2014-2015 Depth Chart

The Shockers made the final 4 with nothing better than a 3 star unrated player.
Counzo may need slightly better talent because of the coaching gap compared to Marshall, but he has it.

You really do go straight douche mode anytime somebody even tries to have a conversation with you.

It was a serious comment, not meant sarcastically or to be a douche. We have a history of taking guys and being enamored by their STARS, instead of how they fit our coaches system and philosophy. My point was, I'd much rather have a guy ranked 100 and a high 3* like Cofer that's fits our system to a T, than a guy who's ranked 75th but has ONE MORE STAR, however doesn't really fit our system.

It was a serious comment, not meant sarcastically or to be a douche. We have a history of taking guys and being enamored by their STARS, instead of how they fit our coaches system and philosophy. My point was, I'd much rather have a guy ranked 100 and a high 3* like Cofer that's fits our system to a T, than a guy who's ranked 75th but has ONE MORE STAR, however doesn't really fit our system.

Whatever Martha Massengill!!! LOL

I agree with that assessment. Of course you want them to fit your system better.

What do you think VCU is made up of? I'm not saying its the perfect way, but I also don't think you have to have all 5 stars to win (see Kentucky this year). I think a team compromised of mostly top 150 guys and a couple 4 or 5 stars is plenty talented enough, and that seems to be what Martin is looking to do. Surround guys like Cornish, Cofer, Davis, Thompson, Richardaon with guys like stokes, Hubbs, Lyle, looney and Lindsey.

VCU is better coached IMO. I like Martin but I think they are better coached than our guys. Probably not right of me to say it. I like Martin an hope he is here for a while but I just feel that way.

Last edited:
I agree with that assessment. Of course you want them to fit your system better.

Ok...so instead of simply saying we need more highly touted guys, I believe we need some solid guys who fit our system. We were a bubble team 2 years in a row with a couple 4 stars, and some unranked players at the bottom of the roster. I'd like to see the couple studs (Hubbs & Stokes) and surrounded by solid players who fit our system. My worries are more the bottom of the roster than the top, I'd like to see the Reese's, Q's exchanged for guys more talented but who fit our system.

We have 2 five stars on our roster this year, how many teams in the country can say that? How about the SEC? So JMO, but I think we are doing just fine with the highly touted guys. We aren't Kentucky and I don't expect us to recruit and field a roster like they do, maybe I have a defeatist attitude, idk.

VCU is better coached IMO. I like Martin but I think they are better coached than our guys. Probably not right of me to say it. I like Martin an hope genus here for a while but I just feel that way.

I agree, just like Calban mentioned with Wichita and Greg Marshall...he's a better X and O coach, but Martin beat him didn't he? Talent can overcome coaching deficiencies, we have more talent than VCU and Wichita State combined.

Ok...so instead of simply saying we need more highly touted guys, I believe we need some solid guys who fit our system. We were a bubble team 2 years in a row with a couple 4 stars, and some unranked players at the bottom of the roster. I'd like to see the couple studs (Hubbs & Stokes) and surrounded by solid players who fit our system. My worries are more the bottom of the roster than the top, I'd like to see the Reese's, Q's exchanged for guys more talented but who fit our system.

We have 2 five stars on our roster this year, how many teams in the country can say that? How about the SEC? So JMO, but I think we are doing just fine with the highly touted guys. We aren't Kentucky and I don't expect us to recruit and field a roster like they do, maybe I have a defeatist attitude, idk.

That's where Martin has got to get better (which he is). It was his fault we had those unranked guys at the bottom.

Martin may prove with some of his latest recruiting that he has a knack for finding the under the radar guys.
Maybe it's just me, but from watching them, Cofer and Davis will excel as front court players with a little strength and conditioning training.
both are vastly under rated.

I agree, just like Calban mentioned with Wichita and Greg Marshall...he's a better X and O coach, but Martin beat him didn't he? Talent can overcome coaching deficiencies, we have more talent than VCU and Wichita State combined.

Oh I agree with you. I didn't read the other thoughts after I posted that. Prob should have read them first. Makes me think what could VCU's coach do with our talent. Talent can overcome better coached teams sometimes. I wouldn't put it to the test all the time though.

Oh I agree with you. I didn't read the other thoughts after I posted that. Prob should have read them first. Makes me think what could VCU's coach do with our talent. Talent can overcome better coached teams sometimes. I wouldn't put it to the test all the time though.
Calipari.
Look what happens when he doesn't get a top 5 class.
Now compare this coming season.
Will be back on the wagon.

Calipari.
Look what happens when he doesn't get a top 5 class.
Now compare this coming season.
Will be back on the wagon.

He will have a very talented team with some of the talent that didn't go pro and the new talent coming in. That will def help him. If he doesn't win the sec with the roster he has next yr I'll be shocked.

That's where Martin has got to get better (which he is). It was his fault we had those unranked guys at the bottom.

Oh I agree...that's why I'm happy about every ranked guy we get, the way I see it we are flipping the roster over. Instead of our 7 and 8 guys being unranked 2 stars, they're gonna be top 100-150 3 stars, and I feel good about that.

Martin may prove with some of his latest recruiting that he has a knack for finding the under the radar guys.
Maybe it's just me, but from watching them, Cofer and Davis will excel as front court players with a little strength and conditioning training.
both are vastly under rated.

I think you're right....early reports from Pratt are that AJ is tearing it up. Drawing comparisons to JP.

Oh I agree...that's why I'm happy about every ranked guy we get, the way I see it we are flipping the roster over. Instead of our 7 and 8 guys being unranked 2 stars, they're gonna be top 100-150 3 stars, and I feel good about that.

Exactly, definitely will be a flip of the roster. Will be great having a bench that we won't worry about.

He will have a very talented team with some of the talent that didn't go pro and the new talent coming in. That will def help him. If he doesn't win the sec with the roster he has next yr I'll be shocked.

Dont be shocked by anything in sports today.. :)

But it really will be a disappointment if we arent ranked most if not all season, make the dance, and win a couple.

Dont be shocked by anything in sports today.. :)

But it really will be a disappointment if we arent ranked most if not all season, make the dance, and win a couple.

We def should be ranked most of the season barring injuries. We should get at least to the sweet 16 with what talent we have on the team.

We def should be ranked most of the season barring injuries. We should get at least to the sweet 16 with what talent we have on the team.

My expectations are set on regular season, 23+ wins, ranked most of the year, finish top 4 in the SEC, and make the dance with a 7 seed or better...those are my expectations.

I won't set my expectations by tourney results because the dance, is well, madness. If we go 25-5 are ranked 12, finish 2nd in SEC and get a 4 seed to the dance but lose first or second round...that's not a failure of a season to me:

Prince? Was kinda hoping AJ would be another banger body inside. JP played more of the 3 than the 4, right?

AJ definitely isn't a banger. He will hopefully add that, but at this point I see him more in the mold of a JP Prince, kind of a point forward.

okay. not mad at him, just had invisioned something different. someting a little closer to his dads game, i guess.

okay. not mad at him, just had invisioned something different. someting a little closer to his dads game, i guess.

Calban will recall it better, but I them when his dad first came in at UTEP he was much the same. It was his later years, and then once he got to the NBA that he became much more of a banger.

Calban will recall it better, but I them when his dad first came in at UTEP he was much the same. It was his later years, and then once he got to the NBA that he became much more of a banger.

Calban, he called you old player! You dont have to take that stuff. :)

VN Store

Back