The Runner's thread

Nice job to everyone who has been doing work. We've been single digit temps this week with some negative wind chills but hasn't been too bad. Hit a personal milestone this past weekend. About a year ago I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me I'd never run pain free again due to degenerative bones in my ankle and foot due to a lifetime of running. Well jacka**, I enjoyed 10 pain free miles on Saturday. Feels great.

Reactions: 2 people
Nice job to everyone who has been doing work. We've been single digit temps this week with some negative wind chills but hasn't been too bad. Hit a personal milestone this past weekend. About a year ago I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me I'd never run pain free again due to degenerative bones in my ankle and foot due to a lifetime of running. Well jacka**, I enjoyed 10 pain free miles on Saturday. Feels great.

:good!:

Got back from my trip today. Took a rest day Monday, Ran 3 on Tuesday, 4 yesterday, and just got done with an easy 3 today (it's nice to run outside again). My Garmin 410 came in while I was gone, I can't wait to use it tomorrow. I won't have to guess at my paces based on perceived effort anymore, I can use the HRM. I'm going to use the basic formula for my max HR for the next couple days, I'll try to really find out my max next week with some hill repeats.

Weekly Total: 10 miles

I notice sometimes when I don't stretch long enough or well enough after my runs my legs will be sore. Not sure if that's your case but something to think about.

Yeah I didn't stretch afterward or before.

Question for you guys. Does anyone here stretch before running? I was told that it was unnecessary.

Question for you guys. Does anyone here stretch before running? I was told that it was unnecessary.

I don't. From what I've read, it's actually kind of dangerous to stretch your muscles before they're warmed up, you're much more likely to pull something when your muscles are cold and tight. If someone is hell bent on stretching before a run though, I'd say do a 10 minute warmup jog to get the blood flowing, THEN get their stretch on.

3.5 tonight 7:36 pace. It was cold tonight. 37 degrees at start and finish. Here is the view from my run.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1

I always stretch before and afterwards, but I walk a quarter to half mile before I stretch. It's part a my routine that I can't shake. The few times I haven't stretched before running my runs felt slower and my legs felt funny during my run.

There is a lot of info out there regarding static stretching vs dynamic stretching.

Static stretching is what most people used to believe was good for warming up or prior to a workout. These are traditional stretches that you would hold for 20-30 seconds, etc.

Dynamic stretching is more of active movements of muscle that bring forth a stretch but are not held in the end position.

It is best to do dynamic stretches before a run and static stretches after a run or workout.

For example, I follow a routine similar to this before I run

A Dynamic Stretching Routine | Runner's World & Running Times

There is a lot of info out there regarding static stretching vs dynamic stretching.

Static stretching is what most people used to believe was good for warming up or prior to a workout. These are traditional stretches that you would hold for 20-30 seconds, etc.

Dynamic stretching is more of active movements of muscle that bring forth a stretch but are not held in the end position.

It is best to do dynamic stretches before a run and static stretches after a run or workout.

Cool thanks

Good luck man.

Got an easy 2.5 in today, treadmill set at 2. Had a chance to use my garmin, kept my HR between 150-155, felt about right. Long run tomorrow, hopefully it won't be icy anymore because there's no way I'm running that far on a TM.

Weekly Total: 12.5 Miles

3.2 this morning in 32 degree windy weather. It was cold and there patches of ice on the road where I ran, but I achieved my goal of over 13 for the week. 13.7 for the week

7.03 today in 1:10:07. I think that's the first time I've actually run for a straight hour without stopping. I felt so good I decided to do the last mile in 9:04.

Weekly Total: 19.53 miles.

Reactions: 1 person
Left TBA after the basketball game and went to Lakeshore Park for a 6 mile run. Ran it counter clockwise this time and attacked those hills for a time just under 48 mins.

3.07 in 30:23 today. It was a little too fast considering the hills. HR stayed around 170, good tempo run I guess?

Will not believe until govols/cc chimes in to confirm.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back