Very interesting statement today by Coach Shoop

TechnoVol

@GrantRamey 7 hours ago
Shoop: We need to do better job w/ strength/speed training over the offseason. Contain problems "are something we need to correct for sure"

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Because he said it in public. It's interesting in the sense that CBJ usually would control that type of thing and never would allow it to be said in public.

Jones has never bothered to do that with Shoop.
Shoop has told who is leading in practice, who is injured/expected to return, everything. Nothing different about that.

Reactions: 8 people
I had my doubts about shoop, but he is proving himself. I'm seriously impressed with his defense. He is just a very bright guy. Usually very bright guys lack common everyday functions though. Like form tackling.

Reactions: 6 people
I had my doubts about shoop, but he is proving himself. I'm seriously impressed with his defense. He is just a very bright guy. Usually very bright guys lack common everyday functions though. Like form tackling.

Why did you doubt Shoop? He's had very solid defenses at Vandy and Penn State.

Reactions: 1 person
Every team Vols have played has run the outside at will. Shoops needs to worry about making that adjustment first. S&C is later.

Reactions: 7 people
How 'bout teaching DBs to turn around and look for the ball??!!

That and designing a defensive scheme that values setting the edge. It appears we don't value either of those things because after 7 games we constantly and consistently do neither.

I've been posting about this since Saturday. It's clear something is wrong with S&C. new coach = historic number of injuries. Not rocket science, folks.

Why did you doubt Shoop? He's had very solid defenses at Vandy and Penn State.

I didn't give a hoot about candy D and he just followed Franklin to P state. I didn't see anything worth bragging about. Then when he showed up he has that look in his eyes, like there was something going on upstairs he was trying to hide.

His gets the job done though. He does more than I think he should with what he has. The D looks great with him. He seems to really care too.

Against bama we were running a 4-2-5 - basically a nickel where the extra DB is really a LB (since we've lost 4 of out top 5 LBs)..

I think we needed something like a 8-4-5 to slow down Bama...

Reactions: 4 people

I'm the exact opposite. I had zero doubts about Shoop based on his track record. However, after watching our defense perform through 7 games, he has a lot to prove going forward IMO.

That and designing a defensive scheme that values setting the edge. It appears we don't value either of those things because after 7 games we constantly and consistently do neither.

agree. time to recruit DC type of players for depth.

if this makes sense?

Against bama we were running a 4-2-5 - basically a nickel where the extra DB is really a LB (since we've lost 4 of out top 5 LBs)..

I think we needed something like a 8-4-5 to slow down Bama...

12-6-9 IMO. If we could've played 27 on 11 we might've been able to slow their run game down......maybe.

@GrantRamey 7 hours ago
Shoop: We need to do better job w/ strength/speed training over the offseason. Contain problems "are something we need to correct for sure"

This what I like about Shoop. I was beginning to question him.

He was able to look across the field and see what a legit defense looks like. Heavy long and still athletic.

He has A LOT of talent sitting on the bench. Guys like
Taylor 6'4 245
Smith 6'3 240
Bituli 6'3 235

Would have made a huge difference in run support the past two weeks.
All of those dudes can run and can play on the edge.

He has shown he can adjust.

I'm the exact opposite. I had zero doubts about Shoop based on his track record. However, after watching our defense perform through 7 games, he has a lot to prove going forward IMO.

He's schematically brilliant, sometimes the players don't do the basics though. missed tackles are the worst. What ever, I'm not defensive coach, it's just what I see on T.V. I find myself screaming "WRAP UP" a lot though.

He's schematically brilliant, sometimes the players don't do the basics though. missed tackles are the worst. What ever, I'm not defensive coach, it's just what I see on T.V. I find myself screaming "WRAP UP" a lot though.

tackle with shoulder. you mess up the shoulder..tackle and wrap up you get the ball back.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back