High school football rules discussion

No. If the team kicks the extra point once it is apparent the kick is no good the play is dead. If they go for 2 and throw an interception or fumble once the defense gains possession it is dead.

Pretty sure that college football is the only place where that rule applies. A blocked PAT or turnover on a 2 pt conversion is a dead ball in the NFL and every high school game I've ever seen.

Saw something in a high school game the other night that I've never seen. A punt returner called for a fair catch but let the ball bounce and then fielded it. They blew it dead immediately. Apparently the ball bouncing didn't negate the fair catch signal which kind of makes sense since the defenders have to all pull up and honor the signal.

Saw something in a high school game the other night that I've never seen. A punt returner called for a fair catch but let the ball bounce and then fielded it. They blew it dead immediately. Apparently the ball bouncing didn't negate the fair catch signal which kind of makes sense since the defenders have to all pull up and honor the signal.
Once the fair catch signal is given it is going to blown dead when a team gains possession of the ball.

There is an illegal fair catch signal, which means the signal was given after the kick had ended. This one is not blown dead. I have never seen this happen.

As a referee what are you looking for to determine if there is pass interference?
Not sure what you are after here. If you are asking if there can be any contact, there can be some and it depends. If they tangle feet I am not going to have a call. I am not going to let the defender face guard and never look for the ball. I am not going to let the defender take a shot on the receiver before the ball gets there. If you want to ask something and be a little more specific I will try and give you a better answer.

No, I don't have a specific question about pass interference -- just the general one I asked earlier. Sometimes I see interference just as plain as the nose on your face. At other times I don't see it. So I was wondering what the referees are looking for. So, thanks for your response but if you have more to offer I will certainly appreciate it.

No, I don't have a specific question about pass interference -- just the general one I asked earlier. Sometimes I see interference just as plain as the nose on your face. At other times I don't see it. So I was wondering what the referees are looking for. So, thanks for your response but if you have more to offer I will certainly appreciate it.
Can't really offer anything specific without seeing a play.

My son will be coming to TN to play in the Battle of Rocky Top tournament and has a cast on his broken hand. I've been told the TN high school rules will apply and cannot find the rules regarding playing with a cast anywhere? Can anyone help me with some info.

My son will be coming to TN to play in the Battle of Rocky Top tournament and has a cast on his broken hand. I've been told the TN high school rules will apply and cannot find the rules regarding playing with a cast anywhere? Can anyone help me with some info.
He will need to have padding basically covering the outside of the cast. Your son will probably have to show it to an official before each game he plays.

BTW, it is not Tennessee high school rules it is NFHS rules Tennessee is 1 of 48 states that play under NFHS rules.

Last edited:
Can you clarify the blocking below the waist rule. I thought the rule was you can block below the waist (except from behind) 2 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. However, it seems I've seen on Saturday afternoons blocking below the waist down field. is HS and College different or was that just a missed flag?

Can you clarify the blocking below the waist rule. I thought the rule was you can block below the waist (except from behind) 2 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. However, it seems I've seen on Saturday afternoons blocking below the waist down field. is HS and College different or was that just a missed flag?

High school and college are different. I don't know what all they can and can't do in college. In high school there is a free blocking zone in almost anything goes. The free blocking zone basically allows low blocks as long as they are immediate. There is more wording to that, that I can add later. One thing that is never legal is high/low blocks. By low, I mean below the knee.

Never understood the face guarding for pass interference. If the defender doesn't make contact with the receiver and throws his arms up and deflects the pass but never turns around are you going to call PI?

Never understood the face guarding for pass interference. If the defender doesn't make contact with the receiver and throws his arms up and deflects the pass but never turns around are you going to call PI?

Pretty sure that's an NFL only rule.

On a 2pt conversion, can you have an illegal lineman down field if he doesn't cross the goal line when the pass is thrown?

No, if he sticks his hand in his face to keep him from seeing the ball to catch it I am going to call pass interference.

On a 2pt conversion, can you have an illegal lineman down field if he doesn't cross the goal line when the pass is thrown?

I am sure you are getting at a big play in one of the state championship games. Instead of commenting on that play particularly I will post rule references below and you can make your own decision.

7-5-12 states:
Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral
zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the
neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this
restriction is terminated. An ineligible is not illegally downfield if, at the snap, he
immed iately contacts a B lineman and the contact does not continue beyond the
expanded neutral zone.

Rule 2-28 explains the neutral zone and expanded neutral zone:

SECTION 28 NEUTRAL ZONE
ART. 1 . . . The neutral zone is the space between the two free-kick lines during
a free-kick down and between the two scrimmage lines during a scrimmage
down. For a free-kick down, the neutral zone is 10 yards wide and for a
scrimmage down it is as wide as the length of the football. It is established when
the ball is marked ready for play.
ART. 2 . . . The neutral zone may be expanded following the snap up to a
maximum of 2 yards behind the defensive line of scrimmage, in the field of play,
during any scrimmage down.

What do you think about the modifications to the existing pass interference rules for the upcoming season? In particular the elimination of the LOD for OPI and elimination of AFD for DPI.

What do you think about the modifications to the existing pass interference rules for the upcoming season? In particular the elimination of the LOD for OPI and elimination of AFD for DPI.
I am fine with them. I am sure we will do a lot of explaining to coaches in the beginning of the season, especially at the sub-varsity levels.

Not football rules, but TSSAA guidelines. Spring Practice- Each team is given 10 days in pads, is there a limitation as to scrimmages? Or is that on the coaches? I just know some schools play one, others don't. I've always wondered if there was a limit of scrimmages in the spring and also in the fall.

Not football rules, but TSSAA guidelines. Spring Practice- Each team is given 10 days in pads, is there a limitation as to scrimmages? Or is that on the coaches? I just know some schools play one, others don't. I've always wondered if there was a limit of scrimmages in the spring and also in the fall.

I have no idea. This stuff is controlled by the state and doesn't have anything to do with the rules. I would suggest checking the TSSAA website and see what you can find.

On another thread here, there was reference made to the new NHSFA rule changes. Within that, it was stated that there would be a modification to the rule regarding the wearing of towels. I was unaware there WAS a "towel rule". Can you explain the rule and the new modification?

VN Store

Back