Vols trending Down (247 article)

I just saw it being passed around on facebook. Tired of seeing our program in the negative light.

Reactions: 9 people
I was just about to post this. It expresses a lot of what some fans feel regarding CBJ, including myself.

I really do believe CBJ is at a crossroads in his career and he will need to be willing to focus on himself first and make the necessary changes to move forward and grow into being a head coach at a big-time program on a huge stage.

Reactions: 6 people
Articles that contain quotes by "anonymous sources close to the situation" always give me pause. Props to Hood for being the only one to attach his name to his opinion

Reactions: 52 people
Wow. This article will do wonders for our recruiting..

One good thing: Assistants WILL be leaving. Article cited that there were "defensive philosophy squabbles" between some of the defensive coaches. Shows why we were so bad on that side of the ball. Forget the players not buying in to Shoop's defense, our own assistants didn't buy in. Butch better clean house and get this trending back in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 people
I would give anything for Butch to sit down in front of a microphone and take some ownership. Either own the disappointment of 2016, or own some expectations moving forward.

Anything along the lines of "We're tired of the talk and Tennessee is coming to play." Just have some BALLS, man. I don't need all the Kiffin crap talking, but acknowledge that this BS is out there about you and your team and tell everyone that you're not backing down from any challenges or expectations.

We'll never get it, and it sucks.

Reactions: 9 people
Can't argue with the truth. It's always hard when the person who isn't getting the job done is a likable guy.

Reactions: 7 people
i mean it says blackburn could do alot to help him out, but "BR" taking one quote from D Hood and making that the opening link to get attention, was just click bait obviously.....not saying that the article doesn't have facts.....but it seems like the biggest thing is coach aint comfy in his own skin, and he needs a eureka moment.....also if he and Lawson had spent 10 years togehter why would the friction last that long without him leaving earlier?

kinda confused me.....

we all heard rumbles about him "meddling" with Defense and all but the article even says he does a great job recruiting and play calling etc....

Reactions: 3 people
“Why would you lecture the media?” the source said. “You can’t have a slogan that says ‘Own It’ and then not own it when it comes time. People will follow true leaders through brick walls, but if you talk and don’t back it up, you turn over your shoulder and no one is there.”

Think that's Rucker?

Reactions: 4 people
Don't like any article that won't name the negative sources but names the positive one. One other thing and it's a pet peeve, I hate reading one sentence paragraph articles, it pure amateur hour

Reactions: 14 people
i mean it says blackburn could do alot to help him out, but "BR" taking one quote from D Hood and making that the opening link to get attention, was just click bait obviously.....not saying that the article doesn't have facts.....but it seems like the biggest thing is coach aint comfy in his own skin, and he needs a eureka moment.....also if he and Lawson had spent 10 years togehter why would the friction last that long without him leaving earlier?

kinda confused me.....

we all heard rumbles about him "meddling" with Defense and all but the article even says he does a great job recruiting and play calling etc....

Yeah my BR alert on my phone said "The culture is a disaster"

Kind of a cheap shot by all involved.

Reactions: 5 people
Wow. This article will do wonders for our recruiting..

One good thing: Assistants WILL be leaving. Article cited that there were "defensive philosophy squabbles" between some of the defensive coaches. Shows why we were so bad on that side of the ball. Forget the players not buying in to Shoop's defense, our own assistants didn't buy in. Butch better clean house and get this trending back in the right direction.
Hurt so much with trey..

I would give anything for Butch to sit down in front of a microphone and take some ownership. Either own the disappointment of 2016, or own some expectations moving forward.

Anything along the lines of "We're tired of the talk and Tennessee is coming to play." Just have some BALLS, man. I don't need all the Kiffin crap talking, but acknowledge that this BS is out there about you and your team and tell everyone that you're not backing down from any challenges or expectations.

We'll never get it, and it sucks.

He'll let Dobbs answer the tough questions, just like after Vandy.

Then we should start winning more games.

The negativity towards the University of Tennessee from the media and voters has been going on long before Butch got here.

Look at us getting Trey yesterday. You hardly see a write up about it. Yet, if it was Alabama that would have got him you couldn't open a site without having to read it first.

Yeah my BR alert on my phone said "The culture is a disaster"

Kind of a cheap shot by all involved.

Well what should have been back to back 11 win regular seasons sorta gives negative stories legs..... Had we not had coaching issues in 3 or 4 games over the past two years, Jones would be celebrated. Now it is exactly what the article says: a crossroads.

Pretty much called a spade a spade there. If you read the whole thing, it's not all gloom and despair, but he's right that Butch's margin for error is extremely thin at this point. He's basically got 1 shot to replace key staff members and turn it around next year. If it works out, that's a good thing for all of us. If not, he's not going to get another chance.

The issue is that there isn't room for improvement without winning the East. From his 1st season through last year, we could improve, and did improve, every season, without winning our division. He absolutely showed he could do that, but to this point all he's done is brought the program from the mail room to middle management. To advance to the next level, he's got to win the East, and I'm not sure he's capable of that. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Classic Tennessee: sign the #1 prospect in the nation, then read about the program failing internally.

This feels gloomy, but also sensationalized for readership. The most troubling aspect, if true, is Butch questioning whether he belongs at UT. If the head guy doubts his abilities to lead the program, that will definitely affect everyone underneath him.

Reactions: 1 person
Because they (writers) do not have exclusive access or empirical evidence to support their claims, it is still opinion and speculation. Almost no reference to the amount of damage the Dooley and Kiffen debacle, that caused a severe drop in talent that basically will take 5 years to repair. I don't think it is fair to say "failing" when the win vs. loss has improved. I would describe CBJ's performce as a positive upward trend. I think many fans and sports writers are still comparing the 90s to how UT Sports should be, in reality, and I don't like typing this, Tennessee is a very unique school when it comes to reputation and geographic location. Tennessee was the benefactor of a lot of bad coaches in the SEC during the 90s and it has painted the wrong expectation. UT is a tweener school, once every 3-5 years they will have a run at a promising season, but we are not Bama and we are NOT Vanderbilt. I don't believe UT will have have the kind of depth of Bama, injuries this year proved that getting that kind of depth will be nearly impossible...........UNLESS, Butch finds those diamonds in the rough, but now we are talking about talent evaluations......and that is a hit or miss process.

VN Store

Back