Tarik Black interest

Kusotate

Per Jeff Goodman: "Tarik Black drawing interest from Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tenn., FSU, UMass, 20 others- per his AAU coach Eric Robinson"

Would be weird to see him in orange and white, but good luck to the young man.

We need to be all over Black. The dude is very strong inside. Memphis' loss is our gain. I hope Martin can land him with or without Stokes.

We need to be all over Black. The dude is very strong inside. Memphis' loss is our gain. I hope Martin can land him with or without Stokes.

He's not coming to UT with Stokes still in play, i can't see him as a backup at UT when he was concerned with playimg time in Memphis.

The only restriction Pastner put on T.B. is that he can't play for a school on UM's schedule next year. I'm guessing that would preclude UT from getting him.

The one restriction Coach Josh Pastner placed on Black's transfer is that he won't be allowed to go to a school that the Tigers play in 2013-14 season, whether its an American Athletic Conference school or a non-conference school.

Read more: Tarik Black to transfer, pursue master's

Last edited:
Do we play Memphis? The series ended and Pastner is too chicken to play us.

That would make the whole deal quite ironic. But, I agree, he should be an insurance plan if Stokes decides to leave.

I had heard Gary Parish say a day or two ago that Black had been contacted by two Top 10 coaches. In today's game of player's leaving early, a player like Black can help for one year, even though he hasn't played to his potential. Don't think that it will happen, but I would certainly consider him at UT.

I think Marquette could be a sleeper- he evidently almost went there instead of Memphis, and frankly, I like Buzz Williams.

Well as of now we aren't on Memphis' schedule, and that's what Pastner said, wouldn't release him to someone on their schedule.

I don't disagree with you. Schedules aren't typically complete until late summer/August, so your guess is as good as mine how that transfer restriction would be enforced in bball, regardless of whether the new team is UT or any other school. At this point, Memphis doesn't know exactly who's going to be in their conference, much less who they will play non-conference, so it seems the transfer restriction could be somewhat of a moving target (or moot if in fact Pastner literally means teams that are "currently" on the schedule as you state above).

He's not coming to UT with Stokes still in play, i can't see him as a backup at UT when he was concerned with playimg time in Memphis.

We better do something. Kentucky's class next year is going to be unreal. Coach Martin better get us some real good players to compete with Kentucky. The bad part is UK has 6 players signed and 5 are 5* guys and the number one player in the nation is still thinking about going to UK. I mean 6 five star players in one year. :banghead2:

We better do something. Kentucky's class next year is going to be unreal. Coach Martin better get us some real good players to compete with Kentucky. The bad part is UK has 6 players signed and 5 are 5* guys and the number one player in the nation is still thinking about going to UK. I mean 6 five star players in one year. :banghead2:

No way Kentucky only going after 5 star players I thought he had the same mind set as tn fans only wanting 3 star players that want to be here n then coach them up......lol

N now u know why Kent wins nc in Bb while we can't even win the sec tournament..

The thing that's so impressive about UK's class is how far behind the second rated class (Memphis) is: one 5*, four 4* (per Rivals, 1-3* per ESPN).

And ironically, the Tigers aren't done. Which leads us back to Tarik Black. Pastner is sending Tarik Black on his way with a smile and a handshake because he's basically trading up in the draft (a/k/a opening up a scholarship) for a big time big man out of high school:

Who they have: Bravo, Josh Pastner. Bravo. They said he could never do it. They said the shoes were too big to fill. Really? While Pastner isn't John Calipari, he is doing just fine in Memphis. With the surprise addition of power forward Austin Nichols, the Memphis class moved into elite status. Since taking over for Calipari, Pastner has managed to herd the bulk of local talent into the Memphis stable. If you had told Pastner last spring that he'd have Nichols, SF Nick King and SF Kuran Iverson, he probably wouldn't have believed you. Mix in PG Rashawn Powell and SG Markel Crawford, and Pastner might have chopped off a limb to make the deal. The Tigers got everything and more out of their class.

Who they want: The Tigers aren't finished. The plan is to ride a scholarship into the spring and see what shakes from the tree. Every high-major center or power forward who emerges through the high school season will find his way onto the Tigers' list of players to evaluate. Memphis would like to close out its class with a sixth recruit, and if it does, the commitment will come from a frontcourt player, the bigger the better, preferably.

2013 Memphis Tigers College Basketball Class Rankings - ESPN

The thing that's so impressive about UK's class is how far behind the second rated class (Memphis) is: one 5*, four 4* (per Rivals, 1-3* per ESPN).

And ironically, the Tigers aren't done. Which leads us back to Tarik Black. Pastner is sending Tarik Black on his way with a smile and a handshake because he's basically trading up in the draft (a/k/a opening up a scholarship) for a big time big man out of high school:

Uhm what big time big man is even available??

Uhm what big time big man is even available??

The answer is nobody. Black leaving really hurts our frontcourt depth, since we are left with only Goodwin and Nichols as the only true bigs. We will have some big wings in Nick King and Kuran Iverson that can play some stretch 4 if we want, but will have trouble handling big teams if Nichols and Goodwin don't develop and stay out of foul trouble.

No way Kentucky only going after 5 star players I thought he had the same mind set as tn fans only wanting 3 star players that want to be here n then coach them up......lol

N now u know why Kent wins nc in Bb while we can't even win the sec tournament..

Only team that'll have 2-3 five star players off their bench :finger3:

Well, considering it's probably the best class in history, I think everyone in college basketball has the same problem. But we don't have to compete with UK. We can lose 3 games (2 in regular season and 1 in SECT) and still have a great season. Lets not judge it by that. We will have probably have top 3 talent in the league.

VN Store

Back