Rock painting

I'm not a booster, I promise. :ermm:

You might be surprised. The word "booster" traditionally has been used for large donors but that's not really the way the NCAA sees it.

What is a "booster"?
Under NCAA rules the individuals that we generally refer to as "boosters" are also known as Representatives of an Institution's Athletics Interests. These individuals, as the name implies, are considered representatives of the athletics departments and The University of Texas at Austin is responsible for making sure that they follow all NCAA rules.

How does someone become a booster?
According to NCAA rules, a booster is any individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to:

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of any organization that promotes the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospects;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

Some examples of boosters are: fans, undergraduate students, graduate students, all university faculty, staff and other employees and alumni. These are just a few examples; anyone who meets the criteria above is a booster.

How long do I remain a booster if I meet one of the criteria above?
Forever. Under NCAA rules, once an individual, independent agency, corporate entity or other organization is identified as a booster, that person or group retains that identity indefinitely.

So if I am a booster, can I help with recruiting prospective student-athletes to come to The University of Texas at Austin?
No. The NCAA has very strict rules about who can recruit prospective student athletes. Boosters are prohibited from any involvement in any recruiting activity. If a prospective student-athlete contacts you for information about the UT Athletics program, please refer them to a member of the coaching staff!

You might be surprised. The word "booster" traditionally has been used for large donors but that's not really the way the NCAA sees it.

Then let's pick a team like say...Bama...and make a $1 donation to their football program. (so we become boosters) and do some illegal recruiting for them. Then they get to go on probation...again...

Reactions: 1 person
Seriously, if the NCAA were to truly enforce this rule, they would have to police it across the entire collegiate system. Logistically, they can't do it. Do you realize how many investigators they would have to have? Everyone would be reporting rival schools saying boosters/fans were committing violations. A buddy and I could drive to the Bama campus, one of us put on a Bama hoodie and hold up a sign about a recruit while the other takes a pic and boom, violation. The NCAA can say what they want, but there is no way they could legitimately enforce that rule. If they singled us out, I guarantee UT could challenge it legally and win. All they would have to do is point out where any other school has done the same, which would not be hard, and the rule not enforced. For all their power, the NCAA must still act in a legal manner. They have been sued and lost before. They are not above the law.They want to peacock and make people think they're a bigger threat than they are, but they can not afford to enforce such a meaningless rule.

And if painting the Rock is an NCAA violation, why isn't Phil Knight giving Oregon new unis practically every game a violation? Hell, that's a benefit that other schools don't have and I could see it being used as a recruiting tool that's far more influential than the Rock. If the NCAA really wants to open up a can of worms, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. It's just not practical.

Seriously, if the NCAA were to truly enforce this rule, they would have to police it across the entire collegiate system. Logistically, they can't do it. Do you realize how many investigators they would have to have? Everyone would be reporting rival schools saying boosters/fans were committing violations. A buddy and I could drive to the Bama campus, one of us put on a Bama hoodie and hold up a sign about a recruit while the other takes a pic and boom, violation. The NCAA can say what they want, but there is no way they could legitimately enforce that rule. If they singled us out, I guarantee UT could challenge it legally and win. All they would have to do is point out where any other school has done the same, which would not be hard, and the rule not enforced. For all their power, the NCAA must still act in a legal manner. They have been sued and lost before. They are not above the law.They want to peacock and make people think they're a bigger threat than they are, but they can not afford to enforce such a meaningless rule.

And if painting the Rock is an NCAA violation, why isn't Phil Knight giving Oregon new unis practically every game a violation? Hell, that's a benefit that other schools don't have and I could see it being used as a recruiting tool that's far more influential than the Rock. If the NCAA really wants to open up a can of worms, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. It's just not practical.

Buying new uniforms isn't a violation.

wtf, where do you people get this stuff.

Buying new uniforms isn't a violation.

wtf, where do you people get this stuff.

Is it really "buying" new uniforms for practically everygame when the booster who makes them gives you the money to buy them? Oregon has at least 5-6 uni changes in a given season. What other team does that?

Phil Knight gives money to Oregon, who then turn around and give that money back to PK for new unis. Argue it how you will, but it's shady. Must be extremely nice to have the head of Nike as your premier booster. Maybe we should find out if it's okay for Haslam to "donate money" to UT athletes to buy gas. Yeah, I know it's not quite the same, but my point is PK gets away with alot because of his position.

Same place as the folks who keep saying that fans/students painting a rock on campus, is a violation by the Athletic Dept. :loco:

Calm down, the compliance department has said that they must watch the rock to see what it says. It can't have specific names on it, but they just have to show the NCAA that in a reasonable time the part of the painting that was a violation had been removed. It's not a major violation, but it is a minor one if it isn't taken down in a reasonable time frame. So, according to Todd Dooley of compliance, they do not report it every time, just when the rock hasn't been repainted in a timely fashion. So, its not a repeat offense. Also, since the rock is on campus then they must oversee that it follows compliance. It's all a part of institutional control. Check out The Sports Animal because they talk to Todd Dooley once a week about the various ways that UT must comply with the NCAA. It's really nothing to get to excited about. The recruits saw it and that's the important thing. Lastly, I know that Todd Dooley was asked how do you know what a booster is? He said to make it simple, anyone that has ever purchased a ticket to a UT game. I took it that most fans would be considered boosters. Calm down please. This is nothing to argue about.

Last edited:
I think if in some way it benefitted the recruits somehow we could get into trouble. To me that's just like saying they can't try on jerseys on their visit because it was paid for by the university.

Btw the negavols in here are really annoying. Shouts out to the guys who contributed and the positive people in here. We need some of the guys who were here this weekend.

I think if in some way it benefitted the recruits somehow we could get into trouble. To me that's just like saying they can't try on jerseys on their visit because it was paid for by the university.

Btw the negavols in here are really annoying. Shouts out to the guys who contributed and the positive people in here. We need some of the guys who were here this weekend.
Negavols is just dumb in this context. Nobody is taking anything away from the OP.

wasnt there a thread a couple days ago about some guys painting the rock - there was a pic of it - cant find it now - just like the rednecks thread, that got the zombie smokey dog tattoo.

Last edited:
wasnt there a thread a couple days ago about some guys painting the rock - there was a pic of it - cant find it now - just like the rednecks thread, that got the zombie smokey dog tattoo.

jake+tate-albums-+rock+1-15-2012-picture4582-image.jpg

here you go. it will probably get removed. Everybody be hatin'....

Twitter deleleted it, too. All the retweets and everything...

Reactions: 2 people

Alabama players get free, loaded pocket suits and it's cool, but Tennessee FANS and STUDENTS paint a ROCK on ROCKY TOP and it's a violation.

Gotta love it.

I don't follow your analogy? Looks like someone put signs over top with the recruits names ... I guess that's not "painting" the rock. lol Don't have a link but it's on twitter.

I just don't see the point of antagonizing compliance.

VN Store

Back