Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTO, what do you know of the Lawson brothers in Memphis? Supposed to be the next great wave of Memphis players coming out and are being mentored by Penny and Lorenzen's dad. I hear UT is contacting them. Any info about these guys?

BTO, what do you know of the Lawson brothers in Memphis? Supposed to be the next great wave of Memphis players coming out and are being mentored by Penny and Lorenzen's dad. I hear UT is contacting them. Any info about these guys?

Not even worth a phone call from Martin and UT, those kids are all heading to Memphis if given the chance.

Both have highlights in the film thread.

These brothers are the real deal. I agree with BTO. Memphis bound and locked.

The only guy on that list who Tennessee is really targeting is Devin Mitchell, so I wouldn't say "alot", and it's also far from a done deal with any of those guys.

I doubt Norris or Mitchell ends up there, but the other guys are definite possibilities. Fine by me, go there instead of Alabama.

The only guy on that list who Tennessee is really targeting is Devin Mitchell, so I wouldn't say "alot", and it's also far from a done deal with any of those guys.

I doubt Norris or Mitchell ends up there, but the other guys are definite possibilities. Fine by me, go there instead of Alabama.

Agree. I know Rob mentioned we would be calling Justin Coleman. But like you said, go there instead of Bama.

Next week’s prominent stops include Indianapolis for a high profile adidas event and North Augusta, S.C., home of the NIKE Peach Jam, the finals of NIKE’s EYBL series, the premiere gathering of the summer for high school hoops talent.

-VQ

8. Tennessee Volunteers
Cuonzo Martin will lose a bunch after this season: Jordan McRae, Jeronne Maymon, Antonio Barton and almost certainly Jarnell Stokes. The Vols will still have some quality pieces, especially with Robert Hubbs, but Martin needs to get things done in the 2014 class.

The Vols have two top priorities: size and a point guard. The Vols are looking at Northwest Florida’s Stephen Hurt, Makinde London and Kevin Looney.

Nothing new, but still. "Teams in need of a big 2014 recruiting class" via ESPN

"2014 Center Isaiah Manderson rattled off a list of offers that included Oregon State, Kansas State, Tennessee, Florida State and Georgia. The 6-foot-11 prospect is hoping to take visits to check out the Beavers, Wildcats, Volunteers and Seminoles in the next two months before making a decision. He stated there are no leaders at this time. "

"Mitchell says that he plans to narrow his list down to ten schools at the end of the month. Three schools that he is certain will make the list are Wake Forest, Kansas State and Georgia. The four-star guard says that he would like to make a decision during the fall, likely in either October or November."

"Demery said following his game that he has a current list of Miami, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Marquette, Florida State, Creighton and Georgia Tech with no leader at the moment. He is hoping to make a final decision during the month of August in order to focus on his senior season in both the classroom and on the basketball court."

"Mitchell says that he plans to narrow his list down to ten schools at the end of the month. Three schools that he is certain will make the list are Wake Forest, Kansas State and Georgia. The four-star guard says that he would like to make a decision during the fall, likely in either October or November."

Those 3 schools were all mentioned by Mitchell in the latest tweet you posted on him in his thread.

Also, those 3 schools were in that "edited" tweet from him last week where he took out UT, NC State and Cincy and added Kstate and Wake to it. (Georgia was already included in original tweet)

Good article by Quinn, lots of good info:

UT BASKETBALL STAFF ON ROAD EVALUATING PROSPECTS AT CAMPS

By Brendan F. Quinn
Published Thursday, July 11, 2013
College basketball’s July recruiting period got underway Wednesday, sending the Tennessee coaching staff sprawling to small gyms for the weekend.

The July recruiting period consists of three four-day evaluation periods. The three biggest ongoing events are the Peach Jam in South Carolina, the Reebok Classic Breakout Camp in Philadelphia and the Adidas Invitational in Indianapolis.

Each UT coach is currently on the road.

Coach Cuonzo Martin is expected to appear at all three locations before the evaluation period concludes on Sunday at 5 p.m.

Martin was in Indianapolis on Thursday, eyeing five-star power forward Kevon Looney, among a bevy of other players. Looney hails from Milwaukee and is being pursued by powers such as Duke, Michigan, Michigan State, Georgetown, Florida, UCLA and others.

UT assistant coaches Tracy Webster and Kent Williams have been assigned stops at the Adidas Invitational and Peach Jam, while Jon Harris will be attending the Reebok Breakout Camp and Peach Jam.

Included in a lengthy roster of 2014 standouts at Peach Jam are Tennessee targets Leron Black, a consensus top-50 power forward from Memphis White Station, James Demery, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from North Carolina, Devin Mitchell, a 6-3 guard from Georgia, and Isaiah Manderson a 6-11 center from North Carolina.

According to a Wednesday report from 247Sports, Manderson holds offers from UT, Oregon State, Kansas State, Florida State and Georgia and will visit the Vols and others over the next two months before making a decision.

Tennessee natives Jalen Lindsey and Makinde London are among the UT targets playing in Philadelphia. Both are top-100 recruits, but Lindsey, a highly touted 6-6 small forward who recently transferred from Nashville’s Christ Presbyterian Academyto Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, carries a far higher profile as a known commodity. London, a 6-9 forward from Spring Hill, Tenn., has burst onto the scene as one of this summer’s rising stars.

London was offered a scholarship to UT following the team’s elite camp in late June.

Jordan Cornish, a 6-4 shooting guard from New Orleans who verbally committed to Tennessee in May, is at the Reebok camp in Philadelphia.

In addition to Cornish, UT also holds a verbal commitment from Philip Cofer, a 6-8, 205-pound power forward from Fayetteville, Ga.

That leaves the Vols with two open scholarships for the 2014 class, possibly three, if UT junior Jarnell Stokes declares for the NBA draft following the 2013-14 season.

The remaining evaluation periods this month with run from July 17-21 and July 24-28.

I think we take six guys (Stokes going pro and someone leaving...my bet is Reese).

So you can get:

Point Guard
London or Looney
Cornish
Cofer
Hurt
Manderson

I can definitely see a class of 6 being possible. Wasn't saying I'd pass on either, just not sure of our chances at landing either, never mind both.

Makinde London and Jordan Cornish both made the Breakout All-Star game as a result of their strong showing at the camp throughout the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back