Snowboarding/Skiing/Trips/and all things snowsports thread

did you do a ski school for the kids, or did you work with them

We worked with them ourselves, as ski school was sold out that day.

Snowshoe was awesome. I'm sore from head to toe and especially halfway in-between, but it was well worth it.

If anyone is considering a trip there, I highly recommend the Soaring Eagle lodge. Heads above any other accommodations we saw.

Prepare to fall a lot (hope you don't bruise easily). Get warm clothes that won't absorb water because you will be in the snow/ice all day.

I'm familiar with falling, and I don't bruise that easy.

Any brand of gear you suggest?

If it's your first time snowboarding make sure you have some really good pants. Brand doesn't matter as much as comfort and water proofness. Also if its cold, below freezing and they are blowing snow, wear gym shorts under your board pants. It helps leaps and bounds especially if you're a beginner because you will fall and be on your ass a lot.

I'm not a big brand guy. Then again I am skier and not a snowboarder (my experience has been that snowboarders are more brand oriented).

I wear something that is akin to full body Under Armour. It is synthetic (which doesn't absorb water), porous (able to breath), and keeps you warm. To me, that is the most important.

The other water resistant pants, water resistant ski jacket, googles, and hat of some sort are fairly similar. The brand names are just more expensive.

I would also start at a cheap place even though it is not as good. Learning how to snowboard at a nice/expensive place is just a waste of money.

I'm not a big brand guy. Then again I am skier and not a snowboarder (my experience has been that snowboarders are more brand oriented).

I wear something that is akin to full body Under Armour. It is synthetic (which doesn't absorb water), porous (able to breath), and keeps you warm. To me, that is the most important.

The other water resistant pants, water resistant ski jacket, googles, and hat of some sort are fairly similar. The brand names are just more expensive.

I would also start at a cheap place even though it is not as good. Learning how to snowboard at a nice/expensive place is just a waste of money.

I plan on taking the YouTube/fall on my ass at Ober approach until I become decent.

Figured I'd drop these off here.

It's amazing how far snowboarding has come along(especially competitively). I remember the days where it was amazing that someone landed a 360 and now you got kids doing these things.... and their only getting better.

Not only is the snowboarding getting better but the filming of these tricks is bar none.

30 minute documentary with Torstein Horgmo... such a boss.
Horgasm - A Love Story - YouTube

2 "Best Of" videos for 2013. Both have some of the same clips, but both are equally sick.
Best of Snowboard 2013 - YouTube

Best of Snowboard 2013 HD - YouTube

Figured I'd drop these off here.

It's amazing how far snowboarding has come along(especially competitively). I remember the days where it was amazing that someone landed a 360 and now you got kids doing these things.... and their only getting better.

Not only is the snowboarding getting better but the filming of these tricks is bar none.

30 minute documentary with Torstein Horgmo... such a boss.
Horgasm - A Love Story - YouTube

2 "Best Of" videos for 2013. Both have some of the same clips, but both are equally sick.
Best of Snowboard 2013 - YouTube

Best of Snowboard 2013 HD - YouTube

Man, those jumps are incredible, especially considering most of those guys are probably high. Do ski resorts still make you leave your car keys as a deposit/collateral if you rent a snowboard?

I read an article last year regarding the decline in popularity of snowboarding. There certainly is a generation gap between skiers and boarders for sure.

Took a day trip yesterday to Stubaier Gletscher in Austria. Great new snow. Cold as all heck. Sunny early in the day but turned to overcast and windy later. All in all a great day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back