public docks closer to the stadium? Also, do you just pull up and tie on or is there a process that I need to be aware of. Thanks for taking the time to read and any info is greatly appreciated. GO VOLS!

The closest boat ramp is on Alcoa Hwy next to the Army base but it gets crowded on game day be patient. Just tie up to the next boat in line and expect people will walk across your boat to make it to dock. Dont forget to drop the bumpers off the side of your boat..Other than that enjoy..

In case you need a boat.....

Yacht mysteriously washes up on Fla. Gulf Coast - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah, everyone just gets becomes a "family" if you will. Just tie up to the next boat (you'll see everyone else doing it). It's neat and it's a great, fun atmosphere.

As a Volunteer with a son in the Naval Academy, I get to root for both the Vols and Navy. I don't know what I'll do if they ever play each other.

Last edited:
Definitely something I want to do...anyone got a boat :lol:

Many moons ago when I was in school we decided we were going to do it. We loaded up my old jon boat and put in at the Marine Corps ramp and headed to the game.

A yuppie type with a 40' Sea Ray cabin flagged me down as we got near the dairy. He asked if I had any tools. Well, I had a 30 year old outboard, a hull that leaked like a sieve, and yes, I did have a tool box on board. I "Volunteered" to help him out. Me and my 2 buddies pulled up alongside the yacht in the old jon and took a look at his problem. It seems he'd broke his drive shaft slap in half. :crazy: I told him I had a tool box not a machine shop. I did offer to tow him to the game.

We tied the big yacht to the stern of the wore out jon and the smoking little 60's model JohnnyRude struggled for all it was worth but we did make it to the game in plenty of time to drain a few beverage containers from the cooler.

As we pulled into the docks I asked the TWRA officer where he wanted me to park and he kinda laughed and said my jon would be squished between the yachts. I said, no, not mine, I gotta pull it up on the bank, it leaks too much to sit out here for 3 hours, it'd sink. I told him I meant the 40 footer I was towing. I ended up handing off the big boat to him to handle and pulled the jon up on the bank.

After the game it was beginning to get dark, well it was pretty dark. I started out of the dock and my bow light was working but not the stern light. The TWRA guy eased up and said, "I can't let you leave with that light not burning but I can tow you down to the ramp after everyone else leaves." Well we loafed around a little and someone loaned us a flashlight. I did have duct tape in the tool box so I taped the flashlight to the stern light pole and off we started. About the time I got to the TWRA boat for the 2nd time the stupid light quit and here he came again.

We loafed around another 30 minutes and having to bail out the boat constantly was getting old. One of my buddies bailed on me and walked back to campus. I finally decided I could sneak out of the dock area, so we turned off all lights and eased out on the trolling motor till I got past the concrete plant.

We fired up the old outboard and headed to the ramp. We kinda skinned the bank on the Neyland Drive side headed down river and were going to cross over at the Alcoa Hwy Bridge. About halfway across just at the bridge the dang outboard decided to quit.

There we were in the middle of the dang river with a dead outboard and only a bow light. I pulled and pulled and pulled some more on the rope. Adjusted, sprayed a little either on it, no luck so far. I looked up and here come 40 or so boats from the game barring down on us. My buddy is running the trolling motor and holding the clamp on bow light up in the air waiving it. I'm trying to start the engine. Finally it fired up and I ran it straight to the bank on the dairy side of the river. We eased along that bank till we got to the ramp. Loaded up and left.

I've been twice since in a bass rig, but not near the adventure.

my advice would be, make sure your boat is in good working order. a 1:00 start is the best, we traveled from B & B marine in Charleston, TN. the trip took close to eight hours one way. as you can imagine on the way home we were ready to get back, however it's really hard to see when you have beer and darkness in both eye's. so keep the trip short, don't bring the women (as they tend the *****) watch for twra, because they love to bust people trying to have a good time. other than that, just be smart and try not to stick out or run aground.

I've launched out of Concord Marina several times. It's a nice cruise up the river. Seeing Neyland when you come around the last bend is a sight to see.

Many moons ago when I was in school we decided we were going to do it. We loaded up my old jon boat and put in at the Marine Corps ramp and headed to the game.

<snip>

I've been twice since in a bass rig, but not near the adventure.

Classic. Brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing.

Sooo, does anyone want to let a fellow Vol aboard their Yacht? I saw a mega yacht this past weekend anchored right next to the dock that had a walkway to it(and the neighboring boats). The owner was a nice man but I didn't want to be rude :)

VN Store

Back