Herb Kirkstreit

Leo The Lip

I heard Kirk made some commentary about UT players only being interested in their pro futures. Does anyone have a copy of this quote?

i think it was chris fowler that said it. my brother replayed it over the phone for me after the game it sounded like chris.

Seems to me to be a left over notion from 2002. This team has too many young players to be concerned about the NFL right now.

Yeah...Chris was listing the dates for the Combine and Draft...saying that the UT players may want to take note of those....Kirk just laughed and said ... yeah it does seem like that. I can't remember, but one of them then went on to say (probably Corso)..I friend Mel Kiper thinks that there are only two of them..Ainge and the PUNTER that should even be worrying about those dates.

I call this the Kelly Washington plague. It seems it has been that way since he came here and the coachign staff cant over come it.

it was Fowler, and it was made in regards to an overall attitude that has/had existed in Knoxville for the past 3-5 years.

We do send to seem an obscene amount of talent to the draft....

and that talent never comes to fruition in Knoxville.

I think that's a ridiculous assessment with this team and these players. That poison is gone. Even if it were there with anyone, who is going to be drafted high enough to actually warrant that kind of mentality? Speaking of the upperclassmen of course. You'd be hard pressed to find any 1st or maybe even 2nd rounders right now other than perhaps Ainge if he goes that high.

I think that's a ridiculous assessment with this team and these players. That poison is gone. Even if it were there with anyone, who is going to be drafted high enough to actually warrant that kind of mentality? Speaking of the upperclassmen of course. You'd be hard pressed to find any 1st or maybe even 2nd rounders right now other than perhaps Ainge if he goes that high.
and that was the point Kirk made in following up on Fowler's comment.

I call this the Kelly Washington plague. It seems it has been that way since he came here and the coachign staff cant over come it.

He's definitely the poster child of this attitude, but I think it has reared its ugly head for the past 12 years or so. Probably something that goes with the territory - recruit highly rated HS players, you're going to get more who care more about playing in the NFL than their college careers.

I'm afraid we get the same thing in our basketball team as we get better. Let's hope pearl can keep that under control.

Seems to me to be a left over notion from 2002. This team has too many young players to be concerned about the NFL right now.

This is one of the most senior and junior laden teams UT has ever fielded.

Give me a break. Peerless Price was ten times worse than Kelley. Seems like we did alright when Peerless was playing. People that want to blame the bad 2002 season on Kelley should be rounded up and sterilized.

Give me a break. Peerless Price was ten times worse than Kelley. Seems like we did alright when Peerless was playing. People that want to blame the bad 2002 season on Kelley should be rounded up and sterilized.

Peerless consistently backed it up. Kelley became the past before he ever became "the future".

Peerless consistently backed it up. Kelley became the past before he ever became "the future".

Peerless never had a serious concussion. I was upset that our wide receivers sucked that year. That wasn't Washington's fault. He was great when he played.

Peerless never had a serious concussion. I was upset that our wide receivers sucked that year. That wasn't Washington's fault. He was great when he played.

I was just pointing out that comparing egos of those two is unfair. Both were big. One was on the cover of SI as a national champ, one was not.

I was just pointing out that comparing egos of those two is unfair. Both were big. One was on the cover of SI as a national champ, one was not.

I don't have a problem with either of them. I was pointing out that both had huge egos. I think the success of Price shows that a big ego doesn't have to be a problem.

My wife called him "Herb" again this past weekend and immediately got annoyed at both me and herself. High comedy.

I personally thought it started in '99 with Jamal Lewis. I think the problem is still there, just not as bad as it used to be.

Yeah...Chris was listing the dates for the Combine and Draft...saying that the UT players may want to take note of those....Kirk just laughed and said ... yeah it does seem like that. I can't remember, but one of them then went on to say (probably Corso)..I friend Mel Kiper thinks that there are only two of them..Ainge and the PUNTER that should even be worrying about those dates.
Actually Kiper has Eric Young as the 21st best Senior on his board. But his injury could hurt that.

VN Store

Back