Neyland re-sodding underway

jps2194

Vol for Life
Hopefully this will fix our grass problem once and for all. However, it seems counter intuitive to re-sod every year? We used to have the best field in the nation - hopefully the not so new grounds crew can get us back on top as our beloved Vols are about to be on top again :)

Attachments

• Neyland.jpg
    Neyland.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: 13 people
As much as I was against artificial turf, I'm a thinking it's time for a second look at it.

Chubb's injury last year has made me open my eyes too the new AT.

Reactions: 7 people
How many of us are now officially excited about watching grass grow?
I am, because when it's ready, IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!

Reactions: 5 people
I like the new field turf being used these days. This stuff at Neyland looked rough last year, wish we would switch.

Reactions: 5 people
Hopefully this will fix our grass problem once and for all. However, it seems counter intuitive to re-sod every year? We used to have the best field in the nation - hopefully the not so new grounds crew can get us back on top as our beloved Vols are about to be on top again :)

This is concerning to me. I've heard that one of the primary issues is the annual resodding up there in recent years. Roots don't have time to take hold and get deep into the soil. Hyams did a lot of reporting on this last fall. Said our previous groundskeeper, who never had an issue anywhere near what we've seen the last couple years and in fact, never really had one at all, never re-sodded the field, but rather was very good at maintaining/treating the field without having to take any drastic measures. Unless I'm really off base here, this is a concern.

Reactions: 13 people
FWIW, I seem to remember the field being up when my wife went to Football 101 last year, and I met her for the reception.

That was on the last day of May. Maybe they'll have another 4 weeks of growth if they get it put down soon.

So what was the point in paying a boatload of money for the lights to help grass grow over the winter when they were just going to rip it out anyway?

Reactions: 10 people
So what was the point in paying a boatload of money for the lights to help grass grow over the winter when they were just going to rip it out anyway?

I wondered the same thing about Nissan Stadium when they had the sprinkler issue during their Movie Night.

They know they're going to replace it after Fan Fest every year, why water the damn thing...especially in the spring when there's plenty rain?

My guess. They bought the lights in the hopes they would work. They didn't.

Reactions: 1 person
This is concerning to me. I've heard that one of the primary issues is the annual resodding up there in recent years. Roots don't have time to take hold and get deep into the soil. Hyams did a lot of reporting on this last fall. Said our previous groundskeeper, who never had an issue anywhere near what we've seen the last couple years and in fact, never really had one at all, never re-sodded the field, but rather was very good at maintaining/treating the field without having to take any drastic measures. Unless I'm really off base here, this is a concern.

I'm not an authority but my main house is in a golf community and we have to maintain sodded yards just so per a community covenant. The annual resodding makes zero sense to me based on the pros running around the golf community keeping up yards to standards. I have seen some yards resodded ONLY if they are badly damaged. I cannot believe as a total amateur speculating annually replacing the field at Neyland is a good idea for the reasons you said Hyams reported KB, as well as what I see with my own two eyes for years. Example, anyone see them replace your golf course's greens annually?

Reactions: 2 people
Grass had nothing to do with Chubb's injury. Would have happened on turf too.

I seen it on TV when it occurred. He didn't get hit hard, and it appeared to me he went down awkward due to the foot slipping, I assume, due to loose sod, imo.

Still, I am now for AT.

Reactions: 2 people
When the field was changed to turf in 1994 IIRC they sprigged the grass, they did not sod. I believe that propagation technique provides a better root structure compared to sodding.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry to say that Neyland Stadium turf is now every bit as awful as the Titans' sandbox. Embarrassing & treacherous! :jpshakehead:

A golf course grounds keeper told me once that if you water lightly but often it will lead to shallow roots. Watering should be done heavy but less frequently. After a heavy watering the ground should be allowed to dry so the roots will go deeper to get to the moisture.

Tennessee may have been watering lightly every day during the summer.

Reactions: 8 people
A golf course grounds keeper told me once that if you water lightly but often it will lead to shallow roots. Watering should be done heavy but less frequently. After a heavy watering the ground should be allowed to dry so the roots will go deeper to get to the moisture.

Off subject, did you ever see Marty Feldman do his "Visit to the Veterinarian" on the Dean Martin show?

Classic!!!

and that speculation comes from where? You pulled it from where?????

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back