Jimmy Hyams just said...

Teeman

on 104.5 The Zone, that Guarantano would likely be the starting QB next year. He said Dormady has a good arm and is more mobile than Worley was, but that with this O-line, Guarantano's athleticism would be needed to make plays. Much like Josh Dobbs. When asked if the O-line is ever going to be good, he responded, "not with this scheme". Cited Appy State game as an example and said they only got better when they started putting a hat on a hat. Wycheck agreed.

Hyams also said, S&C situation was handled very badly and that CBJ would likely be very familiar with, and have the support of, the AD to be named. He went on to say that Trey Smith's commitment was huge and that, unlike Richmond and Blair, he expects him to have an immediate impact.

Reactions: 9 people
I have no doubt that JG is capable of starting next year..................the way some are suggesting it as a foregone conclusion is what I take issue with. There is so much time between now and next year that we have no clue how any of the QBs will progress or regress.

Reactions: 21 people
I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I remember reading earlier in the season that the O Line doesn't even know what to block for sometimes, because Dobbs has so much freedom to modify plays.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I remember reading earlier in the season that the O Line doesn't even know what to block for sometimes, because Dobbs has so much freedom to modify plays.

I remember that to. Said they weren't sure if he was going to keep it or hand it off.

Three QBs will compete for the starting job. The one most ready to run the offense will win the spot.

-butchna

Reactions: 10 people
... That we landed on the moon!

Attachments

• we-landed-on-the-moon-jim-carey-dumb-and-dumber.gif
    we-landed-on-the-moon-jim-carey-dumb-and-dumber.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,709
Reactions: 8 people
I have no doubt that JG is capable of starting next year..................the way some are suggesting it as a foregone conclusion is what I take issue with. There is so much time between now and next year that we have no clue how any of the QBs will progress or regress.

I agree. A lot can happen between now and then. I just found it interesting, and disturbing, that he thinks it's Guarantano because of the limitations of the blocking scheme. He said he has talked to former OL and they concur.

So our coach, who acknowledges that this league is won and lost based on line play, runs a system that almost guarantees that oline play will not be good? Interesting

Reactions: 10 people
McElroy on XM said the other day that as a team, Tennessee just wasn't physical enough at the point of attack. This makes more sense than just about all the other analysis going on out there, as simple as it is. Hyams' comments about the line seem to be on target with what McElroy said.

The difference between the Vols and Bama is no so much about talent, though there is a big disparity there, but about how physical Bama is vs our gooey soft approach to the game.

Reactions: 9 people
with an inexperienced oline next year, UT needs to go with the most mobile Qb.

CBJ has a history of starting players based on experience/seniority rather than skill/fit. Won't surprise me one bit if he puts Domady in until he gets hurt from lack of protection from the Mahoney-line.

Considering that JG hasn't thrown a pass yet in college football, he's a complete unknown anyway at this point.

Reactions: 2 people
It's a damned shame that a major college coach cannot find a "scheme" that fits the skill set of HIS recruits. Forcing round pegs into square holes is why 8 wins seems to be his ceiling.

GO BIG ORANGE

Reactions: 11 people
I agree. A lot can happen between now and then. I just found it interesting, and disturbing, that he thinks it's Guarantano because of the limitations of the blocking scheme. He said he has talked to former OL and they concur.

Our OL has been and will be a problem going forward. Talent has played a part, but mainly player development......or lack of.

Reactions: 6 people
CBJ has a history of starting players based on experience/seniority rather than skill/fit. Won't surprise me one bit if he puts Domady in until he gets hurt from lack of protection from the Mahoney-line.

Considering that JG hasn't thrown a pass yet in college football, he's a complete unknown anyway at this point.

He also has a history of not going with experience/seniority at his previous stops at CMU and CIN

He is only guessing

Exactly. I'm guessing Dormady is starting. Just like Worley vs dobbs and Peterman in year one. Experience means alot. And tbh, Dormady has a ROCKET of an arm. Might actually show the nation that UT has true talent at wr...

McElroy on XM said the other day that as a team, Tennessee just wasn't physical enough at the point of attack. This makes more sense than just about all the other analysis going on out there, as simple as it is. Hyams' comments about the line seem to be on target with what McElroy said.

The difference between the Vols and Bama is no so much about talent, though there is a big disparity there, but about how physical Bama is vs our gooey soft approach to the game.

It reminds me of when Fulmer brought in Dave Clawson in '08 and they tried that zone blocking scheme...which was completely different than anything Fulmer had done previously. That made no sense at the time and we know the result.

I don't understand some these hires especially when there is a difference in philosophy.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree on the OLine. Been saying the same for the past two years now. Playing back on their heels and directing traffic does not work. They need to start putting their hand in the dirt and firing off the ball. Forget about not trying to tip off the defense on a Pass or Run. Butch has to learn to play SEC Football, not MAC ball.

I think the OL is better and will be even better than people can believe. All 3 candidates have quicker releases. Dan Marino and Peyton were practical statues, but their OL's were acclaimed...because their guys had low sack totals. Dobbs was always good for an occasional high yardage sack because he would hold onto the ball too long and took a longer windup. Seemed moreso this season. He bulked up a tad. That helped in trucking some fools but it cost him that extra millisecond in the backfield. I don't know that any of these kids are going to be more proficient...just that they'll get the ball out faster.

Our OLine next season will be the most experienced it's been in a very long time.Will be an upperclassmen dominated line. But I do thing Guarantano will be the starter regardless.

Experience will not be an issue with the OL next year. Richmond, Boulware, Robertson, Thomas, Jones, and Hall have all seen significant playing time.

...our gooey soft approach to the game.

That "gooey soft approach" is a big reason for so ,many devastating injuries.

don-t-bring-knife-to-gunfight-message-recycled-paper-note-pinned-cork-board-concept-image-51988216.jpg

That isn't accurate. He has never been one to play experience over fit/skill level.Now showing favoritism is a different story. He is very close to Jarrett and especially his Dad..Jarrett will be our starter next year. Luckily he is the most talented and the perfect fit for the offense.

VN Store

Back