Cross Divisional Rivals: Thoughts?

Bama and no looking back, if your gonna be a bear be a grizzly. Right now they are the best, play the best to get to be the best.

Reactions: 1 person
that's some intriguing bait 99. I'm not gonna bite though.

I figured that would register.

But, after posting it, i tried to think about when the a&m-texas game had national meaning and it was a struggle.

But, that's the not the point. The point is to those schools is does matter. A lot.

Same with auburn and georgia

99, you're talking to a guy who is pretty savvy to killing 100 year old rivalry games. Just FYI.

How do you miss the emotions of this rivalry, this poorly? Alabama and Tennessee not playing each other is never going to be an intellectual concept. Anymore than Ali vs Frazier was just about two good fighters wanting the heavyweight title. It's emotionally invested and it's personal. The SEC gets that and is doing everything possible to honor the history and tradition of these storied rivalries.

You guys already wanted out of arkansas to begin with; plus you'd get to be the only east school to regularly appear in GA, FL, and TX (playing the teams there each year)...that can do wonders for your recruiting if you guys can keep it at the the current level

I want cross-divisional rivalries gone altogether, but I know that will never happen because too many people would be upset at the loss of Auburn/UGA, UT/Bama. Trading Arkansas for A&M makes no sense, though I understand the league is trying to make the Arkansas/Mizzou thing bigger.

Darth, I think you'd agree with me on this more so than anyone.

Lets say we suck after Johnny leaves. Say were a little above .500 team. You want that on your resume?

Or in my case, say the Visor bails and hits the links for the rest of his life and yall hire some chump. You think I want another .500 team handcuffed to me every year. I dont need it, you dont need it, and its not going to do us any good at the end. Right?

Its nice now because we're both up, but crap happens. Kids graduate. Coaches leave.

Absolutely.

I cant really comment to the concept of not playing the sips. Emotionally, I'm really just over it. We tried. They declined. Its over and thats just the way it is. Contending for National Championships is our concern and frankly, we're in the best place possible to do that. We have a conference championship here. A top notch schedule year in, year out against highly ranked opponents. You cant take a week off and get by here.

As for playing SCAR, its fine now I suppose. They're a 10 win or better program recently and that makes for good scheduling. Just gotta win those matchups. Do I hate em? No. Will I? Not sure.

The mindset here has changed. We used to talk about, like yall do, what would be a dissapointing season. To that, the resounding answer here is "a loss".

Frankly, that's not too far off base currently. At least for next year.

Teams yall will play that will be ranked/ will possibly ranked by the time you meet up:

BAMA
UGA
UF
SCAR
Oregon (OOC)
and maybe Vandy in the top 25 provided they shock some folks.

Thats 5 for sure, and 1 maybe.

Whats the incentitve?

Those cross division rivalries generate huge amounts of cash for the all parties involved on many levels. Not to mention all the color and excitement that make college football the attraction it has become.
However, it does get frustrating when your rival has "had your number" for the past few years ! :hi::hi:

I cant really comment to the concept of not playing the sips. Emotionally, I'm really just over it. We tried. They declined. Its over and thats just the way it is. Contending for National Championships is our concern and frankly, we're in the best place possible to do that. We have a conference championship here. A top notch schedule year in, year out against highly ranked opponents. You cant take a week off and get by here.

As for playing SCAR, its fine now I suppose. They're a 10 win or better program recently and that makes for good scheduling. Just gotta win those matchups. Do I hate em? No. Will I? Not sure.

The mindset here has changed. We used to talk about, like yall do, what would be a dissapointing season. To that, the resounding answer here is "a loss".

Frankly, that's not too far off base currently. At least for next year.

And thus, herein lies the confusion. You left your conference. At the same time you left much of the emotional identity that came from being in the same conference and wanting the same things and having to go through each other to get it. Alabama and Tennessee haven't gone anywhere and they are not going anywhere. And they are still going through each other to get it. Get it?

Teams yall will play that will be ranked/ will possibly ranked by the time you meet up:

BAMA
UGA
UF
SCAR
Oregon (OOC)
and maybe Vandy in the top 25 provided they shock some folks.

Thats 5 for sure, and 1 maybe.

Whats the incentitve?

Good discussion.

I actually think the way the SEC Network deal is structured, the SEC will be highly incentivized to have big OOC match-ups. I forget how long CBS has first choice, but I think the SEC is now incentivized to have big OOC games. Road to championships just got tougher.

I, for one, am loathe to lose the traditional match-ups. It is the tradition and pagentry and social aspect of college football which makes it a >>>> product than the NFL.

Reactions: 2 people
To me it's whatever. I mean we play the best team in the nation every year. Lately it's just been another w on bamas schedule. I don't mind keeping it but if it went away I wouldn't complain either. I just love it football and can't wait to watch us play. Go Vols

And thus, herein lies the confusion. You left your conference. At the same time you left much of the emotional identity that came from being in the same conference and wanting the same things and having to go through each other to get it. Alabama and Tennessee haven't gone anywhere and they are not going anywhere. And they are still going through each other to get it. Get it?

I see what you're saying. Good points.

PJ, trust me. I get it. Y'all have taught me to hate Bama since 07 man. I know how important that games is to yall as fans, and how storied the tradition is. That being said, in a year like the one coming up, wouldnt you rather take a shot at say: Arky or Ole Miss just to get your legs underneath you?

Never. Playing Bama every year is a must

I can't speak for the other rivalries, but UT-Bama is just special. We each have this intense hate/respect for the other school that has grown from how important the yearly game used to be towards getting that Crown. I don't care if we are just another win on Bama's schedule right now, you don't just do away with it because one team happens to be in a big rut.

I can't speak for the other rivalries, but UT-Bama is just special. We each have this intense hate/respect for the other school that has grown from how important the yearly game used to be towards getting that Crown. I don't care if we are just another win on Bama's schedule right now, you don't just do away with it because one team happens to be in a big rut.

I'll qualify your comment with just this, the intense hate/respect is fluid and is mainly where you are standing. The fans attending the games have always been predominately respectful, before and after. The players and coaches have been overall, through the decades and even today, respectful of this rivalry. It is, without doubt, the social network, the fanatics, with computer in hand, that have been disrespectful.

Reactions: 5 people
Keep Bama on our schedule. I don't care how good they are. TN vs Bama is an old tradition and I like staying with traditions!

Perhaps the biggest disappointed I ever experienced when going to a sporting event was my first NFL game. I grew up on Tennessee v. Alabama, or Auburn or Ol' Miss when they were good (Archie who? Thanks Steve Kiner!) and by comparison the NFL was like going to a spring baseball game; no electricity, no passion just another day at the office. Many of you can name any number of Vol football games where no one sat down except at half time or the TV time outs and you couldn’t hear a person standing next to you for the noise.
The Alabama rivalry is more than a football game. It’s the glue that holds generations of college football fans together. If that game goes away (and others like it) who will care to sit around, have a couple of Jack and cokes and talk about how Kenny Sabler deliberately threw a 4th and goal pass out of bounds to stop the clock and seal a 7-7 tie; and a hundred other similar stories. At some point it’s not just about the revenue or even the wins and losses, it’s about something way more important than that.

If the Third Saturday in October is taken away it will be the dumbest move ever. I'll take the lumps now just they took their lumps the 8 or 9 years before Saban happened.

Don't care if ever other team in the country fell off the face of the earth so long as we play bama in October. IDC if we only played one game a year, so long as its bama. If other teams and other fans don't feel a need for those rivalries that's on them. With us its pretty much non negotiable. The sun rises in the east, the good Lord saves wayward souls, death and taxes, Tennessee plays Alabama. I hope I'm dead before that changes.

VN Store

Back