worst call in tssaa history

1 Year later it comes down to BBS and FCA again.

Here's to hoping that win or lose the Refs do such a good job that nobody notices they're there.

Last edited:
1 Year later it comes down to BBS and FCA again.

Here's to hoping that win or lose the Refs do such a good job that nobody notices they're their.

They got a big time quarterback slice. I wish UT would offer but he is a bit on the short side. Where is the game being played?

That's pretty bad. Powell experienced a horrible call this year against Anderson County. We were holding onto a slim lead in the 4th and we punted the ball. The AC returner called for a fair catch and the ref blew the whistle before the ball touched the returner's hands. You guessed it, the returner fumbled the ball and we recovered inside AC's 20 which would have sealed the game.

First, what moron blows the whistle before the ball is caught. Because the whistle was blown, they ruled the play was dead. The way the ball bounced, there was no way the AC returner would have ever recovered it.

If that was bad enough, they ruled the play had to be done over. Which means we had to punt again from our own territory. Fortunately, they didn't block the punt and we went on to win, but this was the worst officiating I had seen in a long time. Could have cost us the game - granted it wasn't playoffs, but still a important district game.

The ref is a complete idiot. He's coached youth games as well as a lot of our high school games. He cost my son's youth team a victory on a blown call for a fumble. Ball was clearly out (I even had a pic proving it) and he ruled the runner down. The ball came out before he even began to fall, yet he called them down.

His name is Patterson - worst ref ever.

Damn that's bad, even Stevie Wonder could had seen that!!!!!!

I know right.

What would you have done Grizz?

This year they won out right.
It sucks to lose but at least you don't feel robbed.
Final 4 is not bad and last night was honestly the state championship.
I think FCA wins easy next week.

I know right.

What would you have done Grizz?

This year they won out right.
It sucks to lose but at least you don't feel robbed.
Final 4 is not bad and last night was honestly the state championship.
I think FCA wins easy next week.

There's nothing you can do, they don't have instant replay to dispute it. You can turn it in to TSSAA but they won't do nothing. Honestly no offense, I HATE private schools I hope FCA lose

There's nothing you can do, they don't have instant replay to dispute it. You can turn it in to TSSAA but they won't do nothing. Honestly no offense, I HATE private schools I hope FCA lose

No offense taken. Some schools make it easy to hate them. We're at Boyd because both our kids need programs not offered in public schools. The education is just better there.

My kid is average at best when it comes to sports but we're lucky to have sports programs where we still get good coaching even though we're not the star.

Boyds coach is a proven man of integrity. In 2011 we had a future star as a freshman. The week before school it was found out by coach someone else was paying his way. Coach told him he couldn't play and he left the school. He's at Mccallie now where scollys are legal. We're not perfect but we do play by the rules.

All that was to say no offense taken. Lulz

Edit: I hope those cheating bastards lose too.

Last edited:
Where is "footballref" when you need him?

The process of choosing the officials for the playoff games lies with the "supervising official" for each area. The crews are evaluated/graded out each week during the season. The "best" officials/crews are sent to the playoff games starting with the highest classifications and working down. As a former official in the TSSAA, I can tell you that every effort is made to get every call 100% correct but as humans, it just does not happen. I can assure you that no one feels worse than the man that blew the call. The bigger thing to do would be for Boyd Buch to realize this was a mistake and that they should be the ones to take the high road ..........never mind........never happen.
I know I am late to the party...actually extremely late :) Just browsing the high school forum here today and saw this thread and began reading.

Of course the link posted no longer goes to the video of this play (over 2 years later).

You are correct, in my area anyway, that the supervisors choose the playoff crews. We don't necessarily get graded each week but we do get graded multiple times during the season.

You are also correct in saying that we try to get each call correct and that nobody is going to feel worse over a bad call than the official that made the call. You have a couple of calls or non-calls each season that will stick with you. All we can do is our best and learn from anything we mess up.

I noticed someone posted a link to an application to become and official and I would venture to say no one has clicked it, completed it, and become an official.

T-Town is a former official who has worked numerous state playoff games. I'd listen to him. He is spot on about trying to get it right. Whether you believe it or not a lot of time and effort goes into working a game on Friday night. I'm not going to argue the call. The video speaks for itself. No excuses. However, to issue a blanket statement on officiating in general is about as stupid as me saying that everyone from BB is a stuck up snob just because this one guy I know from there is a stuck up snob. You have no idea how much time these men give over the year to do this so the games can be played. The pay is minimal and the time commitment is maximum. Ask any HS official how much money they make and they will laugh. More money is spent in uniform, gas, fees, and lost wages than is ever made in game fees. That guy missed that one and yes it is unfortunate for your kids. However, that is not an indictment on all officials.
Without the officials, it is only recess.
I will be honest. In a typical season I will bring home $1700-$2000 for a football season.

To break this down.

This amount is for 10-12 varsity games (typically including 2 playoff games in which we get .15/mi). There is no mileage during the regular season.

This includes meetings I attend, which is usually about 8 of them that last for an hour each.

This includes middle school, JV, and freshman games I work. This is typically every Monday night and most Thursday nights.

It includes scrimmages in the spring and fall. I normally work about 4 of them.

I spend quite a bit of time on the phone or emailing other officials about plays and rule discussions in general...year round.

There is quite a bit of time watching video clips of plays and clipping plays myself...year round.

On a typical Friday we meet as a crew between 4 and 5pm and don't return to our meeting place until around 11pm or so.

For a playoff game it is not uncommon to meet between 3 and 4 pm and not return until 1 or 2 am. We have to travel during playoffs and cannot cover our own schools. We commonly travel 90-150 miles each way for playoff games.

We don't do it to make money, granted I wouldn't do it for free. We do it to continue to be around the game of football.

If you have ever considered getting into officiating and enjoy football, I would recommend pursuing it. You will wish you had done it sooner.

I agree they do miss a lot of calls both ways. It is a tough job. Not really much that can be done besides writing tssaa and giving specifics and request a ref/ump is not allowed to call your teams' games again.
My thoughts on this, If I am bad for one team I am also bad for the other team. It is not like I am good for one and bad for the other.

If that was bad enough, they ruled the play had to be done over. Which means we had to punt again from our own territory.
This is exactly the right call on an inadvertent whistle in this situation. As far as the whistle is concerned, that is something none of us want to do...but it happens every now and then.

Well, welcome back.
I've always had it bookmarked. Today I was looking around at some high school forums and thought I would see if there was anything new here. So, I stumbled across this thread title and thought I would check it out.

I've always had it bookmarked. Today I was looking around at some high school forums and thought I would see if there was anything new here. So, I stumbled across this thread title and thought I would check it out.

Yes, I was pretty unhappy about it at the time.

I know I am late to the party...actually extremely late :) Just browsing the high school forum here today and saw this thread and began reading.

Of course the link posted no longer goes to the video of this play (over 2 years later).

You are correct, in my area anyway, that the supervisors choose the playoff crews. We don't necessarily get graded each week but we do get graded multiple times during the season.

You are also correct in saying that we try to get each call correct and that nobody is going to feel worse over a bad call than the official that made the call. You have a couple of calls or non-calls each season that will stick with you. All we can do is our best and learn from anything we mess up.

I noticed someone posted a link to an application to become and official and I would venture to say no one has clicked it, completed it, and become an official.

I tired to sign up to become an official but they said that my vision is too good.

VN Store

Back