Coaching Search Thread

bnhunt

Can we start one where we keep it to legitimate names (no Smarts, Pearls, Marshalls, etc.)?

Based on UTs last 4 hires, who were all mid-majors, here's who I see as legitimate names:

Will Wade (UTC HC) - won't move the national meter much, but some in the know think he could be the next Billy Donavan.

Bobby Hurley (Buffalo HC) - in line for a big-time HC job in next few years, but can he recruit in the south.

Ron Hunter (Ga St. HC) - he would be near the top of my list.

Steve Prohm (Murray St. HC) - also in line for a big-time HC job in next few years. This would be a solid hire.

Michael White (LA Tech HC) - he turned UT down once and I don't see them going back down that road.

Rick Byrd (Belmont HC) - it wouldn't be a good coaching search thread without throwing his name in. He would stabilize the program and run a clean program, but age and energy are a factor.

Rick Stansbury (former Miss St. HC/current Texas A&M asst.) - this would be intriguing. Had no NCAA issues despite what some think.

Please add to the list if I have left someone legitimate out.

Additional names:

Ben Jacobsen (Northern Iowa HC)

Chris Mack (Xavier HC)

Brad Underwood (SFA HC)

Andy Toole (Robert Morris HC)

Billy Donlon (Wright St. HC)

Richard Pitino (Minnesota HC)

Danny Hurley (Rhode Island HC)

Rick Barnes (former Texas HC)

Buzz Williams (VA Tech HC)

Chris Holtmann (Butler HC)

Kevin Keatts (UNC-Wilmington HC)

Bryce Drew (Valpo HC)

Tad Boyle (Colorado HC)

Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette HC)

Andy Kennedy (Ole Miss HC)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Can Ron Hunter bring in RJ if he is in line to graduate early and be a grad transfer? That would be a home run if we got him and his son!

Reactions: 1 person
Can Ron Hunter bring in RJ if he is in line to graduate early and be a grad transfer? That would be a home run if we got him and his son!

Very true. Didn't work well when we did it with Wade Houston, but I think Hunter is a much better coach.

Reactions: 3 people
Can we start one where we keep it to legitimate names (no Smarts, Pearls, Marshalls, etc.)?

Based on UTs last 4 hires, who were all mid-majors, here's who I see as legitimate names:

Will Wade (UTC HC) - won't move the national meter much.

Bobby Hurley (Buffalo HC) - in line for a big-time HC job in next few years, but can he recruit in the south.

Ron Hunter (Ga St. HC) - he would be near the top of my list.

Steve Prohm (Murray St. HC) - also in line for a big-time HC job in next few years. This would be a solid hire.

Michael White (LA Tech HC) - he turned UT down once and I don't see them going back down that road.

Rick Byrd (Belmont HC) - it wouldn't be a good coaching search thread without throwing his name in. He would stabilize the program and run a clean program, but age and energy are a factor.

Rick Stansbury (former Miss St. HC) - this would be intriguing. Had no NCAA issues despite what some think.

Please add to the list if I have left someone legitimate out.

I would like to know why Hunter is on the list? One appearance in the field of 32 is not what I call a great accomplishment. White hasn't done anything either. The others are pretty solid.

Ben Jacobsen, Northern Iowa
Chris Mack, Xavier

Two names I'd look at after Archie Miller told me to go pound sand, and make them say no. Prohm is my preference off the original list. I was a fan of the idea of hiring Howland last year, but that option is gone.

Hunters HC record is 361-265. Not that impressive. Only had 1 NCAAT appearance before GSU. Idk if you take a mediocre mid-level coach, just to get his son for a year (who in all fairness, is a very talented player).

Reactions: 5 people

Buzz Peterson?? Kevin O'Neill?? Wade?? :naughty:

Reactions: 1 person
Chris Mack, Xavier

Two names I'd look at after Archie Miller told me to go pound sand, and make them say no. Prohm is my preference off the original list. I was a fan of the idea of hiring Howland last year, but that option is gone.

Chris Mack gets a thumbs up.

Reactions: 4 people
Prohm is a good name to think about.

Is Richard Pitino widely considered a non-candidate? I've heard his name mentioned here and there, but it's normally shot down by someone saying UT would just be a stop for him, not a destination. I think he was high on our list last time around.

Chris Mack, Xavier

I think Miller just signed contract extension yesterday, so probably not an option. I will add the other 2 to the list, although not sure Chris Mack is a legitimate possibility.

Pinkins has been named interim. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried him for a season and held off on a hire and did some actual vetting if he can't handle it.
Knows the players.
Good teacher.
Mentors: miller, Kennedy, Tyndall
other teams have tried it. Depaul comes to mind.

Reactions: 3 people
Brad Underwood, holy **** how is he not on the radar? Took his first D1 feam to the NCAA tournament and beat VCU. Combined 61-8 record.

Reactions: 9 people
1(a) Miller or Mack
1(b) Prohm or Jacobson

One of them will say "yes" with the right package.

Chris Mack, Xavier

Archie just signed a deal that will keep him 5-6 years didn't he?

VN Store

Back