Cruitin' Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Butch's recruiting so far...

"
Honestly Boys

I am at a FREAKING loss for words. What is going on here is what Phillip did his first few years as head coach. Had drinks and dinner last night with one of Coach Fulmer's daughters and her husband...a former TN great. What BUTCH is doing is nothing short of phenomenal, especially considering the shape the program is in.... I knew we didn't want Charlie Strong...but getting Butch thrown in our lap as an after-thought has been a GOD Send......

Truly Amazing

Swan"

- Swan Man on VQ

Robert Peace?

"Quick note from the Challenge

The 7-on-7s are going on today and Daniel Helm has again impressed. He's caught several touchdown passes and has been nearly unstoppable in the red zone. He's been the most consistently impressive tight end here.

Dillon Bates has looked good in coverage. The linebackers are always at a disadvantage, but he's broken up a couple of balls.

D'Andre Payne's been beat on some jump balls because of how short he is, but he's able to run with guys and stay on their hip most of the time."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 3 people
"Quick note from the Challenge

The 7-on-7s are going on today and Daniel Helm has again impressed. He's caught several touchdown passes and has been nearly unstoppable in the red zone. He's been the most consistently impressive tight end here.

Dillon Bates has looked good in coverage. The linebackers are always at a disadvantage, but he's broken up a couple of balls.

D'Andre Payne's been beat on some jump balls because of how short he is, but he's able to run with guys and stay on their hip most of the time."

- Fortenberry

Good to hear on Helms and Bates. On Payne, wasn't there a long discussion of his height in his thread? Sounds like it could be an issue, but maybe he also still needs to learn more technique? (I'm no expert)

Don't really care what he does to be honest. He is an average QB, and showed that against pretty much every defense other than Sunseri's

Looked average to me too. But Muschamp has seemed awful smug about him this offseason. Plus, he has gotten some buzz as a top 5 SEC quarterback this offseason. So we'll just have to see.

Looked average to me too. But Muschamp has seemed awful smug about him this offseason. Plus, he has gotten some buzz as a top 5 SEC quarterback this offseason. So we'll just have to see.

The Gators I know wouldn't mind if he played baseball instead.

Some notes from today in Chicago

Daniel Helm was again impressive and led his team to the 7-on-7 championship. He scored a TD and a 2-pt conversion in the championship game. He was a really, really good red zone target this weekend. Neither linebacker or corner could stop him on corner routes or fade routes. He was he best tight end here this weekend and there was a lot of buzz about him.

Dillon Bates had a good day. It's just hard for linebackers to stand out at these events because they are usually throwing to receivers and rarely check down to running back or tight end. But, he certainly covers well and runs really well and had some pass break ups. You always wish they were in bad to see them make contact because a lot more passes would be broken up if that was the case.

Some recruiting notes, Marshon Lattimore talked about Tennessee being high up there. It would be a huge upset if the Glenville defensive back ended up anywhere other than Ohio State, but he spoke highly of Mark Elder and Tennessee and is hoping to see Knoxville.

Kentavious Street talked about Tennessee being an intriguing place. He's been talking to coach Stripling recently and he knows about the need for defensive linemen. It's still very early in the process for him as he doesn't plan to get very serious about recruiting until the fall.

-Fortenberry

Reactions: 1 person
Pig

BMR14UICEAERUCR.jpg

Looking more and more like a RB by the day, IMO.

Obviously not a full-time RB, but I think he will be used situationally in the backfield this upcoming season. More so than he was last season.

If a UT RB experiences an injury, I believe Howard and D.Young are the first to be moved.

D'Andre Payne ‏@realdpayne 25m
Me and @helm_daniel put on for vol nation!

xX•TΣNNΣZZΣΣ•Xx ‏@TNswagg98 11m
@realdpayne @helm_daniel find anymore stars to join ya?

D'Andre Payne ‏@realdpayne 3m
@TNswagg98 yup!!

Reactions: 4 people
If we sign the max, it seems like it will shake out close to the following:

QB - 1 (Cornwell, Kizer, McClendon, or Doss)
RB - 2 (Hurd, Paulk)
WR - 4 (Jackson, Lauderdale, Lee, Wharton)
TE - 2 (Helm, Wolf)
OL - 4 (Blair, Brown, Thomas, and 1 HS)

DT - 3 (Ford, 1 JUCO, and 1 HS)
DE - 3 (Creamer, Henderson, Hendrix)
LB - 4 (Bates, El. Berry, Mouton, Weatherd)
CB - 3 (Ev. Berry, Payne, and 1 HS)
S - 2 (Kelly, McDowell)

K/P - 1 (Medley)

Thoughts?

If we sign the max, it seems like it will shake out close to the following:

QB - 1 (Cornwell, Kizer, McClendon, or Doss)
RB - 2 (Hurd, Paulk)
WR - 4 (Jackson, Lauderdale, Lee, Wharton)
TE - 2 (Helm, Wolf)
OL - 4 (Blair, Brown, Thomas, and 1 HS)

DT - 3 (Ford, 1 JUCO, and 1 HS)
DE - 3 (Creamer, Henderson, Hendrix)
LB - 4 (Bates, El. Berry, Mouton, Weatherd)
CB - 3 (Ev. Berry, Payne, and 1 HS)
S - 2 (Kelly, McDowell)

K/P - 1 (Medley)

Thoughts?

Looks pretty legit.
I think Gaulden/Truitt will be that extra CB.

I think we get both Gaulden and Truitt, which would be a difference. I also think we are very much in it with DJ Smith. Those three are talents I cannot see us turning away. I also wonder about Booth and the whole Malone situation. It also seems like we are in on more LBs. I could see us finishing with Bates, Mouhon and possibly Wilson or Garrett if we blow him away. I hope we can get in with Damien Price as well.

I think we land another top 20 player. I see January 2014 being just like Jan 2013, except we close on one or two guys that really send shock waves through the recruiting world.

Reactions: 1 person
Good to hear on Helms and Bates. On Payne, wasn't there a long discussion of his height in his thread? Sounds like it could be an issue, but maybe he also still needs to learn more technique? (I'm no expert)

Do you expect a short CB to consistently stop jump balls in a shorts type of situation? With pads on there's a lot more he can do. There's really not a lot of arm raking, finger stripping, or hand ripping at camps of this type.

i wish Bill Bates would pay for Dillons tuition and Eric Berry would pay for his brothers tuition so we could have more schollies

It's more than the money. It's the status of being a "scholarship" athlete and the cache that carries. Dillon's earned it, so have the Berrys.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back