3 Walk on gets Scholarships

Happy for the kids and their parents, but I have a hard time awarding scholarships to players that are not going to see the field. I mean one is a back up place kicker, one is a holder, and the other has yet to play an active snap in a game??? I get the "hey they're from TN" but......?

Reactions: 1 person
Happy for the kids and their parents, but I have a hard time awarding scholarships to players that are not going to see the field. I mean one is a back up place kicker, one is a holder, and the other has yet to play an active snap in a game??? I get the "hey they're from TN" but......?
If it's for the spring semester and doesn't hurt recuiting then I'm all for it. Reward these kids for their hard work.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hey!!! I thought James Franklin was the only one that did this sort of thing. We really missed the boat by not having this on ESPN. :birgits_giggle:

If it's for the spring semester and doesn't hurt recuiting then I'm all for it. Reward these kids for their hard work.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Sorry I only had half the story earlier and I am glad to see it was true it will not effect the number of this class. Very classy move IMO.

Seems like a hater to me

Nope. Just giving an opinion from someone who played at the same level on the same exact team (albeit on a much better squad). We won 18 straight regular season games at one point and were ranked #1 for our classification for a majority of a year, and not a one of us was DI good, not even close. Our coaches would tell you that. We had several DII and DIII kids, nothing more. Do some research before you accuse someone of being a hater. The truth remains the truth, no matter what you "believe." I bled with old dilly, won many battles with him, and lost a few too, and I'm glad he's gotten the opportunity. But there is no excuse for UT to be giving scholarships to anyone that I've played with in my lifetime.

Reactions: 1 person

Welcome to the 21st Century Vols

Proverbial "we shouldn't be wasting scholarships/These coaches don't know what they're doing/I know what I'm doing because I watch football and post on Volnation" comment.

Glad to see these three get scholarships! Love it when hard work is rewarded.

+1, shows reward for sacrifice

I've never heard of this, scholarships are for one year per the NCAA although the big ten is pushing for four year scholarships. I wonder if they are just signing a financial agreement with the school? I think Butch just gave Saban some new ideas, lol.

Played with West in high school. Not even one our 10 best players honestly. But, our team was loaded. Had several DII and DIII players. He was maybe the 3rd best WR (generously there) and the 4th best DB until his senior year.

He's a great kid and love him like a brother. but nobody at our school in the past 20 years was good enough to go DI in any sport (Except for Brynae Laxton who played for the vols in the 90's). Seems like a head scratcher to me.

Some guys peak athletically later then others. He probably worked his tail off (walk-ons usually do) and along with some physical maturation earned himself a scholly...of course this doesn't mean he'll see the field for any extended period of time but I commend his effort and hard work. He certainly didn't take an easy path.

Give them some credit. They have probably been through hell to get their scholarships. Thats 3 years of getting their ass kicked every day in practice.

VN Store

Back