2013 SEC Caliber Recruits?

TennaciousD957

I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Many will argue that the true judge of a recruit is their offer list as opposed to star rankings. Below is a list of our recruiting class and their offers. It looks like we got
11 or so players that could play for teams that we should be competing with. 10 others are borderline SEC guys. IMO this is a good class that will help us to compete with the middle of the pack SEC and the rest of the country. Obviously Butch's job is to compete at the top of the SEC, but that begins with next years class.

Recruiting Class SEC (and other top 25 programs) offers Rivals and Scout combined

Paul Harris - Ole Miss, SC, Aub (USC, Michigan, Ohio St., Va Tech)

Jalen Reeves-Maybin - UK, Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy (Ohio St., Nebraska)

Marquez North - ALA, Aub, Fla, UGA, LSU, SC, Vandy (Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Oregon, OSU, VA Tech)

Ryan Jenkins - Miss St., Mizzou, Vandy (Clemson, Okla St., UCLA)

Riley Ferguson - ALA, LSU (Clemson, Michigan, Notre Dame, VA Tech)

Jaylen Miller - FLA, UK, LSU, SC (Nebraska)

Cameron Sutton - Arky, Aub, UK, Ole Miss, Mizzou, SC (VA Tech)

Jason Carr - ALA, Ole Miss, UK, LSU, Miss St., Vandy (Nebraska)

Lemond Johnson - LSU, Aub, UK, Vandy

Corey Vereen - Ole Miss (FSU, Clemson)

Riyahd Jones - UK, Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy

Joshua Dobbs - Arky, Miss St.

Austin Sanders - Akry* He shut it down so early he has very limited offers, however he is a highly rated recruit.

AJ Branisel - Mizzou (Nebraska)

Malik Brown - UK, Miss St.

Malik Foreman - UK, Vandy

Josh Smith - Arky

Jabo Lee - (VA Tech)

Dylan Wiseman - (OSU)

Brett Kendrick - Arky

Woody Quinn - None

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good post, OP. One of the most important factors is who is chasing who. Mid pack for the SEC, but OK. Some of these guys will be strong competitors.

The question with all recruiting classes is "how will the players develop?" I have more faith in CBJ and staff's ability to coach these kids up then I ever did in Dooley and co.

Reactions: 1 person
99% sure this isn't conpletely accurate, but nice thought OP. our class was solid, just not insane like every team from Akron to Alabama wants.

Other programs have been turned around in two years, so next year's recruiting class is critical. :yes:

This...and I have heard rumor that CBJ spent last night on the phone with Todd Kelly Jr. Good start

Yes it is. Also, CBJ said he's not finished with 2013 recruiting. Granted there's not many highly rated HS players left out there, unless they have verying problems, academics, personal, etc. But there are a few JC's still out there. I don't want to use the 6 we have left on just bodies, but we didn't sign any DT's, and only one RB. I wouldn't mind using a couple for positions of need if they have the talent.

No offer lists are 99% accurate. You can tell that by the differences in offer lists between services. I just threw this together and do think it is a better predictor of the quality of a recruiting class on the front end.

If only one high-level coach thinks a guy can play he may be right, but the chances are significantly reduced. If several high-level coaches think a guy can play, then the chances are better he can play.

I also agree that we may not be finished. I did not do this as an indictment of the class. Merely as a different perspective. Personally, I am not upset with the class. I am not overly impressed either. IMO a lot people are upset today, but those same people if Bell had committed would have been happy.

We will be lucky to hang at midpack with this bottom-tier class. The SEC has gotten too good and we have been horrible for too long. Jones tries hard, but it was a lot of chattering, followed by a swing and a miss.

Many will argue that the true judge of a recruit is their offer list as opposed to star rankings. Below is a list of our recruiting class and their offers. It looks like we got
11 or so players that could play for teams that we should be competing with. 10 others are borderline SEC guys. IMO this is a good class that will help us to compete with the middle of the pack SEC and the rest of the country. Obviously Butch's job is to compete at the top of the SEC, but that begins with next years class.

Recruiting Class SEC (and other top 25 programs) offers Rivals and Scout combined

Paul Harris - Ole Miss, SC, Aub (USC, Michigan, Ohio St., Va Tech)

Jalen Reeves-Maybin - UK, Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy (Ohio St., Nebraska)

Marquez North - ALA, Aub, Fla, UGA, LSU, SC, Vandy (Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Oregon, OSU, VA Tech)

Ryan Jenkins - Miss St., Mizzou, Vandy (Clemson, Okla St., UCLA)

Riley Ferguson - ALA, LSU (Clemson, Michigan, Notre Dame, VA Tech)

Jaylen Miller - FLA, UK, LSU, SC (Nebraska)

Cameron Sutton - Arky, Aub, UK, Ole Miss, Mizzou, SC (VA Tech)

Jason Carr - ALA, Ole Miss, UK, LSU, Miss St., Vandy (Nebraska)

Lemond Johnson - LSU, Aub, UK, Vandy

Corey Vereen - Ole Miss (FSU, Clemson)

Riyahd Jones - UK, Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy

Joshua Dobbs - Arky, Miss St.

Austin Sanders - Akry* He shut it down so early he has very limited offers, however he is a highly rated recruit.

AJ Branisel - Mizzou (Nebraska)

Malik Brown - UK, Miss St.

Malik Foreman - UK, Vandy

Josh Smith - Arky

Jabo Lee - (VA Tech)

Dylan Wiseman - (OSU)

Brett Kendrick - Arky

Woody Quinn - None

Shouldn't Ariz St be on Dobbs since that's who we swiped him from?

I think the class is good enough to fill so e positions this year and with proper coaching can get us to a 7 win season, but that's really the catch, can CBJ coach up mid-grade talent into mid-grade SEC talent.

Ariz St. is not on Dobbs b/c I only listed SEC and other elite type offers like USC, OSU, MICH, etc. IMO Ariz St. is a mediocre offer. In fact I was kinda disappointed in Dobbs offer list, but I will say that is most likely b/c he was committed for ASU for so long and shut it down. His rankings and reviews suggest he would have had a better list if he would not have committed so early.

TennaciousD957, no matter what you post and what facts you have, there will be some that will never agree with you.

Jabo is a stud IMO. On the small side, but a very good player, a 4* talent IMO. Hyams interviewed his coach on the radio today and Hubbs was on the show as well. Both stated that his injury (meniscus) really hurt him being a bigger prospect.

VN Store

Back