Oregon vs. Tenn

GoDucks349

Here's a pretty good analysis of the Ducks by position at the end of spring practice. Thought you guys might find it of value.

Projected Post-Spring Two-Deep Depth Chart

OFFENSE

QB – Marcus Mariota (So.), Jake Rodrigues (RFr.)
RB – Byron Marshall (So.), De'Anthony Thomas (Jr.)
WR – Josh Huff (Sr.), Eric Dungy (Jr.)
WR – Keanon Lowe (Jr.), B.J. Kelley (So.)
SLOT – Bralon Addison (So.), Daryle Hawkins (Sr.)
TE – Colt Lyerla (Jr.), Pharaoh Brown (So.)
LT – Tyler Johnstone (So.), James Euscher (So.)
LG – Mana Greig (Sr.), Andre Yruretagoyena (So.)
C – Hroniss Grasu (Jr.), Karrington Armstrong (Sr.)
RG – Hamani Stevens (Jr.), Everett Benyard (Sr.)
RT – Jake Fisher (Jr.), James Euscher (So.)

DEFENSE

DE – Taylor Hart (Sr.), DeForest Buckner (So.)
NT – Wade Keliikipi (Sr.), Alex Balducci (So.)
DT – Ricky Havili-Heimuli (Sr.), Arik Armstead (So.)
DROP – Tony Washington (Jr.), Christian French (So.)
SAM – Bo Lokombo (Sr.), Tyson Coleman (So.)
MIKE – Tyson Coleman (So.), Joe Walker (So.)
WILL – Derrick Malone (Jr.), Rahim Cassell (So.)
CB – Terrance Mitchell (Jr.), Dior Mathis (Jr.)
CB – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (Jr.), Troy Hill (Jr.)
S – Erick Dargan (Jr.), Avery Patterson (Sr.)
S – Brian Jackson (Sr.), Avery Patterson (Sr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K – Alejandro Maldonado (Sr.), Matt Wogan (Fr.)
P – Dylan Ausherman (Jr.), Alejandro Maldonado (Sr.)
KR – De'Anthony Thomas (Jr.), Keanon Lowe (Jr.)
PR – De'Anthony Thomas (Jr.), Bralon Addison (So.)
H – Dustin Haines (Sr.)
LS – Drew Howell (Sr.)
KO – Matt Wogan (Fr.), Alejandro Maldonado (Sr.)

Position Notes

Quarterback – Only question at quarterback is who backs up Mariota. Rodrigues and Lockie were reportedly neck and neck throughout the spring, but if we have to choose one, Rodrigues appears to be the safest choice based on his combination of superior size, athleticism, and arm strength.

Running back – Toss up here as far who will actually "start". Marshall and Thomas are virtually interchangeable at this point and it would come as no surprise either way to see either player get the nod. Expect true freshman Thomas Tyner to join the mix when he arrives on campus this summer.

Wide receiver – The Ducks are as solid through their two-deep at receiver as they've been since before Chip Kelly was anointed head coach in 2009. Huff, Lowe, and Addison figure to be your starters, with reserves such as Dungy, Kelley, Hawkins, and redshirt freshman Chance Allen providing the bulk of the immediate depth.

Tight end – Lyerla owns the starting tight end spot with Brown more or less locking up the backup job with his overall performance this past spring. Sophomores Koa Ka'ai and T.J. Daniel, along with redshirt freshman Evan Baylis, will receive their reps, but the two-deep currently belongs to Lyerla and Brown.

Offensive line – Oregon feels good about their situations at both tackle positions and center, however both guard spots could be tricky to navigate this season. With Greig coming off knee surgery from last fall, the Ducks will rely heavily on Stevens and Yruretagoyena to provide consistency there. Fortunately for Oregon, they've recruited versatile players who can more or less be "plug and play", though their depth in experience won't be nearly as deep as it was in previous campaigns.

Defensive line – Perhaps the deepest position on the Oregon roster. The Ducks will rely on seniors Hart, Keliikipi, and Havili-Heimuli and rotate liberally with talented underclassmen like Buckner, Armstead, and Balducci providing most of the reserve reps.

Linebacker – Far and away the most difficult position to project this upcoming season. The only truly known quantities from this group are Lokombo and Washington, but Malone, Coleman, Cassell, and junior Rodney Hardrick are all versatile enough to play virtually any of the linebacker positions. Keep a close eye on junior college transfer Joe Walker who had arguably the best spring of any linebacker on the roster.

Defensive back – The one position that rivals defensive line when it comes to overall depth. The corners are set with Mitchell and Ekpre-Olomu and the safety positions are stocked with experience and proven production in Dargan, Jackson, and Patterson. Hill and Mathis provide the Ducks will solid depth behind Mitchell and Ekpre-Olomu at corner, and redshirt freshman Reggie Daniels is a rising star at safety.

Kicker – The battle at kicker seems to rest on Maldonado's consistency and incoming freshman Matt Wogan's ability to prove a worthy challenger this fall. Maldonado gave onlookers promise when he buried a 48-yard field goal in the spring game, though still has many on-field demons to conquer in order to solidify "starter" status.

Reactions: 7 people
We're getting pummeled this game imo. Too early in the year with too many questions at key positions for us, on the road, etc.. Probably something like a 38 - 20 score.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree woth Fade, just being realistic as we don't have the speed nor depth. I am afraid the Ducks will hang over 40 on us.

Will someone pls tell me what the "like" option is for? I rarely post - thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Vol94 it just just gives you the option to let the person know you agree with or "like" what they had to say.

I think the Vols will hang in there defensively a good part of the night...as long as we find a QB that can just play steady and not beat ourselves early. A turnover here and there and a little luck and we could still be hanging around in the 4th qtr with a chance. No doubt the Ducks are going to get some big plays. Just can't let them run away with it in the first half. Gotta create a little doubt in their minds for the second half.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree woth Fade, just being realistic as we don't have the speed nor depth. I am afraid the Ducks will hang over 40 on us.

Will someone pls tell me what the "like" option is for? I rarely post - thanks.

Basically if you like what someone posted, agree, found it funny, whatever click the like. It's just an Internet thumbs up.

my fear is ducks kill us then go to Fla the next weekget killed again n team never recovers... that will make for a long year.

Reactions: 5 people
Thanks GoDucks! Do you mind if we send this to DBJ and the coaching staff?

On a more serious note, I was surprised to see Lyerla at TE. I remember when he was being recruited that they thought he'd be the next Uhrlacher...

Attachments

• brian-urlacher-getty.jpg
    brian-urlacher-getty.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 891
Thanks for the quick replies. I look forward posting more comments in the future.

We're getting pummeled this game imo. Too early in the year with too many questions at key positions for us, on the road, etc.. Probably something like a 38 - 20 score.

Oregon will be one of the best offenses, if not the best that we will face this year and as you said the game is early in the season and on the road, holding them under 40 would be a positive sign imo. Last year's defense wouldn't have held them under 55 unless Oregon had the bench warmers in by the end of the 3rd.

This game doesn't set up well.. Their defense is experienced.. If the Vols don't run the ball, shorten the game, well they'll get ran out of there early.

i will take those 18 points for $50! Hard to believe Tennessee has fallen so Far that most have no faith we can keep it a game!

Reactions: 8 people
Last time we played Oregon, Matt Simms was QB.........I'll let that sink in. Either way though we still lose this game. Just being realistic, we lose 42-17

Good write up. The only positive thing for the Vols on D is they have been practicing against an uptempo offense since Butch got here. Also the O line will be the best Oregon sees all year and can control the clock. That's why they might cover the spread and make it closer than people think.

They literally have one of the best players in the country at at least 5 positions. People are kidding themselves if they think we are beating them. Winning at Florida is a much better chance.

I know ill get flamed for this but I don't care...Oregon will NOT blow us out....the Vols are fired up for this game and we have some kids comin in with some speed to help with depth. don't get me wrong..ducks may still win but score will be closer than yall think I believe...I think mainly because Butch knows how to play teams with running qbs much beter than dooley did...look how bearcats beatdown candy last year...candy is much better team than we give them credit for...I know I am a homer but score will be close...

Ducks: 20
Vols: 23

GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
I know ill get flamed for this but I don't care...Oregon will NOT blow us out....the Vols are fired up for this game and we have some kids comin in with some speed to help with depth. don't get me wrong..ducks may still win but score will be closer than yall think I believe...I think mainly because Butch knows how to play teams with running qbs much beter than dooley did...look how bearcats beatdown candy last year...candy is much better team than we give them credit for...I know I am a home but score will be close...

Ducks: 20
Vols: 23

GBO

Might want to put the bottle down and get off the couch for a few minutes there hoss. The Ducks have some serious speed.

Reactions: 2 people
I have to go to my sister-in-laws wedding in Birmingham the day of this game. I'm almost glad I won't have to watch the beat down we are going to get.

The only thing I'm looking forward to that day is watching all the bammers in their family freak out b/c they are missing the Bama/A&M game....

haha!

:hi:

VN Store

Back