Josh Malone Got Bad Advice

WiseOlVol

Looks like Dobbs and Kamara will go in 2nd.
Nobody predicting Malone in 2nd at any time in the process.
Is there any doubt that he'd have moved way up with another season? Particularly with JJ on the other side?
Malone is a bona fide 5*.
Looks like he got some bad advice.

Reactions: 16 people
If you're not projected in the first two rounds, it's a bad move to go early. Only upside is if you're secretly injured, getting ready to flunk out/ get disqualified for some reason, or if your family is so desperate for money that you have to do it.

Reactions: 11 people
Hope he doesnt end up like North -- I too think he should have came back -- from the looks of the Spring practices the offense might be more pass oriented this year

Reactions: 1 person
If you're not projected in the first two rounds, it's a bad move to go early. Only upside is if you're secretly injured, getting ready to flunk out/ get disqualified for some reason, or if your family is so desperate for money that you have to do it.

All true. Don't know Josh fits in any of your examples but you nailed it. If not projected to go in first two rounds best to stay and work on raising your draft stock.

Being drafted in later rounds in the NFL and making a roster is like playing professional basketball overseas.

A lot of folks dismiss it and feel sorry for the individual and they are still making a boat load of money.

Maybe he hated school. Maybe he needs to start making money now. Maybe he was scared of getting injured. There are lots of things that go into a decision.

League minimum next season is $500,000.

What if he had a Marcus Lattimore situation next year?

Reactions: 30 people

The league minimum is $465,000. Explain to me how it's a bad move if you make a roster?

Reactions: 17 people
Being drafted in later rounds in the NFL and making a roster is like playing professional basketball overseas.

A lot of folks dismiss it and feel sorry for the individual and they are still making a boat load of money.

Maybe he hated school. Maybe he needs to start making money now. Maybe he was scared of getting injured. There are lots of things that go into a decision.

Yes to all of that. Looking back, I bet Cam Sutton and JRM wish they had declared early in 2016.

Reactions: 10 people
The league minimum is $465,000. Explain to me how it's a bad move if you make a roster?

Hard to argue that's it's not. Just seems to me he has too much potential to justify where he'll be drafted this year. On the other hand I guess that makes him a possible steal for some team.

Is there any doubt that he'd have moved way up with another season? Particularly with JJ on the other side?

It was a bigger risk for Malone to enter the draft than play another year. His stock would be much higher if he played with a pass first QB, which looks like will be the case this year.

I don't think he did at all. He knew he wasn't a first or second round pick, likely 4th or so, and that was good with him. He might even be a 3rd

And yes, there was a ton of doubt he'd have moved up had he stayed. He just had a very good 1,000 yard/11 td season where he showed he could be a #1 college WR with "deep threat" capability. There were a few things up in the air for him had he stayed, particularly having to develop chemistry with a new qb.

I think he made the right move. Go into the league a year early, get your NFL clock started and go make a lot of money. Plus, it's also likely he was just emotionally and mentally ready to go, ready to stop having to go to class. I don't blame him and think he likely made the best call for him.

Reactions: 7 people
I can see why he did it - A new OC, a new QB and knowing what happened to JRM and Sutton.

Not bad advice. He will get drafted. North got bad advice.

Reactions: 6 people

Or get injured your senior season playing Indiana State

He'll get drafted IMO. 3rd round is about as good as he can expect.

Hope he doesnt end up like North -- I too think he should have came back -- from the looks of the Spring practices the offense might be more pass oriented this year

North was 1000% done with the college experience, didn't want to be here anymore. I heard either Ainge or Swain (can't recall which) recently say that North had the worst body language of any player he can recall at Tennessee in a long, long time, maybe ever. Said he'd go watch practice and it was clear that Marquez just didn't wanna be there.

So while it looked like a really bad decision to the average Joe Fan like you and me because he had just had another poor, injured plagued season, it was best for North and the team that he move on.

I can see why he did it - A new OC, a new QB and knowing what happened to JRM and Sutton.

Not bad advice. He will get drafted. North got bad advice.

Good points all. Lots of intangibles going into the upcoming season.

Exactly… 500 large is a nice entry-level job

People who think Malone cares about where he get's picked are crazy. He will get picked. He will surprise people and he will get a better contract. Move on please.

Reactions: 2 people
North was 1000% done with the college experience, didn't want to be here anymore. I heard either Ainge or Swain (can't recall which) recently say that North had the worst body language of any player he can recall at Tennessee in a long, long time, maybe ever. Said he'd go watch practice and it was clear that Marquez just didn't wanna be there.

So while it looked like a really bad decision to the average Joe Fan like you and me because he had just had another poor, injured plagued season, it was best for North and the team that he move on.

Yes, if his mind and heart wasn't with the Vols anymore then it's time to wish him well and move on. Hope nothing but the best for him.

Reactions: 3 people

I'd add it's a good idea to go early if you just had an outstanding season that improved your stock greatly and you're having to "break-in" and develop chemistry with a new qb under a new OC. Malone knew his situation better than any of us. He's gonna get drafted 3rd or 4th round, get a little bonus/guaranteed money, and make, at minimum, $500,000 this year. And with his immense talent and some actual good WR coaching at the next level (assuming he doesn't go to the Bears), he can have a very good, solid NFL career imo.

VN Store

Back