Vols in Texas

govols57

Guys,

I was born and raised in Knoxville, went to Farragut High School then moved to Nashville after that. So I have always had access to UT games on Television and Nashville was never to far for a quick trip home to God's country for a game.

Sadly I had to move to Dallas, TX for work in February and if I see another burnt orange longhorn fan Im gonna puke!! But are there any other VOL fans in Texas that can help me out and let me know what kind of Television coverage the Vols get out here and if not where can I go (via internet) to watch the games this year. Thanks!!

VOL4LIFE!!!

Guys,

I was born and raised in Knoxville, went to Farragut High School then moved to Nashville after that. So I have always had access to UT games on Television and Nashville was never to far for a quick trip home to God's country for a game.

Sadly I had to move to Dallas, TX for work in February and if I see another burnt orange longhorn fan Im gonna puke!! But are there any other VOL fans in Texas that can help me out and let me know what kind of Television coverage the Vols get out here and if not where can I go (via internet) to watch the games this year. Thanks!!

VOL4LIFE!!!

Not sure. I have cousins that were born in West Tennessee and then moved to Waxahatchie (right outside of Dallas). They still live and breath UT football. Ill ask them and get back with you.

Guys,

VOL4LIFE!!!
Send a PM to Vader. He lives in DFW too.

Guys,

VOL4LIFE!!!

There is a Vol fan club that gets together to watch games in Dallas. I'm not sure where they are meeting this year, but you should check out The University of Tennessee Alumni Dallas / Ft. Worth Chapter as a starting point. I hope this helps.

Guys,

VOL4LIFE!!!

I don't live in TX, so I can't help you there, sorry. But I do share the same affinity for hating that burnt orange color. But most of all I hate how they think they are "the real UT." You simply have to remind them of 2 facts:
1.) Tennessee was a University (est. 1794) before Texas was a state (joined the Union on 12/29/1845).
2.) If it wasn't for the might VOLUNTEERS from TENNESSEE, then Texas wouldn't even be a state. They would still be Mexico.

How do you like them pesos, amigo? :good!: :hi:

I think generally if you have an SEC network affiliate and an extensive cable package (i.e. all the ESPN channels like ESPNU) you'll get to see all the games except UT-Martin on TV. If you don't have the SEC network in your area then you'll want to get ESPN gameplan to watch whatever UT games end up on there.

SEC Sports News » ESPN Regional TV and SEC Introduce 'SEC Network'

There appears to be DFW affiliate.

I don't live in TX, so I can't help you there, sorry. But I do share the same affinity for hating that burnt orange color. But most of all I hate how they think they are "the real UT." You simply have to remind them of 2 facts:
1.) Tennessee was a University (est. 1794) before Texas was a state (joined the Union on 12/29/1845).
2.) If it wasn't for the might VOLUNTEERS from TENNESSEE, then Texas wouldn't even be a state. They would still be Mexico.

That is why they are otherwise referred to as UTsr and UTjr by those of us who now live in the Pronghorn State.

College Game Plan worked for me when I had Direct TV. I have not bought any special package since switching to Dish Network.

Game threads here can lead to alcoholism.

Gig em'

Thanks everyone!! I dont want to miss a game this year and I can't wait for the season to start!! I think we are going to be better than what a lot of people think!

GBO!!!!

That is why they are otherwise referred to as UTsr and UTjr by those of us who now live in the Pronghorn State.

Got 2 buddies that went to Texas and i asked them about the UT thing. They didn't think it was an issue b/c they and their family n friends always called it TU. That being said it makes me wonder how much of this hub bub is even worth debating.

I am from Tennessee, but have lived here in Houston for 5 years. I have ATT Uverse and with that and ESPN Gameplan I have seen every VOL football game except UT vs UAB... and that was only because of Hurricane IKE knock all the power out.

All the TEXAS people I argue with it is always the "REAL" UT (vols) vs. UT Longhorns.

It is all good natured, they are more worried about A&M and Oklahoma.

Last edited:

I hate the Pronghorns too, but, unfortunately, your two points have nothing to do with football. We need to get back to winning again before Texans take UT seriously.

Recently I mentioned your point #1 during around of golf here, because this couple had Texas bumper stickers & other crap all over their golf cart. The man was friendly but his wife was a real b**ch & didn't speak to me again during the rest of the round. It didn't help that her game went south big time & my wife outplayed her. :eek:lol:

Guys,

VOL4LIFE!!!

I can related. I was born in Knoxville, graduated Farragut, went to UT undergrad.... and now I'm in Austin, the epicenter of longhorn euphoria.

There is a Vol alumni group here, I'm sure Dallas has a bigger and more active group.

I try to get back for 1-2 games a year, but honestly 100% of our games are available in some shape form or fashion on live TV, particularly with the advent of ESPN's SEC package. Being far from God's country isn't as tough as it would have been 20 years ago.

I live just outside San Antonio sine 1994, dye-hard native Tennessean. I've had Direct TV that long and I pay extra for the ESPN Gameplan and normally get all VOL games. Occasionally there might be a game like UT vs UT-Martin that you might not get but usually you do. Sometimes you can get it on pay-4-view but it is a rare occasion that you have to do that. If it's not on ESPN Gameplan then it's on the major network or regular ESPN or ESPN2. I can live with a lot of things but NOT without my Vols football fix! When I say I'm a dye-hard VOLS fan, I mean it, and my 2007 White Toyota Tundra is always decked out with the Orange T, big flag, and smokey. My wife, that would be wife #2, went to UT-Austin so I always give her and her friends the devil relating that the real UT is in Knoxville. I also ask them if they have a stadium. LOL. I like the Longhorns too but not like the VOLS. There is only 1 UT VOLS!

Send a PM to Vader. He lives in DFW too.

Yes I do. I live in the burbs near DFW airport.

There is a Vol fan club that gets together to watch games in Dallas. I'm not sure where they are meeting this year, but you should check out The University of Tennessee Alumni Dallas / Ft. Worth Chapter as a starting point. I hope this helps.

This is good advice. I have watched a couple of games with these folks and it is a good time. I have 3 young kids and it is logistically challenging to bring them along, so I just have a good cable package and ESPN gameplan and watch all the games at home.

Welcome to DFW. It's not all bad.

Go Vols.

I hate the Pronghorns too, but, unfortunately, your two points have nothing to do with football. We need to get back to winning again before Texans take UT seriously.

Recently I mentioned your point #1 during around of golf here, because this couple had Texas bumper stickers & other crap all over their golf cart. The man was friendly but his wife was a real b**ch & didn't speak to me again during the rest of the round. It didn't help that her game went south big time & my wife outplayed her. :eek:lol:

If you notice, a lot of people's comments don't have anything to do with football. I just don't like anything that has to do with "UT jr." Additionally, Texas didn't take us seriously even in the 90's when we were badass, so your point about getting back to winning before they take us seriously doesn't work. Texans are arrogant, and they will never take anyone seriously other than themselves.

Aside from that, that's hilarious that you commented on that couple's golf cart. I have a friend that I play golf with regularly that is a huge Georgia Tech fan, and he's the exact same--his game just keeps getting worse the more I rag on him.

I also kid the Texans around here that if we had a couple hundred more Tennesseans here they never would have taken the Alamo. LOL. There is an Tennessee alumni group here somewhere and they used to meet at a bar to watch the game. You wouldn't believe how many Tennessee fans there are here. I run into them all the time because I see them wearing our very distintive orange shirts/hats, etc. Since I'm wearing mine 80% of the time I usually talk to them or someone will come up to me. All my friends know NOT to call me or contact me while the Tennessee game is on as I won't respond, including my wife. I want zero interruptions while watching the VOLS play. Of course my friends think I'm crazy, but who cares what they think! I don't. GBO.

This is good advice. I have watched a couple of games with these folks and it is a good time. I have 3 young kids and it is logistically challenging to bring them along, so I just have a good cable package and ESPN gameplan and watch all the games at home.

Go Vols.

I live in The Colony, Austin Ranch and I have Time Warner Cable. Do you know if Time Warner carries the same ESPN Gameplan Package?

Go Vols.

Vader, like you, I have a young child myself. But, if I recall correctly, aren't these viewing parties pretty family friendly?

I live in The Colony, Austin Ranch and I have Time Warner Cable. Do you know if Time Warner carries the same ESPN Gameplan Package?
It appears so

ESPN GamePlan | Time Warner Cable | North Texas

You know, with the addition of the SEC network games and ESPN 360, you may be able to get away with skipping Gameplan, but if you are a football junkie, you can watch several games of other SEC teams you might not see otherwise

Hey govols57,

I was born and raised in Knoxville, graduated from Fulton and now living in Carrollton, Tx just north of Dallas. Before moving here, I lived in Orlando, Fl and I have say Texas fans are way easier to take than gator fans.

I usually tell my Texas fan friends that the Vols have the "True" orange and that Texas orange looks like somebody p*ssed on it. Doesn't make me very popular here :)

lived in houston for awhile, always represented with a ut cap on, they were always harping about the real UT until i reminded them "1796 bro" . we were a uniiversity nearly a century before texas even became a state

I just moved my family from Carrollton (20 mins north of Dallas) to Franklin. I grew up in Knoxville so it is so nice to be home. Texans are arrogant about everything not just football but the area is good place to live. I met a HS referee who was a Tennessee alumni and he said Dallas has the 2 largest population of alumni in the country. About 3K and they get together and rent out a convention hall (holiday inn I believe) to tailgate and watch all the games. I prefer watching with my family but I'm sure that would be a great atmosphere. I'm sorry I don't know where they meet but it shouldn't be hard to find out through the alumni directory.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hey govols57,

I was born and raised in Knoxville, graduated from Fulton and now living in Carrollton, Tx just north of Dallas. Before moving here, I lived in Orlando, Fl and I have say Texas fans are way easier to take than gator fans.

I usually tell my Texas fan friends that the Vols have the "True" orange and that Texas orange looks like somebody p*ssed on it. Doesn't make me very popular here :)

I agree...Texas fans are way eaiser to talk to that Gator fans. It doesnt matter where I am...every florida fan I have ever met has been an ass!!....every one!!!

VN Store

Back